Reeflo/Sequence Skimmer Club

Where is the T connector on in relation to the lettering?
What size pump are you using to feed the skimmer?
Do you have the outflow submerged below the water line in your sump?

Unfortunatly i can not get pics because my personal cpu crapped out.

As far as the T, i believe it the top of the T is right at the top of the reeflo lettering. I did not cut the pipe or anything and i used the short pipe based on Pauls set up.

As far as the pump, i am running a Reeflo Barracuda for the entire tank and running a ball valved manifold off of the return.

The output pipe is about 1-1.5 inches in the water

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13837760#post13837760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sw500
take the outpipe and put it above the water

Ditto or add a 'T' where the 90 degree elbow is.

I received what I am hoping is the final prototype wheel for the Reeflo 200 Pro. I had it soaking in vinegar yesterday and now it is soaking in a cup of skimmate. I find that this speeds up the break in of the wheel. I will throw it on the Reeflo tonight and report any thoughts back to this thread> http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1526846

DSCN3418.jpg

DSCN3425.jpg

FYI: Good Mod!

FYI: Good Mod!

Not sure if this has been discussed here but here goes:

I did a simple mod to my Orca 250. I drilled out the tiny drain hole and increased it to fit a 3/4 inch hose adapter. I glued the hose adapter in with a special "plastic" super glue and sealed it with Weldon (the thick stuff). I did the same for the waste collector on the floor. I also plugged up the holes with duct tape in the waste container cap.

Before the mod I had to continually clean the drain hole and drain hose. Now it stays clean for a really long time.

Also, since more air is going through the drain hose, there is sort of a "vacumn" effect such that the skimmate foam is pulled lower into the cup and out the drain hose. Prior to the mod, I noticed that the foam would be attracted to the top of the cup due to the exiting air through the holes in the cap. These holes had to be cleaned very often prior to the mod. I plan to permanently seal these holes soon, since there is no need for them now.

I have been running my 250 for 6 months. Took a couple of months before the tank broke in to actually have the skimmer work properly. But I am always wondering if it is actually pulling out what it should. The skimmate in the the neck really never smells that bad and the cup has not been removed or cleaned since day one and it still does not smell that bad. The collection jug does smell bad on occasion when I empty it once a month.

The reason I ask is because even though I have never had a strand of hair algae in the tank and no algae growing on the rock the glass surfaces have to be cleaned daily. The back wall has to be scrapped with razor every two weeks becausae the algae is nice and green and a good food source for the tangs as can be seen in the picture.

Here is the skimmer with the lid on and what it looks like all the time. I clean the neck every 4 days with paper towel when I collapse the head when I feed four frozen cubes.

DSC_0820.jpg

And the lid removed. It's pretty white, even though the neck and lid are thicj with black gunk.
DSC_0821.jpg

And the back of the tank after 9 days of being scrapped.
DSC_0824.jpg

nickts40,

I am little curious, How are you feeding you Reeflo 250 ?
Gravity Feed or using a pump ? GPH ?

Thanks

nickts40: Your tanks is fairly new and doesn't have an established bioload yet for your size tank. Wait till your tank matures, you will be regretting the day you ever complained about your skimmates smell. With time my skimmate has been getting progressively more foul. You know the skimmer is doing its job if your nuisance algae isn't present and you water parameter stay in check.

My system is an exact duplicate of JRaquatics. So the feed to the Skimmer is split from the main return pump, which is a Dart with AO Smith motor. If I had to guess, its no more than 5-600 GPH.

My system mentor has spoken. Just looking for a reality check. The water parameters are solid. Watch, now that I said that something will crash!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13908962#post13908962 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nickts40
My system mentor has spoken. Just looking for a reality check. The water parameters are solid. Watch, now that I said that something will crash!

I forgot to mention that you tank is looking good.:thumbsup:

I have a Orca 200 that i bought off a friend that was moving and was originally going to put it on a 180g but i am now in the beginning stages of putting together a 280g with a 75g sump. Do you guys think the 200 will be big enough, I know it says it is rated up to 400g. I figured after i increased the bio-load over time i would get the pro kit with new skimmer cup and needle wheel.

It never ceases to amaze me how undetectable phosphate, levels as measured by 3 kits, is never truly zero. On Monday, prior to posting my earlier pics, I changed and doubled the amount of phoasban I use. Put in 454g, the entire can. Today, the back glass is basically free of algae, and the green/brown stuff on the gravel bed is totally gone.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13922242#post13922242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nickts40
It never ceases to amaze me how undetectable phosphate, levels as measured by 3 kits, is never truly zero. On Monday, prior to posting my earlier pics, I changed and doubled the amount of phoasban I use. Put in 454g, the entire can. Today, the back glass is basically free of algae, and the green/brown stuff on the gravel bed is totally gone.

Yup that is why I don't bother testing for Phosphates. What kind of rock did you use for your setup?

I have a orca 250 on a 500 gallon total volume system with around 30 fish 7 of em being tangs and do 40 gallon weekly water changes and have a good clean up crew yet my nitrates are still creeping up...i dont overfeed either. Do i need to add a skimmer? Is my bioload to much for that skimmer to handle? Skims well also and is cleaned regularly.

Thoughts?

Dennis

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13922591#post13922591 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luvreefs23
I have a orca 250 on a 500 gallon total volume system with around 30 fish 7 of em being tangs and do 40 gallon weekly water changes and have a good clean up crew yet my nitrates are still creeping up...i dont overfeed either. Do i need to add a skimmer? Is my bioload to much for that skimmer to handle? Skims well also and is cleaned regularly.

Thoughts?

Dennis

What is the display tanks size? Do you have the Pro kit? What do you have for flow in the display?

Back