Resealing the tank

tangy2

I recently bought a used fish tank which had mold in the sealant on the sides of the tank. I scraped the old stuff and resealed it. It was my first time using the stuff. I applied it really thick on the left to corners (remember, it was my first time :)), and thinner on the other side. There are a few tiny bubbles in the sealant, pin size. Does this sound ok. I'll find out sooner or later if it worked. What are your opinions on sealing it yourself???

bassnman11

I have resealed a number of tanks. I cut away all the old silicone, clean the area with alcohol. I tape off the walls about 3/8 inch out to get a neat and straight line. Try to apply the silicone evenly, then smoothe by running a wet finger down the joint while applying light pressure. This eliminates most bubbles. I fill the tank outside and leak test for 24 hrs. Good Luck.

tangy2

Thank you. Next time I will use a wet finger, didn't know that. (no wonder I had it all over the place lol) It's been 7 days. I've filled the tank to make sure no leaks. I'm good. I would think after 2 days and no leaks, I can count on it when I fill er' up.