ReefKeeper vs Apex

ReefKeeper vs Apex

• Total voters
James77 i have 2x reefkeeper elite and 1x lite unit. currently running on 3 different systems. i am comfortable with them with what i need them for but once it get more involved programming get weirder and weirder. Customer service with DA is as u can see close to not even having any. So i have decided to give Neptune a chance. i have place my order with them as of yesterday just waiting game now.

I am one of the defectors... had a full RKL RKE setup and was in close to $1k in their gear... I was a groupie and I wanted to like them. after some time just couldn't deal w/the BS any more and constant delays w/everything, no support, plain idiotic responses and behavior. I remember one of the death blows to my faith was when they froze a thread on their support forum where I asked a question - one which they told me to on the phone to go look for in the support forum. Question was apparently inconvenient. After several run-ins the straw for me was when I called and asked about the moon LEDs, what voltage and current they needed. After talking to someone higher up, the phone guy told me that this is proprietary information which they do not release. Just for comparison I called Neptune right away and asked the same question... got the numbers in 15 sec flat...

Sold all the DA crap, got a full Apex setup and couldn't be happier since.

:uzi:DA is a joke, not a real company and their products reflect it...

:celeb3:Neptune Systems is like a Tunze of controllers with Ecotech suport. And I don't mean that as a slight to Tunze support which is stellar as well, just wanted to make a bigger point.

Spacey :D

i have not yet bought any Neptune products but i am convinced after reading alot on here and other forums that Neptune is a much better product. i have a lot invested in Digital Aquatics right now that i will have to salvage and start over again with Neptune. so sooner or later i will selling all my DA items and upgrading to Apex.

Wireless

Wireless

not for nothing i sent neptune a msg regarding not have internet near my tank and the need for a wireless option. i got a email back in less that 1 min ( seriously ) with a work around and a link to the product ( third party) that the support guy uses in his house.

I'm interested in what the workaround is. Care to share?

Thanks.
GV

^ wireless bridge is all you need.

Apex owner here. I was VERY skeptical of any controllers but bit the bullet with an apex. I actually ran it, not hooked to anything for about 6-7 months as I had no idea if it was reliable or not. In short, it is VERY reliable! Only issue I had was the leds on the screen went out which has happened to many. I contacted neptune, got an immediate rma and sent it to them via priority mail. The day I expected it to ARRIVE at neptune, I checked my mail box and my display was already back, fixed up! That is insane fast turn around!

The programming for custom items did take a bit to understand, a lot of reading and learning but once you get it, you can set custom items up FAST. But you will be lost in the beginning as it will all feel like total greek, but no worries, like I said it just takes some time to learn.

The only complaints I have with my apex are:
- The USB cable going to the display is a horrendous joke of a cable. It is paper thin, feels like 28awg wire and it scares me to even move the display. This was just a bad engineering choice.
- They need a better "apex for dummies" manual. There is one on the net someone else wrote that was a lifesaver, which can be found via a google search. You can tell an engineer wrote the neptune guide as they have no idea how to interface with us common folk. (Part of my living comes from technical writing, illustration and document creation for a very large company where I decipher desk jocky, engineer babble and make it understandable to field / service technicians) So hard to understand manuals really annoy me.
- Neptune needs to get their own servers going for email alerts and remote access to the device rather than having us try to use our email accounts, or in my case having to set up a dedicated email account. Still have not gotten the remote access to work, however I am learning a lot about remote access, port forwarding and so forth! I mean really guys... My $99 3M WiFi thermostat can be controlled and accessed easily online, why can a $500+ dollar reef controller not do the same without having to jump through hoops to make it work?
- Display and GUI are starting to feel quite dated. I would be wowed if it was 1999 but not in this day and age. Someone at some time is going to come out with a controller that blows minds GUI wise and display wise and that is easier to setup. Just hope neptune is working on something for when that day comes or they are going to be in a bad spot.

Yes I complained a little but overall, compared to other controllers and options I looked at, Apex has the best of the best at the moment. Stellar customer support and a reliable product. I guess in reality, you cannot ask for more than that!

Brand new APEX Jr Owner and I love it... Heaters and lights are all programmed and working the way I want, remote access from my phone with the 3rd party app for Android is working well.. (turning off lights from my phone is too cool) I opted for the no LCD screen version (it's cheaper).... Access from the internet and my phone is great.

It took a couple minutes to figure out how the outlet configuration worked but once I did I was off to the races..

If I had to complain about anything it would be the heat this thing puts off.. other than that it's great.

I have an RKL (w/PC4 + temp probe) and an SL1 module (w/ ph probe + float switch kit). Total cost was 225.00 shipped brand new.

One of the reasons I went RK is because you can upgrade the RKL to the RKE if your needs grow passed the 4 module limit.

It was fully programmed within minutes as an ATO plus controlling many devices based on the temp/ph readings. There are several videos on youtube that walk you through the programming setup.

I dont see why anyone would have a problem programming the device. You set the alarms that you want based on your input values, then you setup your outlet control by associating it with an alarm.

