Regarding the new article about Halichoeres melanurus

:(

Found my hoeven's dead when I got home.

Anything I can do with the next one to help survival rate? I followed swf.com acclimation to the tee.

thanks,

I haven't got a clue. Acclimation went well, he popped into the sand after swimming around for a few minutes. My wife saw him the next two mornings before the lights came on, swimming and picking on the rock. I saw him tucked under a rock when I got home the third day and the one crab I have in the tank was dining on him.

The angel I added at the same time is doing fine, as is the brittle star. Maybe it was just too much stress with shipping?

Hoping the next one I get does better. That is actually the first fish I have ever had die in tank. I've had a couple jump, but never had one die in the tank. I'm really bummed.

I'm waiting to hear back from the vendor I bought it from. They have a 15 day guarantee, so I can at least replace it for shipping only most likely.

009-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

007.jpg

Please tell that's what he is :) lol. He's in my 10g qt at the moment.

That's weird. I copied the image codes, but it won't pop up the image. Just has a link???

I would say that is a melanurus. Likely a female, but don't quote me on that.

Do you have any sand in your QT? These fish absolutely need sand to adjust properly. You can just stick a bowl of sand in your QT for now.

Great looking fish.

Paul - I've been reading the thread on flukes, does this species typically come in with flukes as well, or are they "imune"?

I went down yesterday and looked at the leopard wrasse the LFS has. She was out, but not eating prepared food. It was picking at the glass. They don't have any live foods, but they fed her quite a bit and she seemed to respond to the food, but she didn't eat any of it. I told them to get it eating prepared food and I would take it home. I think it is a really beautiful fish.

I'm definitely getting another hoeven's too. When did wrasses become cocaine?!? LOL

one of the pictures has a bowl of sand in it :)

I wish the picture would've shown up instead of just have the link...that's weird.

Anyway, yes I'm interested in what to do for flukes or should I feed something that would clean out any intestinal worms or anything like that. Def don't want to infect my tank w/that stuff. Esp since I have a Potter's Angel now.

Any updates Korrine? Did yours find the bowl?

I am getting my second one on Friday. Hopefully this one will be a success.

Paul - any knowledge on the fluke thing? I have interceptor that I apparently has prazipro in it. Would that do anything for the flukes?

Thanks,

Sorry..

Im not really sure regarding flukes. I have used prazipro with tangs, I have never had that issue with the wrasses and I have had LOTS of wrasses. When i did use prazi I soaked food pellets in it and administered them slowly. The tangs (and the wrasse) will gobble the theraA pellets up.

Btw-hows the leopard wrasse- did it ever eat.

Not sure on the leopard. It wouldn't eat Sunday, and they haven't called me to let me know it is eating, so I assume it hasn't yet.

I was actually getting quite nervous since my wrasse hadn't been seen for several days after it found the sand (found it maybe an hour or two after I put it in). I poked the sand to make sure it wasn't dead and it came flying out swimming around frantically...ok probably a big mistake on my part :(

It actually stuck to the power head a few times. It did jerk itself and didn't require manual removal...thank god. I had been gone for the weekend (Huskers 300th consecutive sellout + homecoming all in the same game!!! Plus I got a picture w/the hot record setting kicker!!! whoop whoop!).
Anyways...back on track. I just got home and my hubby said it had been out and swimming around!!! YAY!! I'll see if it'll eat tomorrow. Out and about on it's now and NOT stuck to the power head is a GOOD thing!!!

Mine keeps getting sucked up to powerheads too. There probably aren't too many powerheads in the ocean, though.

Good luck and hope it eats for you.

YAY!!! it came out and ate some frozen marine mix. It's still pretty skittish and hides around the rocks, but at least it's out and ate a bit :)

Mine is staying up later now. He went to bed at 6pm last night, and was out after 7pm tonight.

Sounds like we may have a couple good wrasses!

Im pleased yours is coming out Korrine,

Ronnie- are you coming to our big conference next month- the CRASE in Oklahoma City ?

paul.

I am hoping to make it over Paul.

I spoke with Scott at Aquarium Oddballs a couple months ago, and he said it was absolutely amazing.

I just need to work out a baby sitter for my 2 year old.

Back