Removing invading polyps

dmsprague

I think there are a polyp of some type. They came in on some rock a year or so ago but are getting out of hand. I have tried aiptasia x but they survive and come back. I thought about cutting them off but wanted to make sure they aren't like aiptasia where cutting them would make matters worse. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them?
dee29815a689039eaffa7d1fb9780f1d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Definitely not aiptasia, but I would be very careful with cutting them. It’s possible they have some toxins in them that could harm you in the process. Fairly common for palythoas.

If you’re able to remove the rock, you might be able to peel them off with some tweezers, but please where some protective gloves and glasses.

Yep...toxic palys...use extreme caution....
Plenty of horror stories around...

Best to not disturb or do it outside with mask/gloves/shower...etc....

If possible, just remove the rock and toss it away. Wear gloves and eye protection when you do. Those look way to similar to the ones that cost me a week off work.

I'll never have another palythoa in my system.

I bought those once upon a time and, like others mentioned, they became a massive headache. Never again. Toss that rock or try to find someone local who wants it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeesh I guess I am lucky or have a heck of an immune system. I have pinched some of them off with my finger nails and no gloves :headwally: May have a go at them with a scalpal but with gloves this time.

I had been in the hobby for 25 years or so before I ran into trouble. I would guess that over the years I had sensitized myself and then eventually reached the tipping point.

Palytoxin is one of the most potent poisons there is. It really is not something to be trifled with.

Using a scalpel will probably be ineffective. If there is any tissue that remains they can easily regrow. Anything you do decide to do should be done out of the tank so that any toxins released are unable to affect the other tank inhabitants. Running a large amount of carbon afterwards will help if you decide to return the rock to the tank afterwards. Personally, I'd pull it, wrap it in a couple plastic bags and toss it in the trash.

Thanks for the advise. I may just let it be for now. I have it all over the back but I'm cool with that. it is a textured rocky 3d background from a freshwater setup so having them on there give it some depth. The rock pictured is supporting the other rocks that house my nems and clownfish pair. If i ever "have" to rearrange things I'll yank the rock then. I have been exposed to gasoline, dirty oil and numerous other aerosol toxins as an auto tech for 32 year and never wore gloves or any other protection so maybe I have resistance to nasty stuff. Of course now that I know better I am not going to push my luck.

I was just looking at these again this eve. The rock these are on can not come out at this time. Is there a way to kill them off even if I do it one at a time? Super glue or kalk paste? I will experiment but maybe someone with more experience has a suggestion?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I just poisoned myself this week trying to remove those exact same palys. Lay sick in bed for 3 days with fever, chills, cough, and aches all over.

Thanks for the advise. I may just let it be for now. I have it all over the back but I'm cool with that. it is a textured rocky 3d background from a freshwater setup so having them on there give it some depth. The rock pictured is supporting the other rocks that house my nems and clownfish pair. If i ever "have" to rearrange things I'll yank the rock then. I have been exposed to gasoline, dirty oil and numerous other aerosol toxins as an auto tech for 32 year and never wore gloves or any other protection so maybe I have resistance to nasty stuff. Of course now that I know better I am not going to push my luck.

Yup, just leave them until a better time, maybe a rebuild,,and remove all at once....and yes, those are palys ....just respect them.....and all is well.

My semicirculatus loves to eat them, along with all zoanthids (candy) and other pest anemones. Leaves mushrooms alone, though...
Not a solution I'd recommend for everyone, though. Can get fairly large and diet is pretty expansive, including tridacnids, soft corals, sponge, and much more. Seems to leave stony coral alone so far.
Cheers,
Ray

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

i have the same problem for years. no way to get rid of them. u can control them by tossing rocks and replace it with new ones. but eventually it will come back and take over again.

If possible, just remove the rock and toss it away. Wear gloves and eye protection when you do. Those look way to similar to the ones that cost me a week off work.

I'll never have another palythoa in my system.

Yup, put me in the hospital for 3 days. Oh, and the EMT standing over me before transport as he googled palytoxins "Oh, sh*t, 2nd most deadly known marine toxin."

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2515630

im dealing with this now as well. They keep coming back even after I have tossed the rock, they where hiding somewhere else. At the moment I got putty and have covered them with it but I just noticed new polyps coming out the sides of my putty mat. Hate these things. I have them growing up the overflow box as well.

I believe Palytoxin will only cause a problem is accidentally ingested. Meaning by cutting them up, releasing the toxin in the water column, and then touching your faces, eyes, etc. If you are safe, and don't rip them apart and mess around with the water, you should be okay. In my opinion, better safe than sorry, find a way to get the rock out and use a blade to scrape the palys off the back wall and siphon them out. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE until you have thoroughly washed your hands. I used this method to get rid of them from my old tank. Got rid of the rock, scraped them from the bottom as cleanly as possible, and siphoned them out. Wore gloves and washed my hands a couple of times after to be safe.

Back