Refugium

t.trezona

Great looking tank. I'm interested in your refugium nutrient export system. Have you had any problem with the Caulerpa growing in the display tank? What species do you use? Has it ever gone asexual? Why or why not? I notice you use a reverse daylight photoperiod. Some say using a 24hr photoperiod may prevent it from going asexual. What is your experience?

t.trezona

Thanks. Caulerpa does not grow in the display tank and that is good. When I initially set up the tank sprouts of it came out from nowhere and was difficult to control. Eventually the caulerpa did go away.

I use grape and razor caulerpa. The grape is extremely fast growing and has gone asexual on several occassions. I've found that if the salinity changes to fast (from water topoff) it may go asexual. Also if the growth gets too thick the underlying growth may also go asexual. Keeping the caulerpa pruned has been so far an effective method of keeping from going asexual. I myself have not experienced a need to use a 24hr photoperiod. Opinions and experiences on this vary though so check around.

Going asexual

Going asexual

John- what has happened when the caulerpa has gone asexual? Any major problems in your display tank? How did you handle? Some say lots of carbon and quick water change. Any other thoughts? Thanks - Tom

Tom

If there is a major dieoff, the tank will cloud up for a while. It looks quite alarming but in reality is not critical. Just to be sure, it may be wise to add some carbon and do a water change as soon as it is convenient.

What I often do is break apart long branches to help minimize a major dieoff. If a branch dies off for instance often times it is the only branch that dies off and not the whole interconnected stand of caulerpa. I haven't had a major die off for a long time by doing this.

HTH,

John - I appreciate your comments. I am in the process of setting up a 60gal refugium for my 155 display. I'm going to attempt to do as you have done with the Caulerpa. Thanks for your help - Tom

Back