Ric Shrivelled up

yes i have 3 others in the same tank and they have been fine for months. Can you help me out at all?

rics are funny.Ive never deen able to keep rics for longer then 3 months.When mine shrunk they died.I hope you have better luck than I.One thing to for for is that they dont fall of the rock.

Yeah...I or anyone one of my friends have never had any luck with yumas, i hear they are hit or miss. I am asking about the floridas actually.

I found that my ricordia is very sensitive to light. Its an orange ricordia and I have to have it half shaded from direct light or it shrivels. Just my 2 cents if it helps.

micah

My yumma's like lots of light, but my flordia ric prefers out of the direct light. I have 400 w VHO on a standard 125. I have 4 48" bulbs all on one side of the tank, and 2 foot of the tank does not have direct overhead lighting. The part of my tank without the direct lighting is where I keep my flordia rics. Everyone seems happy!!!!

Although rics are generally a low light coral, I have mine under 250w of halides but I have a deep tank.

I would look to see if something has stung you coral recently such as a hammer/torch. Mine has been stung before and they will lose plenty in size but, slowly will grow back.

Thanks for the info jcat.

On a side note the ric is doing really well now, and is in the process of splitting so i will have three yellow rics soon.

Florida Ricordia are found in between 5-30 Ft. of water. They love bright light if your tank lighting could replicate the sun you would still be doing fine. If they are shrinking and shriveling up it's because they are not getting enough light. Depending on where you purchased them from they may have been deprived of light & being put in your tank without proper lighting aclimation might be the problem.

Mine is doing that also. I put him up high to get more light, but he shriveled, moved him back down, and he lies flat out like a shroom should.

Brock

Back