Return Pump Question

pdiehm

Stand is built. Got my sump. I finally know the distance from sump to display. 61". 110 Gallon FOWLR.

I was looking at Eheim Compact 5000. But then I was told I want to turn my tank over 8-10x per hour. at 5', the eheim will be roughly 650-700 gph from what I've read.

I've looked into the Sicce Syncra pumps, and the biggest one will only get me up to about 800gph.

Another option is the DC pumps, but while many have the gph that I would look for, they also have the reliability issues.

The return pump needs to be submersible. I just don't have the room for an external.

I now, come to you guys for advice and input on a return pump that will get me where I need to be in terms of tank turnover.

You really only need 4-6 turn over per hour through your sump. With FOWLR you could get away with as little as 300 gph. Think about how much you skimmer does per hour. Any more than that is not doing you any good. You sump turn over is not tank flow. Powerheads which operate at less than 10% of a return pump will give you tank flow. I would shoot for the high end like 600 to 700 gph just in case you want to add additional equipment later. Remember "head loss" is not just height but the total of all pipes and fittings in the system. Search for head loss calculator to figure out true head loss

It's been recommended that I look at the sicce syncra 5.0.

I was avoiding mag's because noise is not an option...and if I'm looking at say 700 gph, I have to dial down the bean overflow some. I'll have to really play with this in the garage.

I think the key is how many gph it drains into the sump. Then buy a pump to match it (little more powerful due to head loss and using a valve to control flow if it's too much).

I go with 3-5x through the sump, if you go faster than your filtration becomes less efficient . Stay with what you have. Supplement with powerheads/ CL if you need more flow in the DT

Back