Return pump from basement?

Rhodan

I have an AGA 180 with (2) ¾” corner overflows and I have a 100 gallon sump in my basement. I ALMOST purchased a Hammerhead the other day, but I’m trying not to do any impulse purchases. :) This is difficult when you are trying to get the whole project moving… I have also been told that the Sequence 5000 SEQ22 is an excellent pump for a basement sump setup. I wanted to hear what others have used and/or which is better between the Hammerhead or the 5000SEQ22.

Thanks for your help.

why do you need so much flow through your overflow? its not efficent and your sump doesnt need it.Try doing a closed loop or tunze in tank for flow and use a 4200 for your overflow you will be a lot happier.

I would recommend something with small tubing unless you want to drill your tank. 1.5-2" pipe is recommended for the dart/hammer/etc. The Uno series is more along the lines of what you're looking for. I run a Sequence Uno Tarpon myself. I feed my 58 (up about 14'), my 180 (over about 10'), and my frag tank (up and over about 5'). All of my feeds are 3/4" and my drains are 1".

i have a 125 and 75 plumbed to the same sump in the basement and bot run off of a QRI 302 i get about 600 gallons at each tank and it works well for me.

This is great info...i didn't even cosider the UNO series. And...I didn't mean to imply I didn't have a CL...I also have (2) 2" bulkheads attached to a Dart for flow. My concern is the size of the pump in the basement to return back to the tank and over kill is what I'm trying to avoid...If an UNO will work that will work for me too. :) I was only looking at the 5000SEQ22 or the Hammerhead because of 16' of head not because flow. I don't want to go to small and I don't want to go to large either. I'm sure what the GPH on (2) 3/4" pipes are....And not for flow reasons but for skimmer reasons, I want to get as much turn over per hour as I can.

I went with a Sequence Barracuda and I have to close it down some on he return or else there is too much flow through the sump. I have 1.5 inch return going to three 1 inch returns at the tank. Each has a valve for adjustment. I used spaflex and my calculated pressure is around 12 feet. I would have liked to use a Dart, but do not think that would have been enough. The Barracuda runs with less energy if you close it off somewhat. I think the Hammerhead would be overkill, but running large diameter pipe with gentle bends is the key.

Wait I know the answer to this one: Something less than a hammerhead. I run a hammerhead on my system, it is fed from the tank with a double overflow and goes about 30 feet to a sump in the basement. Lots of Head pressure. I have to choke the pump down to about 1/2.

The reason for the choking is not the the ability move the water through the system it is just the NOISE. I have silencers on the bulkheads, but the water actually moving over the perforated Plexiglass box sounds like NIAGARA FALLS.

I have 2 darts for the closed loop and would consider for yourself a barracuda or a high pressure pump with a educator for increaced flow. ( you can get one at Argent aquaculture)

If you still want to use a hammerhead you will need two 2" return bulkhead or one 3".

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9279239#post9279239 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kshack
I went with a Sequence Barracuda and I have to close it down some on he return or else there is too much flow through the sump. I have 1.5 inch return going to three 1 inch returns at the tank. Each has a valve for adjustment. I used spaflex and my calculated pressure is around 12 feet. I would have liked to use a Dart, but do not think that would have been enough. The Barracuda runs with less energy if you close it off somewhat. I think the Hammerhead would be overkill, but running large diameter pipe with gentle bends is the key.

KShack â€"œ So even at 12 feet you are dialing back the Barracuda? But for only $35-$40 more is the Hammerhead…But the power being used would definitely cost more for the Hammerhead. 10 feet of 1 1/2" and 15 feet of 2" SpaFlex is already on order :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9279349#post9279349 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by toothman
Wait I know the answer to this one: Something less than a hammerhead. I run a hammerhead on my system, it is fed from the tank with a double overflow and goes about 30 feet to a sump in the basement. Lots of Head pressure. I have to choke the pump down to about 1/2.

The reason for the choking is not the the ability move the water through the system it is just the NOISE. I have silencers on the bulkheads, but the water actually moving over the perforated Plexiglass box sounds like NIAGARA FALLS.

I have 2 darts for the closed loop and would consider for yourself a barracuda or a high pressure pump with a educator for increaced flow. ( you can get one at Argent aquaculture)

If you still want to use a hammerhead you will need two 2" return bulkhead or one 3".

toothman â€"œ The Hammerhead is so powerful that at 30 ft and only running at half-power you still get enough flow? That’s amazing! I didn’t think the Hammerhead was that powerful and shutdown after 24ft of head. I’m not 2 worried about the Niagara Falls effect since there will be no one to hear it. Yea, I think I’ll agree that a Hammerhead for my system may be bit overkill. Besides I only have the (2) ¾” corner overflows…Which I’m planning on connecting together under the tank to a 1½” or 2” PVC to go down into the basement then come back up with a 2” return that can be split into (4) ½” to return back into the tank. A Hammerhead may blow the connections on the return apart. :( Which would be a very very very bad thing for everyone involved.

The dart for my CL will be very close (less than 2ft of head) I have about 10 inches behind my tank where the dart will be running. Which should give me about 2500-3000 GPH @ 160 watts Funny you mention the eductors, I already have 2 brand new eductors I was planning on trying, even though the Dart is not a pressure rated pump I figured with the amount of flow through the small eductor would produce the required pressure for the eductor to work properly.

Matt.

Yes, I dial back the Barracuda. I have a tall stand (41"), and go over the top for the return. Horizontal head pressure is not enough to calculate if you have 1.5" return. My sump sits on a stand (32"?). I would not think the extra expense plus the extra noise would make the Hammerhead a wise choice. I just wish I could have gotten away with a Dart.
Ken

Another thing I forgot to mention that I just thought of. The Sequence Uno series is significantly larger than the other models, however it's for a reason. From what I've read, it's partially to allow for smaller plumbing, but also to minimize noise and heat. It has a large fan installed, and the unit runs completely silent. NOTHING else is on in the room and I can't hear the pump unless my ear is within 12" of the unit.

Handy to know if it's in a living area, but not necessarily important if it's stuffed in a working sump/basement area.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9285319#post9285319 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RockStarFish
I have a barracuda for sale :)

How much and how old? Why you selling? :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9292860#post9292860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RockStarFish
about 8 months old, 150+shipping,I downsized from a 210gl

Sent PM.

I went back and forth, back and forth, but settled on a hammerhead. I had to account for the head pressure and didn't think the others would handle it. I didn't want to get too weak a pump and then have to upgrade or change once plumbing was complete.

Like Toothman, I have it dialed back, not because the overflows can't handle it but because the return to the pump gushes and bubbles over, too sloppy. With it dialed back, it shouldn't draw as much electricity.

I get my display turnover from 2 tunzes and 2 seios.

Good Luck, only took me 2 months to decide and I'm still not sure.

Back