Refugiums

bangai64

For those of you running fuges, what types of macro's are you using and what's your experiences with it.

Reason I ask is I have a very large sump that used to house my frags, but now want to turn part of it into a fuge.

By the way looking for macro for a new fuge. Lol!

Cheato seems to be the bread and butter option. It grows fast, is easily harvested, and it does not need to attach to anything.

I have a lot of cyano in my fuge (none in the display so I won't complain) and find it chokes out the chaeto as well as the purple one that looks like chaeto. Most varieties of callerpa, and dragon's breath don't seen to be affected by the cyano.

I have plenty of cheato for u. I tried dragons breath and shaving brush but both would die off a bit every now and then so sticking to just cheato from now on.

Chaeto is great because if it dies it does not leach all of the nitrates and phosphates back into the water as it goes sexual, unlike caulerpa. I like chaeto, red grape caulerpa (not as bad the green one that sends out runners and goes sexual) and dragons breath. But if not on display go with chaeto, it's easy to grow, prune and shake out into the tank to harvest pods.

Chaeto is great because if it dies it does not leach all of the nitrates and phosphates back into the water as it goes sexual, unlike caulerpa. I like chaeto, red grape caulerpa (not as bad the green one that sends out runners and goes sexual) and dragons breath. But if not on display go with chaeto, it's easy to grow, prune and shake out into the tank to harvest pods.

If an algae or anything organic for that matter dies and is not removed from the system it will release nutrients. Going sexual and dying are two different things. ;)

Both happening cause leaching of everything it has pulled out. So for if you are not looking often it can cause problems. That was my point. I am sorry that my terms were off, I hate it when I read things about culturing and they say sterile and all they did was bleach, thanks for the the heads up.

With everyone on the topic of Marco algae...Has anyone tried growing macro algae with xr30w or xr15w? I feel like you can utilize the blue, uv and red leds to set it up as a marco grow light in a way. Similar to the Kessil grow light that they offer.

With everyone on the topic of Marco algae...Has anyone tried growing macro algae with xr30w or xr15w? I feel like you can utilize the blue, uv and red leds to set it up as a marco grow light in a way. Similar to the Kessil grow light that they offer.

I'm sure it will grow lots of macro. Just would be more money then most want to spend to grow macro

Well I am not using an expensive light as you mentioned but I am testing a grow light out on my cheato to see if it grows faster then a 6500K light I was using before. So far it has taken off like crazy.

c1702d8c69c6f98579c6e1daf99cf32c.jpg

Now thats what i'm talking about! What grow light is that?
I wonder if it'll end up making thicker chaeto and overall stronger, instead of some fragile chaeto i've experienced that will have a ton of small pieces break off and end up making a mess in the sump.

It's a cheap grow light from Amazon

So far the light has been on the refugium for about three weeks. The cheato is about four times bigger now, than it was in the picture I posted above. Again it's just a test to see what happens. I have 6500K bulbs that I can swap out if I see poor results. I do see algae growing in the skimmer, but to be fair I saw it growing with the daylight bulb too. I just wipe it out with a clean rag every other week and it seems to be doing me well. I will keep you posted on how I like the grow light. Link of bulb below

710a1621e557401cf28486e2c70b79fb.jpg

-Robert

Well I am not using an expensive light as you mentioned but I am testing a grow light out on my cheato to see if it grows faster then a 6500K light I was using before. So far it has taken off like crazy.

c1702d8c69c6f98579c6e1daf99cf32c.jpg
I have watched this thread and didn't want to say anything because most of the time people think I'm crazy. . But I'm running a similar setup but with more oomph. . It's a 300 watt equivalent led grow fixture. I get about a 5 gallon bucket of cheato every 7 days. .
f1cdfbdde509107a509f3610460dadef.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk

I'm going to start running a fuge on the frag tank this weekend and was thinking about this grow light as well. Good to see its producing positive results.

Back