Releasing Native Fish

Releasing Native Fish

• Yes, but only native fishes.

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • No, It will spread pathogen and diseases.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • No, It will not survive well after being in captivity.

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
Yup, I know that Wild Caught Seahorse cannot be kept with Captive Bred ones, as they might cross infect each other but havent heard of it in fishes yet or I have not experienced it as of yet...

I know the wildlife rehabs have stringent regulations and experienced vet to make sure the animals are healthy..

That is a cool "subject" that you are taking, Hope to hear some info from you..

Last time I checked, Seahorses ARE fish.

Last time I checked, Seahorses ARE fish.

Lol, I overlooked that... Because in my subconscious, kept telling me they are not fishes as I kept seahorse in a different tank, until a point I felt they are not fishes..

Okay, so if that is possible in seahorses it is also possible in other fishes.

Even if you are trying to repopulate a species in a freshwater system your source fish are going to be from the same river basin as to where you plan to repopulate regardless if the project is a captive breeding one or a simple collection and release effort.

Why? Genetics.

For example, even within a river system you can have 3 populations with "identically" looking fish, though there maybe some variation in color or lateral line scale counts but if you look at the genetic composition those 3 populations are independent of one another and the question is then raised:

How many species are present?

Here is an example of something simple having a major impact:

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/aquatics/didymo.shtml

In some areas felt boot waders are no longer allowed because it has been proposed that if one picks it up in one affected stream and fishes in another unaffected one it can spread.

Thanks for the explanation and example. Really appreciate it. Now I know what to say and explain if anyone ask that question again.

i'd sell the fish in question to another aquarist. this keeps one less fish from being collected from the wild.
leave restocking to the professionals.

---------------------------------------------------------------
good intentions and paving materials...
:furious:

Yes, I will tell it to the owner. it is a blackish water fish.. Spotted Scat aka Scatophagus argus..

Yup, I know that Wild Caught Seahorse cannot be kept with Captive Bred ones, as they might cross infect each other but havent heard of it in fishes yet or I have not experienced it as of yet...

I know the wildlife rehabs have stringent regulations and experienced vet to make sure the animals are healthy..

That is a cool "subject" that you are taking, Hope to hear some info from you..

Its not quite as cool as you would think, but there are cool things about it. Its more about how laws go through congress/house/senate etc not so much about why the bill was made, or what changes it will have on the environment. My major is environmental tech, possibly transferring to a school with marine biology, or something in that field. Maybe someday we'll all be running products that Ive created or helped to create, but prob not. More than likely my studies will lead me to bio-diesels, renewable energies, and things of that nature, though if I could connect the tech with marine biology that would be cool.

i'd sell the fish in question to another aquarist. this keeps one less fish from being collected from the wild.
leave restocking to the professionals.

---------------------------------------------------------------
good intentions and paving materials...
:furious:

That's why I breed certain fish. I know they won't be able to be wild released but if other people buy them and they thrive in their aquariums, then there is less pressure on wild caught. If only people can look a little bit past the cost of sometimes cheaper wild ones and realize they could be supporting wild population with captive bred fish.

So I asked my professor, she said technically you would need a permit and special training to rehab fish or release them back to the wild. With pathogens/disease and fish sustainability being the concerns. Basically the fish would be introduced to and introduce pathogens/diease and may not be able to survive in the wild setting.

Back