Return Pump Suggestions

Ed Kazz

I need to replace my return pump on my 180gal. It has been running non-stop for over 20years. I really like the DC pumps but I do not think they can handle the head pressure? What I have is a 100gal refugium in the basement and run 2-"T"-off lines at the pump to the display. One return line is 13'high and 11' across the other line is 13'high and 3' across. Should I have installed a T at the display tank? Can someone recommend a pump (AC or DC) that would work.
20220519_101848.jpg

Thanks
Ed

Will using a T-fitting at the display cut down on the overall head pressure on the pump ???
I believe the (if I calculated correctly) my head pressure the pump would be looking at would be 37'?
Would these work...?
The Jebao DCP20000 only has a max head of 26'...
The Ecotech Vectra has max of 21.5' ...
Also I would like to install a manifold @ the sump for some other things...

Will using a T-fitting at the display cut down on the overall head pressure on the pump ???
I believe the (if I calculated correctly) my head pressure the pump would be looking at would be 37'?
Would these work...?
The Jebao DCP20000 only has a max head of 26'...
The Ecotech Vectra has max of 21.5' ...
Also I would like to install a manifold @ the sump for some other things...
I don't think the position of the T matters to the pump unless the new configuration reduces bends, however if you could enlarge the diameter of the vertical pipe or pipes that would reduce the pressure. Also eliminating any bends that can be, will help as well. Do you know what the max head of your existing pump is? I don't think your head is 37 feet. Horizontal runs don't matter (much). I'm sure there is some online calculators for head pressure.

I don't think the position of the T matters to the pump unless the new configuration reduces bends, however if you could enlarge the diameter of the vertical pipe or pipes that would reduce the pressure. Also eliminating any bends that can be, will help as well. Do you know what the max head of your existing pump is? I don't think your head is 37 feet. Horizontal runs don't matter (much). I'm sure there is some online calculators for head pressure.
Then its just 2 X 13' with t-at pump (=26')... Using spa-flex 3/4" hose

What do guys think of the...
Iwaki MD-100RLT with 39' of head pressure?
or would it be better just to block off one return to the display (it would be only 16'head) since I have 2 xf280 gyre pumps in the display for flow?

Same here, what a great pump boasting 30’ head height.
Silent.
Would the Jebao DCP20000 have enough flow with 37' head ?
or
Just get 2 and be done with it?
Would running ONE return be adequate?
Also I don't think the cable for the controller would be long enough to make it from the basement to the display (for feeding purposes).

Would the Jebao DCP20000 have enough flow with 37' head ?
or
Just get 2 and be done with it?
Would running ONE return be adequate?
Also I don't think the cable for the controller would be long enough to make it from the basement to the display (for feeding purposes).
Two seems overkill unless you plan to run more stuff with the DCP, very expensive.
I’m running almost straight up 18’ and using it for UV and Reactors as well, running at 60%.
I’d do one and see what the flow rate actually is, then if really needed, you can add another but maybe just a DCQ-10000, which would work out cheaper.
None of the controllers can be more than 6 feet away.
I don’t use the feed function as food stays in a too small area so the big guys (tangs) get most.
I like food dispersed so everyone gets something.
93B0EA6B-66C9-4797-8AB5-E69FA84E8D2D.jpeg

Two seems overkill unless you plan to run more stuff with the DCP, very expensive.
I’m running almost straight up 18’ and using it for UV and Reactors as well, running at 60%.
I’d do one and see what the flow rate actually is, then if really needed, you can add another but maybe just a DCQ-10000, which would work out cheaper.
I don’t use the feed function as food stays in a too small area so the big guys (tangs) get most.
View attachment 32371688
Thank You .... I will try one and see what happens...

View attachment 32371688
Look what I found ...

I've had:
Blueline 70-amazing pressure, lots of electric, heat, and sound.

Royal Exclusiv RD3-230-silent, controller died after 5 years and I'd replaced the impeller once. The impeller alone cost nearly what other pumps cost. Nice pump, but the cost doesn't nearly meet my cost:benefit ratio.

Old (6-8 years ago) Jebao- pretty quiet. The controller connectors aren't that trustworthy, and the controller failed after a couple years, mostly just on water mixing duty. I had mine when they were "junk," and it was worth the money. I suspect they're better pumps today.

Sicce ADV 10.0- I'm running three of them now, return, skimmer, and mixing station. They're pretty quiet, handle pressure well, and have a great warranty. Better than RE. And the entire pump costs close to the same as an RE impeller. It's an AC pump so no fancy speed control, but that's fine for my use case. A gate valve provides all the control I need.

I recommend you take a good look at Sicce before choosing.

There is nothing wrong with running two pumps as return and I always recommend it especially if using one of the lesser reliable pumps like Jebao.
If one fails you still have some water flowing especially if you have all your life support in the sump.
Being in the hobby as long as me one of the biggest issues I have seen with major losses is main pump going out.
If you do not have a two main pumps I recommend using a heater in the main tank if in colder climates.

Last edited:
Back