Reeflo/Sequence Skimmer Club

Is your skimmer not higher than your sump? When I say turn off your pumps, turn off the needlewheel AND the feeder pump. With both of those off, the water level should be plenty low enough to take the cup off.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13750376#post13750376 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by roktsintst
I already have the bigger cup but im getting a little bored with this skimmer. I just can't adjust it easy enough and even if i get it where i want it, every time i clean the cup i have to re-adjust the skimmer.

My friend has a bk 300ext on his 540 and it pulls an incredible amount of dark nasty skimmate with hardly any bioload. The size of the bubbles is amazing and i just can't get that on my reeflo. From what you have seen by the new NW, how does it affect the bubbles? Are they smaller or are there just more of them?

Also, every time i clean the cup i have to totally open the wedge valve to lower the water volume enough to get the cup off. Then when i put it back on i have to readjust the wedge valve and it is never consistant. Are you doing the same thing?

When you get the upgrade cup you sill not have to lower the water level as I currently just shut off my skimmer pump and remove the cup. The new wheel will take your 200 to the next level with a froth of really fine bubbles with easy adjustment between wet and dry skimmate. The problem with the previous 200 prototype wheels isn't getting fine bubbles or pulling a ton of air (in most cases too much) but we're really trying to get the right amount of air for this model and decrease turbulance with a better air to water ratio. However I do feel the next prototype will be the winner and should impress all of us Reeflo 200 owners.:D

I just got my 250 so I'm now part of the club!!!!!

Got a quick question:
The system came with three pipes - short, medium, long

Which pipe is for which part of the overflow?
The long one is puts the tee too high so I know its not this one. The medium put the tee right at the cone and
The short puts the tee right below the cone.

And do you glue all the pvc pipes aside from the rotating piece on the top of the tee?

You want the tee even with the Reeflo lettering. After you've confirmed all of your fittings it is best to glue them to avoid a leak. You are correct; do not glue the adjustment pipe that comes off the top of the tee.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13750776#post13750776 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RokleM
Is your skimmer not higher than your sump? When I say turn off your pumps, turn off the needlewheel AND the feeder pump. With both of those off, the water level should be plenty low enough to take the cup off.

Yeah my skimmer sits above my sump. However, i gravity feed my skimmer so i have to make adjustments every time i need to clean the cup.

JR, i have been hearing that the NW will be ready anytime now for quite a while so i wont hold my breath. Hopefully it is done by the end of this month and it is well worth the wait!!!!

We will see when it comes in...

Rok, i would add another ball valve to your setup so you can leave one set to the water flow you want and add another above it when you need to cut the water flow all together. That is what i am thinking of doing.

The experts can let you know if that seems like a reasonable idea.

i completly agree however there isn't room for another one. if i were to add another one i would add a gate valve for more precision control an use the existing ball valve as my on off..

We will see how the skimmer does with the new neddle wheel. right now the skimmer is just not doing as well as i would like it to be. If it doesn't do what i need it to then i will end up switching to a ATB or BK. i am really hopeing that there is a big differnce with the new NW....

The Reefo 250 Upgrade wheels are sold out but they are taking orders because of the high demand and should be available soon.

The 200 wheel is still being tweaked and is in its final phases. I should be getting the new prototype within the next couple of weeks. Once the 200 meets expectations then they will go into production.

ATB vs Reeflo pro? need your advice!

ATB vs Reeflo pro? need your advice!

I'm setting up a 340g with a 155 sump, total water volume will prolly be around 400g or so, considering LR and sump not being filled all the way up.
Skimmer needs to be external. I really want the ATB large, but found out that for some reason, they charge like $500 more for the external - i dont get it... price of internal is comparable to BK 300 deluxe but external costs alot more.

I posted in another thread asking for comparisons and someone recommended I go with a 250 PRO.
What are the opinions here? anybody had an ATB? they are conical, and really make sense as far as calming the bubble body as bubbles rise. The airstar pumps seem to be very good and dont draw alot of watts while drawing alot of air and very fine bubbles.
However, the price difference is around 1000 more for the ATB and is abit hard to justify for me unless the preformance and ease of use is better. of course 100ish more watts will add up with the skimmer running all the time, so cost margin will narrow with time passing.

Please help me out but only if you have experience or know info about the ATBs compared to a 250 PRO.

Thanks!!!

GRRR, got my 250 all set up and it is beautiful but the cup at the top of the rim is starting to craze and stain. I dont know what the problem is. I had my 300 octopus tdwn in there before and it did the same thing. I talked to the skimmer manufacture and they told me it was something in the air. My tank has been up a year and it only crazes in the cup. What could be causing this?

Anyone have a stock cup they want to sell?

constsntin,the bubbles in the neck are calm and move slow up to the cup on the 250 you will like this skimmer it keeps my tank water clear at all times and nitrates are 0 what more could you ask for it's well built and it's 1000 cheaper.

Re: ATB vs Reeflo pro? need your advice!

Re: ATB vs Reeflo pro? need your advice!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13773220#post13773220 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Constantin
I'm setting up a 340g with a 155 sump, total water volume will prolly be around 400g or so, considering LR and sump not being filled all the way up.
Skimmer needs to be external. I really want the ATB large, but found out that for some reason, they charge like $500 more for the external - i dont get it... price of internal is comparable to BK 300 deluxe but external costs alot more.

