Regal Angel Primer

So my Regal is now eating pellets and frozen. The bone showing on the fin has not gotten any better though and I am a bit worried about it. It almost looks as if the bone is broken on at the tip probably from collection. Around the exposed area is red. I am doing water changes to keep quality up and soaking food in selcon. I am getting my vitachem tomorrow to add to that. I am just wondering if I should be doing any antibiotics or just keep waiting it out. I tried to take pictures as best as possible. It's the bottom right pelvic fin. The bone is actually white and not blue as the first picture shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to be infected.
If the fish is still in a QT and easily caught I would take it out and apply some lugol's iodine solution to the wound with a Q-Tip.

It seems to be infected.

If the fish is still in a QT and easily caught I would take it out and apply some lugol's iodine solution to the wound with a Q-Tip.

Ok. I will do that for sure. My LFS is closed for the day but I will get Lugols from him tomorrow. I have a few questions though. How long should I keep the fish out of water after applying Lugols? Should I clip the bent ray? Lastly I was going to start my second round of Prazi tonight. Should I hold off on that?

Ok. I will do that for sure. My LFS is closed for the day but I will get Lugols from him tomorrow. I have a few questions though. How long should I keep the fish out of water after applying Lugols? Should I clip the bent ray? Lastly I was going to start my second round of Prazi tonight. Should I hold off on that?

It is primarily used to disinfect wounds (on humans) so your LFS will likely not have it. But you will find it for sure in every pharmacy and even at many supermarkets in the first aid department.

It is primarily used to disinfect wounds (on humans) so your LFS will likely not have it. But you will find it for sure in every pharmacy and even at many supermarkets in the first aid department.

Ok. I got it at my pharmacy. I caught the Regal and inspected the fin before putting on the Lugols. The ray was definitely broken and just hanging on. I removed it and applied the Lugols as explained. He's back in the QT and I'll keep monitoring. I have decided to skip the Prazi for now as I don't want to stress it too much. I'll just have to do two rounds later on.

Need help to get Regal to eat.

Need help to get Regal to eat.

Ive had my RS regal for 9 days now. And unfortunately, ive only seen it pick at nori once since i got him.

Here is what ive tried:
- Hikari frozen mysis
- Hikari frozen brine
- Live brine
- Live black worms
- Fresh clams
- Frozen clams
- Fresh oysters
- Pellets
- Flakes
- Nori
- Red algae
- Dosed with garlic, Angelixir

The regal is about 3.5-4 inches and i added him to a 10QT by himself. Then i added a moorish idol since the idol was eating like a pig in a different QT. I thought he could learn from the idol.

I also noticed that the regal was flashing so i gave him a FW dip then a formalin dip two days later. I havent seen him flashed since. After the formalin dip, i moved both of them to a 20gQT.

Anything else that I can try here? I fear that i only have a few days left before it turns for the worst.

Last edited:
Ive had my RS regal for 9 days now. And unfortunately, ive only seen it pick at nori since i got him.

Here is what ive tried:
- Hikari frozen mysis
- Hikari frozen brine
- Live brine
- Live black worms
- Fresh clams
- Frozen clams
- Fresh oysters
- Pellets
- Flakes
- Nori
- Red algae
- Dosed with garlic, Angelixir

The regal is about 3.5-4 inches and i added him to a 10QT by himself. Then i added a moorish idol since the idol was eating like a pig in a different QT. I thought he could learn from the idol.

I also noticed that the regal was flashing so i gave him a FW dip then a formalin dip two days later. I havent seen him flashed since. After the formalin dip, i moved both of them to a 20gQT.

Anything else that I can try here? I fear that i only have a few days left before it turns for the worst.

Wow... this one is finicky...

Fresh mussel?
Fresh squid?

Some of the LRS foods?

http://www.larrysreefservices.com/lrs-food-blends.html

Well, the 10 gallon was a little small...

I would try fresh mussels and squid.

And try the oyster again.

Ok. Ill go to the market and get mussels, squid, and oysters again. Yes i figured it was so added him to the 20g.

By chance is it in a bare QT? Or does it have live rock?

I had live rock with actual sponges in the 10g (forgot to mention that in my initial post). He didnt touch that either. The 20g only has pvc pipes.

Back