Regal Angel Primer

No real secret - its all the fish and very little me.

Usually the ones below 4 inch make not much trouble taking food. Most I've seen here at AC took already food the day they arrived at the store. Even the 5in ones. And they keep them there sometimes in tiny, completely naked compartments:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TJZT_be6_ws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was a 4 inch Sumatra regal.

The main issue I ran into was getting them to stuff themselves at feedings and not only eat a little and then stop only to get hungry half an hour later (yes, I have to untrain them their healthy eating habits and train them my unhealthy habits to get them fat - it worked well for me :(). The trick is to feed as unpredictably as possible and sometimes to let them go hungry for a day. They quickly learn that they have to eat as much as they can during feedings as the next feeding may be a day away. Over time they enlarge their stomachs and will start stuffing themselves like pufferfish (if you have ever seen a green pufferfish doubling his weight in a single feeding you know what I mean).

This worked very well with larger on of my Sumatra pair. At first he would just a little bit at the time. He wouldn't gain much weight for a long time., but then fatten up quickly.
The smaller one was a ferocious eater from day one and it didn't take much time for her to get to a healthy weight. She was also the first to copy the other fish and try pellets. The larger one started soon after seeing her eat.
That is another trick - let them learn from other fish.

BTW: I still do some TTM during Hyposalinity treatment. This is basically to speed up the treatment and be done in two weeks:
1. transfer: fish into the sterilized treatment tank at already hyposaline condition.
2. transfer: 7 days later to another sterilized tank at hyposalinity. At this point the fish should already be clean.
3. transfer: another 7 days later another transfer and start of ramp up.

I've been offered a Regal angel from a tank shutdown. The fish is almost 6" and fairly plump (not sure which region it is from).

I have an 8' tank with the following fish:

4" hippo tang
3x 4"-5" yellow tangs
scopas tang
chromis
yellowtail damsel
6-line wrasse
temminicki wrasse
melanurus wrasse
marine betta
flame hawkfish
starry blenny
2x onyx clownfish
pink skunk clownfish

Tank is softies only with some leftover zoas that I'm not concerned about losing. A 1'+ sebae anemone hosts the onyxes and a 6" RBTA hosts the skunk. Lighting is 50% Radion G2s. Lots of swimming room and nooks/crannies from the rockwork. Healthy fish with no diseases.

Will the regal work in this tank? Or should I skip?

The regal should be fine in that tank, but he may finish off your leftover zoas. He may also take bites out off certain softies.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BTW: I still do some TTM during Hyposalinity treatment. This is basically to speed up the treatment and be done in two weeks:
1. transfer: fish into the sterilized treatment tank at already hyposaline condition.
2. transfer: 7 days later to another sterilized tank at hyposalinity. At this point the fish should already be clean.
3. transfer: another 7 days later another transfer and start of ramp up.

Thanks again. Do you also perform your normal Formalin dips prior to #1?

Also, how long do you leave them in the tank for step #1?

Yes, all new fish get a formalin bath before going into a tank with other fish.
As for ich treatment - I only treat when the fish are actually sick.

The regal should be fine in that tank, but he may finish off your leftover zoas. He may also take bites out off certain softies.

Thank you for the reply. I don't mind it if he decides to snack on the corals, as long as he's healthy and plays nice. It's a beautiful species that I've eyed for quite a while.

Yes, all new fish get a formalin bath before going into a tank with other fish.
As for ich treatment - I only treat when the fish are actually sick.

Hi,
Can you please check your PM box. I sent you a message yesterday regarding some regal question. :)

So I have a mixed bag of news. Oysters so far are a no go. He has started eating NLS and Hikari Marine A Pellets though. So that's on top of red Algea which I think is great. He is not taking any frozen food still though.

The other issue is that there seems to be some sort of clear growth on his pectoral fin. I attached a pic but it's hard to see. I am thinking that it is Lymphocytosis but am not sure. Any ideas? It isn't bothering him in the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have a mixed bag of news. Oysters so far are a no go. He has started eating NLS and Hikari Marine A Pellets though. So that's on top of red Algea which I think is great. He is not taking any frozen food still though.

