Reeflo/Sequence Skimmer Club

OK, this is probably one for JR, but I cleaned the venturi by allowint it to suck hot R/O water through it....and no change really in the bubble level in the neck. The pipe was nearly closed to even get any foam to make it into the cup.....so I decided to try and increase the water going through the skimmer by moving the pipe to the open position...and in a day I was again getting foam over the cup......does this make sense? I thought restricting the flow would mean more foam, but with the increased flow I am getting more foam.......still not the sludge I had before, but something!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13714839#post13714839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pike614
OK, this is probably one for JR, but I cleaned the venturi by allowint it to suck hot R/O water through it....and no change really in the bubble level in the neck. The pipe was nearly closed to even get any foam to make it into the cup.....so I decided to try and increase the water going through the skimmer by moving the pipe to the open position...and in a day I was again getting foam over the cup......does this make sense? I thought restricting the flow would mean more foam, but with the increased flow I am getting more foam.......still not the sludge I had before, but something!

Can you give me an update on your setup? How are you feeding the skimmer? Estimated previous and current feed flow? Bioload, tank size, and flow going through your sump. Pics of your set up would also help get you dialed in. Where is the water level at in the skimmer with the pump off and where is it at with it on. Do you have a kill a watt to measure wattage (good way to tell when the venturi needs cleaning. Pouring hot water down the venturi doesn't work when you don't do it routinely, as the calcium is already caked. However it does work if you clean it (removal and cleaned out with a device like a dental pic) and then routinely poor water down to deter the build up of calcium and air drawn particles.

more info

more info

Hey JR, OK here we go. The skimmer is being gravity fed from the overflow via 1"SPA flex that is a "y" fitting off the main 2" drain line. I am not sure on the flow to the skimmer, but that has not changed since set-up and since the skimmer was pulling more gunk. The return pumps are 2 Eheim 1262 pumps @ 600GPH each @4'Head, so about 1200GPH through the sump.

Water level with pump off, water level is always at this level.
IMG_2154.JPG

Pipe in the open position. If I close it off at all, the foam does not reach the cup.
IMG_2151.JPG

Skimmer running, slight foam in cup...pipe is in open position allowing max flow to skimmer.
IMG_2148.JPG

My bioload consists of 20 fish, including 5 tangs all 5"+ The system is a 450g display, with a 150 sump...so I'd guess about 550g total water volume. ANy info will help! Thanks!

There are a few things wrong with the way your skimmer is set up.
1. the output tee (top of tee) really should be no higher than the top of the Reeflo lettering. This is why you are having a hard time adjusting the water level.

2. there really should be another tee on the output that is entering your sump if you plan on having it submersed. This will guaranty that no air pockets are disrupting your output flow.

They can still collect airborne debris and can eventually clog the venturi but not like the old style used too. The older reeflo venturis use to clog from calcium precipitate right at the 90dregree turn towards the volute. A Killawatt is an easy indicator to tell when to service the venturi. Watts will rise due to air restriction.

OK JR, thankls for the input. My only issue with a shorter pipe for getting the top of the tee at the reeflo lettering level is then the skimmer is above the level of the overflow feed....so the water level is even lower in the skimmer. Will I have to go to a feed pump? I'll add a "T" to the end of the outflow pipe from the skimmer also. Thanks!

I think i am going with a 72x36x25 280g tank with a 75g sump. I am trying to figure out what is better. I could go with the 200 pro with cup and needle wheel or am i better to just go with the stock 250? It will be a mixed peninsular reef. Then end up about the same price that way or should i just start with the cheaper 200.

Did not know if you guys had any thoughts I don't know what to go with.

Another ? i am want to put this tank as a peninsular off of a sliding glass door. I want to keep the skimmer out on the patio does anyone recommend against this? I guess i could build some kind of housing if i was worried about the elements. LMK

Thanks
Jason

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13744880#post13744880 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lowredranger
I think i am going with a 72x36x25 280g tank with a 75g sump. I am trying to figure out what is better. I could go with the 200 pro with cup and needle wheel or am i better to just go with the stock 250? It will be a mixed peninsular reef. Then end up about the same price that way or should i just start with the cheaper 200.

Did not know if you guys had any thoughts I don't know what to go with.

Another ? i am want to put this tank as a peninsular off of a sliding glass door. I want to keep the skimmer out on the patio does anyone recommend against this? I guess i could build some kind of housing if i was worried about the elements. LMK

Thanks
Jason

Personally I would go with the Reeflo 250. Even with the 200 Pro kit you will still have better performance with the stock reeflo 250 and will still have the future option of upgrading. The only things I would worry about running externally is the temp, pesticide sprays, and the weather (the elements). I guess it really depends on were you live too.

That was what i figured.

As far as the elements i do live in Orlando, FL so i was mainly concerned with the water part of it but i could build a box or something to shield it to a degree. Any other thoughts on that let me know i was just trying to get it outside b/c of it's huge size and won't be able to fit under the stand.
Thanks

wet versus dry

wet versus dry

What is the difference between wet and dry.......
as far as the benefits

also...which is better?

This has been a debate since performance skimmer came out. There has been thought that by skimming wet removes more nutrients out of the water but in fact is more H2O. To my knowledge there has not been a scientific study to prove the beneficial difference between the two. I really don't find there to be a beneficial difference either way. I prefer to skim dry as this has always worked best for me. If you skim heavy and wet you may require to add a saltwater top off every now and then depending on your systems water volume.

I think it really comes down to personal preference.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13746950#post13746950 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by roktsintst
JR, any word on the 200 impeller?

I am expecting the final prototype Reeflo 200 wheel at the end of this month. I will keep everyone posted with the wheel and its results.

I already have the bigger cup but im getting a little bored with this skimmer. I just can't adjust it easy enough and even if i get it where i want it, every time i clean the cup i have to re-adjust the skimmer.

My friend has a bk 300ext on his 540 and it pulls an incredible amount of dark nasty skimmate with hardly any bioload. The size of the bubbles is amazing and i just can't get that on my reeflo. From what you have seen by the new NW, how does it affect the bubbles? Are they smaller or are there just more of them?

Also, every time i clean the cup i have to totally open the wedge valve to lower the water volume enough to get the cup off. Then when i put it back on i have to readjust the wedge valve and it is never consistant. Are you doing the same thing?

Turn off the pumps roktsintst. I don't know of any skimmer that allows you to remove and clean the cup without either adjusting the water height/flow and/or turning off the pumps.

The new needlewheel create a massive amount of very very small bubbles.

hahaha, yeah i do turn off the pump. but to get the water level high enough in the reef specialty cup i have to damn near close the wedge valve all the way. then to remove it for cleaning, i turn off the pump and open the wedge valve all the way so the water level drops low enough for me ot take off the cup without getting water everywhere.

Do you have another idea of how to clean the cup without getting water everywhere???

Back