Return pump

4nReefer

Hi guys, I'm in the process of building a manifold that'll feed my chiller and uv down in the basement. Unless I have to, I'm trying to radiant buying a high end pump. The only pump I can find is the Hydor seltz D (2400). The issue I have with it is that I had one that rusted on me after less than a year. I noticed the rust after running the pump in venegar to clean it. Now I'm not sure if the rust was from the tank or from the venegar. I've since switched to citric acid. My questions are:
1. Have anyone used the Hydor seltz D return pump long term without issues?
2. Would it be strong enough to pump water from the tank to the basement, feeding uv sterilizer and chiller, and back up to the tank? (About 16ft high and 6ft across)
3. Is it better to not take the risk and get a neptune cor-15, since I run the Neptune Systems?
4. Would the Neptune Cor-15 do all the above?
Thanks for your help guys. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well, you really don't need to worry about pumping water down to the basement - just the return to the DT. Gravity will be more than happy to provide the flow downward! :) I use a mag18 to pump water up from the basement fishroom to the DT for water changes so something like that would probably work just fine.

The issue you will have is that your chiller and the uv will almost certainly have much different flow rates so you will need to figure out what is needed for both and go from there. I assume your sump is in the basement? You may find that if you just use a fan to blow across the surface of the sump you don't even need the chiller so you might be able to avoid using it.

My chiller is in my basement, I'm running a Pan World/Blue Line 40 HD. Since it's in the basement, what little sound it makes can't be heard upstairs.

It's rated at 790gph @ 0 Feet. I have about a 9-10 foot drop, and with a flow meter, I'm getting about 300gph back to the tank. This works perfectly.

https://www.aquacave.com/blueline-40-hd-externalaquarium-water-pump-by-pan-world.html
Thanks a lot, I just looked into to it. My thing is that I need a pump that'll feed a manifold in the sump upstairs, and the manifold feeds the chiller and uv sterilizer down in the basement. I'm worried that it might not have enough power to push water down and then back up to the sump.

Well, you really don't need to worry about pumping water down to the basement - just the return to the DT. Gravity will be more than happy to provide the flow downward! :) I use a mag18 to pump water up from the basement fishroom to the DT for water changes so something like that would probably work just fine.

The issue you will have is that your chiller and the uv will almost certainly have much different flow rates so you will need to figure out what is needed for both and go from there. I assume your sump is in the basement? You may find that if you just use a fan to blow across the surface of the sump you don't even need the chiller so you might be able to avoid using it.
Thanks a lot. That'll have perfect but the sump is upstairs under the tank. My basement is open to the garage and isn't complete, so I didn't want to risk contamination. That being said, I need a pump that can push water down and then back up into the sump. The pump will feed a manifold and with the ball valves on the manifold, I can set the flow rate to fit each equipment. That's the plan so far.

Thanks a lot. That'll have perfect but the sump is upstairs under the tank. My basement is open to the garage and isn't complete, so I didn't want to risk contamination. That being said, I need a pump that can push water down and then back up into the sump. The pump will feed a manifold and with the ball valves on the manifold, I can set the flow rate to fit each equipment. That's the plan so far.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying. Once the flow starts from upstairs, it will create a siphon that will reach it's own level most, if not all the way, back to the sump upstairs. It's the same principle as a water level. You need the pump in the basement to help the siphon along a bit so that it becomes a continuous (open) loop with both ends in the sump. You'll have to use a pump designed to be used outside the tank, so something like an Iwaki, little giant, pan world, etc is what I'd be looking for. I'd place it after the uv and chiller to allow it to help pull the water through and back up to the tank. If it's before the two, you will sacrifice a whole lot of it's ability to move water when you dial the flow back through the manifold.

I'd use large enough PVC to allow some of the flow to completely bypass the two so that the pump never runs the risk of cavitation.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying. Once the flow starts from upstairs, it will create a siphon that will reach it's own level most, if not all the way, back to the sump upstairs. It's the same principle as a water level. You need the pump in the basement to help the siphon along a bit so that it becomes a continuous (open) loop with both ends in the sump. You'll have to use a pump designed to be used outside the tank, so something like an Iwaki, little giant, pan world, etc is what I'd be looking for. I'd place it after the uv and chiller to allow it to help pull the water through and back up to the tank. If it's before the two, you will sacrifice a whole lot of it's ability to move water when you dial the flow back through the manifold.

I'd use large enough PVC to allow some of the flow to completely bypass the two so that the pump never runs the risk of cavitation.
Hmm... if I understand stand you right, I basically would need 2 pumps. one to move the water down and another to take the water back up? And I'll need to install the pump that takes the water up after the equipment? [emoji848]

What these guys are saying is the pump downstairs is pumping water from the sump up to the DT. As the water level rises from this, the excess water will flow into the overflow that is going to the downstairs sump. Gravity takes the excess water to the sump, the pump takes the water up to the DT, and the cycle begins over and over. You need only one pump.

The OP has his sump upstairs. So basically it's a closed loop down to the basement thru the UV/Chiller, then return to the upstairs sump.

I use this method to feed my chiller which is downstairs. Works great.

What these guys are saying is the pump downstairs is pumping water from the sump up to the DT. As the water level rises from this, the excess water will flow into the overflow that is going to the downstairs sump. Gravity takes the excess water to the sump, the pump takes the water up to the DT, and the cycle begins over and over. You need only one pump.
The sump is upstairs. I needed to feed the chiller and UV downstairs, but I think I understand what everyone's saying now.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

The OP has his sump upstairs. So basically it's a closed loop down to the basement thru the UV/Chiller, then return to the upstairs sump.

I use this method to feed my chiller which is downstairs. Works great.
Thanks that's exactly what I was trying to explain. How tall is your head pressure and what pump do you use? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Back