Remove mushrooms from LR?

azeli73

A little history here. I got some mushrooms with deep greens and brown from a friend about 7 years ago. Well as you can guess they have taken over the whole take and I've lost count to the numbers. Some are as big as 7-8" when fully opened. I want to know is there ANY way to remove them from the LR safely??? My only other option is to sell the rock and start over.

Here is an old picture from about a 1Ã"šÃ‚½ ago. Sorry no current pictures.
008.jpg

:worried2: Well no replies but from what I have read I have one choice in order to keep my LR... Chisle them off. Anyone done this before? I can use some pointers please!

Someone once said you could use a piece of ice and apply it to the foot of the mushroom and it might release. I've never tried it but what harm could it do?
You could direct some flow towards them and a few might release also.

I would chisel them off and leave some LR under the foot. Eaiser to trade or attach some where else.

good luck

I would sell the rock in tact, and buy a new piece. I'm sure you could and would get more then enough credit at any lfs.

Just food for thought.

I used a razor blade and glently picked it off at the base. Then I just placed it on a new rock and put it in a area where the flow was extremely low so the yuma could attach itself. After 2 or 3 days its all good!

Most mushrooms are pretty tough, and when this happens to me, I just take a butter knife, and slip it as far under the foot as possible, then I pry them off. that way, you don't lose and live rock by chiseling. When you chisel, it leaves a big white spot on the rock.

Brock

I would peel them off with a razor blade or knife. Who the hell want to sit around and chisel away at rock all afternoon. Rip em off and if you want to mount them get some plugs and glue and have at it, or put some crushed coral or rubble into a plastic tupperware and throw the shrooms in and cover with a light mesh...like wedding veil material which can be had at any craft store and rubberband the mesh over...put back in tank and wait a week or two and then sell the attached frags and make some $$$$$.

I know that if there are any cells left, they will grow back, but I was thinking more of peeling it off rather than cutting it, so you get the whole mushroom. Once you get a bunch off, mount them on a very large piece of live rock, and sell it as a mushroom rock. It will sell better that way IMO.

Brock

you will not be able to just peel them off and not leave residue of them on the rock. Almost all lfs reef stores would be more than happy to give you the pick of the rock in exchange for that or you can sell that rock for $$$ as is.

Are we sure that he does not want them to grow back at some time. It seems he likes the rock he has, although, I agree that selling the rock and replacing seems like a great idea.

Personally I wouldn't try to peel or pry them off. I think care and consideration mushroom itself is paramount here. Whenever you tear, cut or damage a shroom, you are making it susceptible to infection. This is the reason why most reefers who dissect mushrooms make it a point to dip them in Iodine. Its antiseptic properties help heal the wounds/severed tissue.

If at all possible, I would recommend selling the whole rock, or using a dedicated chissle to remove at least a 1/4 to a 1/2" of rock around the base of each individual shroom. I've been keeping and propagating ricordea for 12 years and this has worked repeatedly for me. I had to remove a 6" x 7" ric rock about 4 years ago. There were 15 large blue polyps and I managed to successfully remove all of them in less than 10 minutes.

Mucho

I recently plucked 3 mushrooms off of an over crowded rock. Some were attached more firmly, so I left them. The 3 I pulled off, came off very easily - and I really don't think any part was left behind.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6719511#post6719511 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MUCHO REEF
Personally I wouldn't try to peel or pry them off. I think care and consideration mushroom itself is paramount here. Whenever you tear, cut or damage a shroom, you are making it susceptible to infection. This is the reason why most reefers who dissect mushrooms make it a point to dip them in Iodine. Its antiseptic properties help heal the wounds/severed tissue.

If at all possible, I would recommend selling the whole rock, or using a dedicated chissle to remove at least a 1/4 to a 1/2" of rock around the base of each individual shroom. I've been keeping and propagating ricordea for 12 years and this has worked repeatedly for me. I had to remove a 6" x 7" ric rock about 4 years ago. There were 15 large blue polyps and I managed to successfully remove all of them in less than 10 minutes.

Mucho

Mucho,

Good advice and you got me thinking. I prop mushrooms and so far I haven't had any losses. Probably luck rather than skill. I was thinking of trying the iodine (Lugol's soluition OK?) to see if they will heal up faster and grow quicker. How many drops should I use per gallon for the dip?

Brian

After letting some of my shrooms run wild in a stock tank for about a year I was left with the same result, a ton of shrooms on perfectly good LR predestined for my new tank. Well, I don't know if this is the right way or not but I just took little cosmetic sissors and cut as many as l could off at the base. I let the "shroom caps" mount themselves on to rubble in my frag tank and as for the stumps?... ... Joe's Juiced them ;) . The stumps didn't grow back and I've got a ton of shroom frags to trade.

Back