A Red Sea Regal that eats pellets right out of the gate...

Lucky you!

The other issue is that there seems to be some sort of clear growth on his pectoral fin. I attached a pic but it's hard to see. I am thinking that it is Lymphocytosis but am not sure. Any ideas? It isn't bothering him in the least.

I would just load the pellets with selcon and vitachem and not worry about it. The Regal will eventually eat frozen. Did you say it came from NY? Michael I'm assuming? The "clear growth" on the pectoral fun are flukes. Do 2 rounds of prazipro ASAP

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just load the pellets with selcon and vitachem and not worry about it. The Regal will eventually eat frozen. Did you say it came from NY? Michael I'm assuming? The "clear growth" on the pectoral fun are flukes. Do 2 rounds of prazipro ASAP

Ahhh ok. Should I dose Prazi tonight or do it in the morning when I can monitor it? I am not sure where it came from as my LFS imported it for me but I do know that he imports from two places, Miami and California.

I've been offered a Regal angel from a tank shutdown. The fish is almost 6" and fairly plump (not sure which region it is from).

I have an 8' tank with the following fish:

4" hippo tang
3x 4"-5" yellow tangs
scopas tang
chromis
yellowtail damsel
6-line wrasse
temminicki wrasse
melanurus wrasse
marine betta
flame hawkfish
starry blenny
2x onyx clownfish
pink skunk clownfish

Tank is softies only with some leftover zoas that I'm not concerned about losing. A 1'+ sebae anemone hosts the onyxes and a 6" RBTA hosts the skunk. Lighting is 50% Radion G2s. Lots of swimming room and nooks/crannies from the rockwork. Healthy fish with no diseases.

Will the regal work in this tank? Or should I skip?

Hi, folks. So I got some pictures of the fish from the seller (sorry for the quality, that's all I got):

1VvpdDal.jpg

MKUItgFl.jpg

GXJ9fkbl.jpg

Does it look like a healthy specimen? Also do these pictures show what region this fish is from? Thanks again.

You can't really judge a fish, and especially not a regal, just by pictures. For that a video of at least 10 minutes length would be required. A regal can look great in pictures, but still not be OK.

Ahhh ok. Should I dose Prazi tonight or do it in the morning when I can monitor it? I am not sure where it came from as my LFS imported it for me but I do know that he imports from two places, Miami and California.

I would prazipro in the morning so you can monitor throughout the day. Some fish seem to do poorly with Prazipro when heavily infected with flukes. Not sure if that's because of all the flukes that dislodge causes massive bleeding and a fish died from it or what causes some fish that clearly have flukes to suddenly become listless after treatment? I like to be able to monitor, although if a fish displays this behavior after PP (usually within 12-18hrs) they usually never make it.

I would prazipro in the morning so you can monitor throughout the day. Some fish seem to do poorly with Prazipro when heavily infected with flukes. Not sure if that's because of all the flukes that dislodge causes massive bleeding and a fish died from it or what causes some fish that clearly have flukes to suddenly become listless after treatment? I like to be able to monitor, although if a fish displays this behavior after PP (usually within 12-18hrs) they usually never make it.

Ok. I dosed the Prazi this morning and will monitor. I usually do a first round for about five days followed by a 50% water change and then redose at the seven day mark for five more days. Would this be fine or do you suggest something different?

You can't really judge a fish, and especially not a regal, just by pictures. For that a video of at least 10 minutes length would be required. A regal can look great in pictures, but still not be OK.

That's fair.

I'm going to see the fish tomorrow, what kind of things should I look out for when I view this particular fish?

P.S. the owner says the fish gets a diet of mysis, bloodworms, and flakes.

That's fair.

I'm going to see the fish tomorrow, what kind of things should I look out for when I view this particular fish?

It's a bit different if you buy it from a reefer who had the fish for a while.

That's fair.

Did you ask this guy why he wants to get rid of this fish?

Back