Regal Angel Primer

Not to get too off topic; but ThRoewer, let's get hypothetical for a second.

Let's take the most commonly believed "difficult" (because anecdotal experience is all we got as of now) Indo-Pacific Regal. Let's also assume it's a good size for a Regal, 2-4 inches.

So based on that, if this Regal was added to a 4x2x2 120 gallon tank with dry rock and dry sand to start out with, how long do you think one should wait before it's safe to add one?

Not to get too off topic; but ThRoewer, let's get hypothetical for a second.

Let's take the most commonly believed "difficult" (because anecdotal experience is all we got as of now) Indo-Pacific Regal. Let's also assume it's a good size for a Regal, 2-4 inches.

So based on that, if this Regal was added to a 4x2x2 120 gallon tank with dry rock and dry sand to start out with, how long do you think one should wait before it's safe to add one?

I would ideally want to have some algae in the tank for a new regal if the tank was set up with dry rocks.
Though if the fish is eating he should even be OK in a sterile tank for the standard quarantine period of 2 months.
My 2 smallest regals were (Bali)/are (Maldives) in QTs and did OK there.
I feel that one of the issues of the past was that too large specimen were collected and then not treated properly (= not fed well from day one). Feeding as soon as possible is key as they may stop being hungry after a while of fasting. Larger specimen may also have a harder time to adjust to captivity than juveniles or subadults.
I personally can't confirm that there are any regional differences in accepting food.
My Philippines, Bali, Sumatra and Maldives regals were all eating from day one and all I had to do was training them to dig in and stuff themselves during feedings instead of just nibbling a bit and expecting to get fed small bites all day long.
In that regard it helps to have some good eaters with them in the tank so that they feel some pressure to eat before everything is gone.

So to your questions: if the fish eats well it should be OK even in a fairly sterile tank. Though I would always recommend a more mature tank with a lot of micro life, some algae and ideally also some of the sponges they eat in the wild - ideally the tank should have been set up with good quality live rock. If wild collected rocks are not an option I would go with Tampa Bay's man-made and ocean cured rocks - from what I've seen and read they may be the very best you can get in the US.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I will have to rehome the little Maldives Regal as I need to clean out that QT.
The question is just where.

I don't think I will risk putting this one with the yellow pair or any of the blue ones.

I could try to pair the blue ones in the 42 CADlight tank to get the 40B free, though a pair in a 40 gallon tank is really pushing it. The 40B would have a slightly larger footprint, but is with 2 gigs more dangerous in case of chases.

I guess for now I will have to put the little one into the 40B sump tank and hope to win the lottery to give them some larger tanks - I'll better go and buy a ticket tomorrow :D

Have access to a breeder box? It should be able to live in one for a little bit and get some more attention as opposed to a sump. This would also let you know if they would co exist in the big tank. Just a suggestion of course :)

The lottery would be nice too though, :D maybe I would finally be able to get a bubble king lol

It's not really a sump but just the lowest tank in the system. It also has the skimmer and return pump, but otherwise it's a normal tank.

Managed to shoot a nice picture of my Bali Regal (73 mm/2.9"):

attachment.php

He is actually the least shy of the gang and always out when he sees me. I guess he's looking for food :D

I have him now for precisely 150 days.

Attachments

• Bali Regal 2016-07-18.jpg
    Bali Regal 2016-07-18.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1
AC that these 4 tiny Philippine Regals today (came in yesterday).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U-a1wcD2Euc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They were less than an inch, maybe 22 or 23 mm.
These must be the smallest Regals I've ever seen. Based on their size they are just post metamorphosis and can't be older than 2 to 3 months.

AC that these 4 tiny Philippine Regals today (came in yesterday).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U-a1wcD2Euc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They were less than an inch, maybe 22 or 23 mm.
These must be the smallest Regals I've ever seen. Based on their size they are just post metamorphosis and can't be older than 2 to 3 months.

They don't appear to be in very good health...?

One looked bad, one had some fin damage and two were OK, searching for food and picking.
They definitely need a formalin dip and likely also some antibiotics. At this size it is always a gamble.
Shipping is particularly rough on these tiny ones. A few days without food can already deplete their reserves and push them over the edge.

Anyone have any luck with adding 2 Regals (4" +/-) together in a relatively large enough tank (210 gallons) at the same time?

Anyone have any luck with adding 2 Regals (4" +/-) together in a relatively large enough tank (210 gallons) at the same time?

I had a yellow belly and a blue belly in my 625g and they "tolerated" each other. If one is a male and one is female there is a high chance of success.

Yes, but it will only work if one is smaller than the other. Two of equal size will most likely fight.
Also, when putting larger ones together, be sure not to pick two males.

I had a yellow belly and a blue belly in my 625g and they "tolerated" each other. If one is a male and one is female there is a high chance of success.

Yes, but it will only work if one is smaller than the other. Two of equal size will most likely fight.
Also, when putting larger ones together, be sure not to pick two males.

How can you tell the sex difference?

Go a couple of posts back - I posted a couple of Jack Randall's pictures that show the difference.

I know, but you are going to have to point out the difference - because I can't see it... :D

The two pictures look identical to me...

Last edited:
Back