I posted in another thread asking for comparisons and someone recommended I go with a 250 PRO.
What are the opinions here? anybody had an ATB? they are conical, and really make sense as far as calming the bubble body as bubbles rise. The airstar pumps seem to be very good and dont draw alot of watts while drawing alot of air and very fine bubbles.
However, the price difference is around 1000 more for the ATB and is abit hard to justify for me unless the preformance and ease of use is better. of course 100ish more watts will add up with the skimmer running all the time, so cost margin will narrow with time passing.

Please help me out but only if you have experience or know info about the ATBs compared to a 250 PRO.

Thanks!!!

That is a tough question to answer. I have not personally seen the ATB large ext in person but from what I have seen and have heard it is a solid performing skimmer. Has a great pump and body design. I would like to try one out myself, if I could every afford one.

I have seen many Reeflo 250s and 250 Pro set ups on different tanks. Every one of them performed extremely well and with little in the complaints department. Yes the pump draws a little more juice than the Askoll on the ATB but it is a quiet fan cooled pump with a 5 year warranty and readily available parts. The body has an impressive size and is built like a tank with machine welds. This skimmer is truly built to perform.

OK so I really didn't answer your question. Honestly, I don't really think anyone can give you a definite answer. Both have shown to perform well and carry good customer service. So either way your choice of skimmer is solid IMO. I guess it comes down to how much are you willing to spend and what YOU feel will work best for your system.

well, here is the thing...
Reading many posts, I was led to believe that ATB has a design that allows it to just skim better, not more, in other words, it can strip many things out of the water that other skimmers dont, vs just a bigger skimmer that handles more water/flow but due to design and bubble size is not skimming as good when it comes to how much is being stripped out of water.
I dont know if that makes sense or not, I'm not an expert.
Does anybody have any regrets going with the reeflo pro? seems that one of the bigger issues is the venturi clogging alot - is that true?

without modding the silecer and anything else, how much air does the pro kit puts out compared to the 2200l/h of the ATB? I have seen different data from different users using different versions in this thread, so this would apply to the current PRO kit offered by RS. Also, what is the watt draw?

Constantin... regarding the 250

No regrets. The venturi is easy to clean. With the skimmer on, you open it and run a pipe cleaner in and out (I do this twice per month). Occasionally, dump some hot RO water into the air intake. Full cleaning three times per year. When I have taken it apart, I have found some salt deposits, but, nothing clogging it. The "perfect" skimmer would have a automatic reliable cleaning mechanism for the neck and venturi.

The skimmer does seem to go "on strike" from time to time. Often after cleaning the neck. By this I mean periods of zero foam production. This can last a few days or a week. My old aqua C would do the same thing. It annoys me... but... I can't say it is really a problem. It always comes back on line. The "perfect" skimmer would always produce foam so as not to annoy the aquarist.

Also, this skimmer will overflow when turned off an back on. So, you want to have some mechanism to cope with this so it does not drain your tank... Any skimmer can do this... but the "perfect" skimmer would not (if one exists).

I would probably do it again with the same skimmer given the options.

I have the upgraded cup and motor. Not the upgraded needle wheel (yet).

I can't answer the air flow question or watt draw.

While I can't say this skimmer is pefect... I can give it the following endorsement. The total volume in my system is about like yours. I feed like crazy and have seven messy tangs. Never have I detected nitrates or phos in my tank. The customer service from RS is unbeatable... so the fun factor has never been interrupted with tweaking or tuning the skimmer. If I found a skimmer with similar capacity, an automatic cleaning mechanism for the neck that was easy to set up and reliable, and guarantee never to need tuning, never to stop foam production, and never to require venturi cleaning, I would pay up to 8 grand for it. Short of that, I am quite happy with the 250 and throw my money with wild abandon at corals and fish.... rather than a "better" skimmer.

I think you have narrowed things down to two top notch choices.

Last edited:
So where are the lab test that show skimmate from a atb skimmer strips more out of the water then any other skimmer?I would like to read it.

obviously, lab tests dont exist... wish they did, however, it is also clear that a 100$ large skimmer wont skim as well as the reeflo just because its a large skimmer, quality and design still matter.

A lot of experienced people on these boards that owned an ATB have said something to that extent - Of course it could be just because they do have an ATB...
Overall, I think the ATB is slightly superior - better pump, their design is more expensive to make, and they specialize in skimmers, vs reeflo who make great pumps and decided to build a skimmer around their pump.

I dont know what to do, i hate to spend alot of money on something that wouldnt be justifiable, but I would also hate to have a reeflo, just to want to upgrade to atb later on.
If ATB externals were priced similarly to the internal ones, I would buy it right away, but they arent.

So basically I guess I want to hear about any regrets anybody has about their PRO reeflos, as far as I know, ATBs dont overflow as easily as the reeflos and dont need their venturi cleaned nearly as often, and are ozone safe without any mods - doubt I will be running ozone, but still...

The reeflo skimmers only overflow if you do let it break in correctly or have the water height too high. The newer reeflos also don't need to have the venturis cleaned out as often. Actually I am going on 5 months without touching mine since I switched out venturis. CoralVue does the bodies for the skimmers, so they are a skimmer company, Reeflo supplies the pump and Needle wheel. Either way you look at it I think you will have regrets of uncertainty with your skimmer purchase.

Here is a tank the size you are building and it uses the very first Reeflo 250 and houses over 20 tangs some 16+ inches and as you can see the skimmer is doing its job. ;)

tn_Tank_Full_angle_jpg.jpg

Back