Rhinomuraena Quaesita (Black, Blue, Yellow Ribbon Eel) Care

So I ran out of silversides and forgot to pick some up when I was in town near the LFS (it's about a 45 minute drive). Anyhow, I still had that frozen medley in the freezer and figured "oh what the hell". I thawed up some octopus and grabbed it with the tongs. Both eels ate right away. Fed them each two good sized chunks of octopus tentacle! I couldn't be happier!!!

Today I tried some shucked oysters. Even though they were two HUGE bites, both eels happily ate them. I am thinking that anything meaty that goes in will get eaten.

On a side note, I no longer think the goby that I mentioned some posts back was too large for these eels to handle. I hate dropping in a fish, only to be doomed by predation. :( Lesson learned. These guys are like snakes. They will eat things many times larger than their head!

What about this person: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050101 It was started in 2007 and continued into this year. No updates in quite awhile, but I'm sure if you sent them a PM they woudl have tons of info.

I forgot to mention that I actually found this guy on YouTube (channel is SantaMonicaMale) and he has updated as of a few weeks ago. Eels still seems to be doing well and is actually a little spitfire. He has some vids of playing with the eels using tongs similar to what I used in my vid to feed them with.

Last edited:
Thought I would do a little update. We are changing tanks due to some unforeseen events, but I am thinking I shluld be able to keep these guys still. I redid some tunnel work for them and moved them over about an hour ago.

I had to remove them, PVC and all, and one plopped onto the carpet! Wasn't too far of a drop. I hope it's ok! (seems to be)

They both found the new plumbing almost instantly. Neither wanted to feed after they were moved (not surprising), but I will try again tomorrow. For now I am leaving the room completely dark to let them get used to their surroundings.

The new tank is running carbon and biopellets. I had been feeding the tank for about two weeks with the water from the main tank. The biopellets have reduced 80ppm nitrate water to zero (had been swapping water about twice a week). I did have a bacterial bloom, but the biopellet discussion is for another thread.

Anyway, crossing my fingers that hese guys are willing to eat tomorrow. That will have me feeling a LOT better!

I had a blue ribbon in the mid eighties. It started at about 1 1/2' and after a couple years it had grown to over 5' in my 75 gal tank. I aclimated fresh water guppies to the saltwater, which is easy and fast-a couple of days. I then would put a dozzen feeder guppies in at night and they would be gone by morning. They are by nature a nocturnal feeder using sonar or radar from thoir noses. I have heard that when small they are black and turn blue as they grow. Not sure about that since when I sold them in my stores back then I saw blue and black both in a small size, but I have never seen a large black eel. Just the little I know.

lordofthereef, in your photos the eels look pretty small... I'm just curious roughly how big are they?

The ribbon eels we regularly see here, whether imported or local, are usually pretty big. Today for the first time I saw a black juvie, but very small... maybe 15cm at the most in length.

Made me wonder whether its easier to get feeding at this size???

Keep a eye on the calender for full moon phases. While these animals will try to get out at any opportunity- during the full moon they will try even more. Don`t know why- but after keeping records for a few years the escapes of ribbons mainly and morays second- most often escape within a day of a full moon.

Guys, I too have had much luck with a ribbon. A LFS that is now wholesale only got them regularly and mine has done well for a year now. He's very docile and gladly takes frozen squid. I wish I'd bought more when I had the chance. They are truly a beautiful and graceful fish. Mind cohabits with a very docile zebra eel and many other fish. My ribbon is probably nearly 24" now.

I just Read your other thread and I'm sorry for your loss. The reason I first got into Reefing was because of the ribbon eel. Everybody told me the same thing about not to get it, but after I read that same thread on RS I actually saw somebody who successfully kept them alive. So I went and got one took me a while to get it to eat but when it did It it never stopped. Lol Ive had it in for a little over a year now and its still eating well. I believe the PVC pipe maze is the main reason its eating. I didn't Think two were able to successfully be housed together but I think I am going to buy another maybe they can pair up ? who knows ? But Yea If they do not eat for a couple days they will start going after some fish. I have had alot of my small fish disappear over night so I'm sure it was him because I do not have any other predators, and I've seen it take a couple cardinals and chromis into the pipe only to see them swim out. So make sure you either keep it well fed or do not add any small fish because it will definitely go after them.

I'm glad to hear things were going well for you with regard to these eels, and I'm sorry for your loss. I think they're absolutely amazing creatures, and it"s definitely in my plan to have one in my office tank when I eventually get it started.

In the meantime, I have a ghost ribbon eel in my tank at home and it's the one fish everyone asks to see when they come to visit. Truly the fishy centerpiece of my reef tank. My tank is an AGA reef-ready tank and, to protect the eel from the overflow, I superglued a piece of 1/8" square acrylic rod around the inside of the overflow, just above the teeth, to create a lip (had to use a heat gun to bend it to shape). Then I cut a piece of 1/4" thick black acrylic to shape to sit on that lip. That keeps my eel out of the overflow. I used window screen frames and clear mesh screen to create a lid and that, combined with a completely enclosed canopy, keeps the eel in my tank.

If the spacing of your overflow teeth is wider than mine, then I could see how your eel might slip thru. On an old tank, I used black cross stitch backing from the local craft store (it's just a black plastic grid) and glued it inside the overflow teeth to keep fish and inverts from going thru the teeth and into the overflow. You have to be careful as this can restrict the flow thru the teeth, but I never had any problem with it messing up my flow and it worked flawlessly. If you combine that with an overflow lid, you might have success keeping your eel safe.

Of course, while my eel is closely related to your eel, they are different species. If you want me to share my experience in getting my eel to eat well, I'm more than happy to share - but I don't want to bore you if you think they're sufficiently different that my experience isn't applicable to your narrative.

also contain eels :) eating shrimp and squid

Attachments

• _PjO7Sc24YI.jpg
    _PjO7Sc24YI.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
Back