I have not had a need for DA customer support so I cant speak on that but the RK's modularity and upgrade path were the reasons why I chose it over the Apex and I have been very happy with the RKL so far.

the neptune service is awesome. i had questions on programming, he told me im not suppose to do this but ill just pretend you asked a different question if someone comes around. he was on the phone for 15 min. to help me program my wave controller and lights, and ramp pace. this is why i bought an apex and not a rk

:wavehand:Just bumping around .... Apex is a good unit but this quip is spot on and needs a bump

Neptune needs to get their own servers going for email alerts and remote access to the device rather than having us try to use our email accounts, or in my case having to set up a dedicated email account. Still have not gotten the remote access to work, however I am learning a lot about remote access, port forwarding and so forth! I mean really guys... My $99 3M WiFi thermostat can be controlled and accessed easily online, why can a $500+ dollar reef controller not do the same without having to jump through hoops to make it work?
- Display and GUI are starting to feel quite dated. I would be wowed if it was 1999 but not in this day and age. Someone at some time is going to come out with a controller that blows minds GUI wise and display wise and that is easier to setup. Just hope neptune is working on something for when that day comes or they are going to be in a bad spot.

The GUI is effective but reminds me too much of some "Commodore 64" stuff, almost in a "Visi-Calc" way :hmm5:...gheez its 2011 ... and the float switch break out box thing is a lil goofy....
....but to honest I can't complain much more than that ...just chimeing in...

This post has definitely pushed me strongly in the direction of apex. Before I read up on any of the forums I was leaning more towards RKL just because I had heard more about it, but after hearing the overwhelming benifits of apex I have definitely been swayed the other direction.

Thanks a ton!
-AC

There are tons of people that have jumped ship from the Apex and gone to the RK. This is just one thread. I think that they are both good products that essentially serve the same functions. There will always be advocates on both sides. You need to see both products in person and choose what works for YOU.

There are tons of people that have jumped ship from the Apex and gone to the RK. This is just one thread.

That is simply not true at all. In every single thread that compares RK and Apex, the vast majority of posts are from people running away from Digital Aquatics as fast as they can....a quick search will show that. I have seen at the very most 2 0r 3 posts of people switching to Digital Aquatics from Neptune. That is not just here, but on every other forum and blog out there.

This post has definitely pushed me strongly in the direction of apex. Before I read up on any of the forums I was leaning more towards RKL just because I had heard more about it, but after hearing the overwhelming benifits of apex I have definitely been swayed the other direction.

Thanks a ton!
-AC

I have owned all controllers by both companies, and you will not go wrong with Neptune. The service alone, should you even need it, is far better than DA.

If you were looking at the RK Lites, the Apexjr may work well for you. It is what i use now. For the same price as the RKL level 1, you get the same amount of controlled outlets, further expansion possibilities, and web server built in. It lacks a display, but I never really used it on either the Apex or RK Elite. I use my phone instead...works just as well.

That is simply not true at all. In every single thread that compares RK and Apex, the vast majority of posts are from people running away from Digital Aquatics as fast as they can....a quick search will show that. I have seen at the very most 2 0r 3 posts of people switching to Digital Aquatics from Neptune. That is not just here, but on every other forum and blog out there.

I disagree. I did my research before going with the RK. I found many people that had the Apex and went to the RK and vice versa and many reasons for the changes. There are just as many advocates of the RK as there are of the Apex and anyone who takes the time to do proper impartial research will see that.

James' statement that only two or three people total have switched from the Apex to the RK shows the limits of his research.

James' statement that only two or three people total have switched from the Apex to the RK shows the limits of his research.

Ummm...yeah. I have researched plenty, and have owned all of the controllers made by each. Just look at the poll at the top of this thread to see which one wins out. Yes, "2 or 3" was a little bit of an exaggeration- I was hoping that didn't need to be pointed out. However, I can say with complete confidence that there are far more people switching from DA to Neptune than the other way around. There have been countless threads here on RC, and there is almost never someone saying they switched from Neptune. Neptune simply offers more features and better service...I know, I have experienced both.

Last edited:
I disagree. I did my research before going with the RK. I found many people that had the Apex and went to the RK and vice versa and many reasons for the changes. There are just as many advocates of the RK as there are of the Apex and anyone who takes the time to do proper impartial research will see that.

BS ... put up some links to prove it. Complete rubbish. Dunno where you've been searching buddy but it sure as hell isn't internet on planet earth. If you spend more than 5 min looking around it becomes blatantly obvious that DA and their crappy little operation with the shitty little products that it results in , have been loosing customers faster than a speeding bullet. Yes there are those who buy their crap but most of them do it because they are not informed and very quickly realize the depth of the swamp they just stepped into. Then they stay w/them only because they are too lazy to sell and go w/someone else. But this only lasts as long as their components don't fail, which is not that long.

Spacey :debi:

Sounds like a battle of apple vs pc..lol. I have a reef keeper lite and have been happy with it. Sure apex units are nice but I didn't see the added value unless you are running a system with specific model power heads

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Back