Regal Angel Primer

Who snatched the WYSIWYG Juvenile Yellow Belly Regal Angelfish Blue Zoo had in their Collector's Choice section?

Saved me another headache :D

I considered getting it as a buddy for my little Maldives Regal but hesitated because they didn't specify where it was from - and because all my QTs are full ... I actually QT right now some smaller fish (a pipefish, a barnacle blenny, 2 Catalina gobies) separately in Lee's Specimen containers...

Greetings from England. I have been following the this thread for a few months now before I purchased my regal angel. Great tips on here but I would like to share my experience. I have a reefer 450 and I am basing the tank around this one fish. Tank has been running for 8 weeks now started with colony and dry rock. Stock at the moment are 4x barlet anthias and a red velvet wrasse.

I saw this regal eating some bits of brine shrimp in the shop so I decided to take the plunge. He resides in my fuge at the moment in peace, is about 4 inches and from the red sea. For the first 12 days I had him he refused to eat anything. Frozen brine, mussels, oysters (all shell fish), nori without any luck.

On day 12 he started to eat mussels out of nowhere. I have the fish now coming on 5 weeks but I feel he is not feeding enough. He will not eat out of the water column. Well he takes flake and spits it out. Only thing he eats is frozen shell fish (clams, oysters and mussels) plus nori banded on a rock. I have taken a few videos as I believe he is not feeding enough. He only takes very small bites from what I see. If he rips a big chunk off he spits it out again. Very strange behaviour. The most frustrating thing is I saw him eating frozen brine in the shop. Certainly not confidently though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlAWvJsHeAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHP2O41tqQw
In this video around 1;20 you see him spit a larger piece of muusel that he just ripped off.

Any suggestions or feedback to get him feeding confidently?

Can you try hanging the mussel on a clip like you would with nori and see if you can train him to eat out of the water column?

Greetings from England. I have been following the this thread for a few months now before I purchased my regal angel. Great tips on here but I would like to share my experience. I have a reefer 450 and I am basing the tank around this one fish. Tank has been running for 8 weeks now started with colony and dry rock. Stock at the moment are 4x barlet anthias and a red velvet wrasse.

I saw this regal eating some bits of brine shrimp in the shop so I decided to take the plunge. He resides in my fuge at the moment in peace, is about 4 inches and from the red sea. For the first 12 days I had him he refused to eat anything. Frozen brine, mussels, oysters (all shell fish), nori without any luck.

On day 12 he started to eat mussels out of nowhere. I have the fish now coming on 5 weeks but I feel he is not feeding enough. He will not eat out of the water column. Well he takes flake and spits it out. Only thing he eats is frozen shell fish (clams, oysters and mussels) plus nori banded on a rock. I have taken a few videos as I believe he is not feeding enough. He only takes very small bites from what I see. If he rips a big chunk off he spits it out again. Very strange behaviour. The most frustrating thing is I saw him eating frozen brine in the shop. Certainly not confidently though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlAWvJsHeAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHP2O41tqQw
In this video around 1;20 you see him spit a larger piece of muusel that he just ripped off.

Any suggestions or feedback to get him feeding confidently?

Try taking the frozen shelled clams/oysters/mussels and scoring them with a razor blade, like a tic-tac-toe, to make the pieces he rips off smaller.

That should help.

Let us know!

I don't know if it's that special - it's a mixed frozen food. My BSJ love it, but my Sumatra regals actually prefer pellets and flakes over frozen these days. During pellet and flake feedings they go crazy and even chase the Starcki away.

Good news folks. My regal is feeding a little more confidently. I am not sure if the razor blade trick worked but he is now tearing off chunks about the 1/4 of a thumbnail and swallowing it whereas he was spitting bigger chunks like that before (mussel).

I just got a Red Sea regal that had been a store I trust for 3 weeks. They told me it was maybe 4", but ate mysis like a maniac. Have to trust them since it was shipped across the country. When I cut the shipping bag open to pour it into the bucket - I saw they lied.

He was a BEAST. 5" all day long. I dripped him for 90 minutes and in he went.

The big (looked big before this guy) emp swam over and gave him the once over. The regal was larger and fatter lol. They slept in the same cave I think last night.

I fed the tank and thought I saw him eat last night, and I fed it again this morning. He was HAMMERING mysis. And PELLETS!

My nutrients are so low that my skimmer barely skims right now, so over feeding my kids for the next week or 2 might get me some detectable nutrient levels.

I love regals the most of all the angels. But I pretty much just have Angels lol

In order of size

Regal (Red Sea) 5"

Emp (changing) 4.5"

Annularis 3"

Blue face 3"

Flame 1.5"

Cherub 1.5"

I'm pretty stocked for fish now.

In the next couple of years, I fear I may need to go to a 600 gallon. Darn.....

I think you got lucky that the regal turned out to be larger than expected.
Otherwise, as the last fish in an angel collection, he would have had a hard time to claim his place.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Went to a local lfs today and they had a beautiful yellow belly regal eating and fat f/'s If I had the tank space I would have jumped all over it beautiful fish

Back