Ridiculous pH problem...out of ideas

boobookitty

Also posted in the reef forum.

I have a 400G, about 3 years old. I've had reef tanks for 20+ years, including a 240G for a decade that did very well. Took it down 6 years ago, started the 400G 3 years after.

The problem is my pH. It's swings between 7.85 during the day down to 7.65 at night, sometimes down to below 7.6. I know not to chase numbers, but that seems reeeeaally low, and I've suffered for a year and a half from periodic coral colony rtn's (good growth until then), sometimes part of a colony, sometimes the whole thing, and I think it's related.

Basic equipment

- 400G tank, 100G sump/fuge
- 8 Radion 30 pros, 20KK profile
- flow provided by Vectra L1 return on a sea swirl (old school!), an MP60, 3 Wavs, and a Panta Rhei.
- Dastaco CA reactor
- SRO Ext-6000 skimmer
- vodka dosing for control of nitrate
- GFO for control of phosphate

Parameters:
- alk 8.0
- CA 450
- Mg 1450
- Nitrate 1ppm
- phosphate 0.15 (been slowly lowering it from 1.5 6 months ago)

I had a nutrient problem that built up over a couple years; tried controlling it with zeovit, which worked well on my old tank but not on this one, and switched to vodka dosing and GFO, which has worked well to substantially lower them. I had thought the stn problem might have been that, but even with lower nutrient I have this issue.

Over the last few weeks I've tried to get the pH issue in hand:

- I've had tubing providing outside air as the skimmer air intake for a year or so; added CO2 scrubbing to it; this helped a little, but still left me with 7.65 at night
- punched a hole through my wall to the outside a couple weeks ago and have fresh air flowing across the top of the tank; this raised pH minimally, around 0.05
- flowed the fresh outside air across the sump; this didn't raise pH at all
- Dastaco's can deliver CO2 through the effluent return, so I had this drop into a tube that flows into the sump to try to avoid CO2 getting into the sump area; a few days ago I added a funnel to the tubing and raised the effluent return an inch, and added a fan blowing across the funnel to keep CO2 from settling into the sump; this actually helped some, around +0.05 pH

Even with all of the above, the best I can get pH during the day is 7.89-7.9, and at night it still can drop below 7.7. Very frustrating. Looking for input regarding any other ideas. I'd prefer not to go to a chemical solution like kalk, but I will if that becomes the only option.

Have you done water changes at all?

If the tank is doing OK even with the low ph, then I wouldn't worry.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Weekly 10% water changes. And as I said, I periodically have large chunks of existing colonies rtn, usually overnight; all sorts, checked for pests and don’t have any, and in a lot of cases it happens at night and then stops, leaving the rest of the colony ok. All other parameters are in line; I even did a Triton icp test to make sure. The fact that pH gets down to 7.65 or lower at night is the only visible culprit.

Maybe I missed it but what kind of pH meter, electrode and calibrants are you using? In addition is your meter temperature compensated. What kind of electrode maintenance schedule do you follow? Sorry but I maintain 48 pH meters etc and rarely find bad water just slightly out of wack pH meters, probes and buffers. I suspect that this isn’t your problem but always like to start at the beginning. Thanks, Ron

I agree that the measurements could be wrong. I am not sure which one, though. I'd get a second opinion on the alkalinity kit, and then check the pH meter for sanity. They can be sensitive to electrical currents, so testing a cup of water well away from the tank sometimes helps. If you could isolate the power lines, that might help, too.

How much outdoor air flow is the tank getting? I know that's hard to estimate, but something seems wrong here.

Apex pH probe. Calibrated recently with both Milwaukee and American Marine calibration fluids, and tested again in 7.01 and 10.01 calibration fluids after being in the tank a day after they were calibrated: they read true. Alkalinity test is Salifert, two different test kits. Believe me, I'd love it if this were just a measurement issue. It's not. The pH is dipping that low (give or take 0.01-0.02).

Air flow from the outside is through a 4" hole using a canopy fan pushing 121 cfm.

Had a problem with the fan blowing across the dastaco effluent return drip; hoping it'll help now that the fan is working properly. I think the dastaco has been dumping CO2 into the sump.

I had a pH issues also but started using 1/2 saturated kalk in my ATO and now my pH runs between 7.9 and 8.3 with a normal diel pattern. I was to lazy to go to the hassle of bringing in fresh air. I wish you the best of luck but my recommendation would be kalk and a good nights sleep. Oh yes I use 1/2 kalk because it dose with saturated kalk and vinegar (calcium acetate) which doesn’t mess up pH and alkalinity as much as EtOH. Ron

[welcome]

Baking soda is a good alkalinity supplement, but it won't improve the pH appreciably if the alkalinity already is in the 7-11 dKH range. Baking soda actually will drop the pH a bit when dosed as it adds carbon dioxide to the water column. Aeration will bring the pH back up, though.

Ph is the little brat of the reef tank. It never listens and just does what it wants Like a spoiled brat you cannot conrol it. Here is mine. Everything seems ok so I just pay no attention. I only do because Apex came with a probe.

Attachments

• ph1029.jpg
    ph1029.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0
Have you tried running the CA Rx effluent across some bioballs or more Ca Rx media to allow the pH to rise before entering system?

On the CO2 aspect, have you taken a sample of water and aerated it to see if the ph comes up? Like a high speed drill stirring wand in a bucket of water.

Definitely appreciate all of the input. It was the Dastaco. Fresh air across the top of the tank helped a little bit, but now that I’ve replumbed the Dastaco effluent drip to drop into a funnel and blow air across it to blow out CO2 (the dastacos vent CO2 through the effluent tube), pH swung between 7.75 and 7.95 yesterday, and 7.8 and 8.0 today. This has plagued me for a while...wish I’d thought of that earlier. I had the effluent dripping into a tube outside the tank that then drained into the sump, but since CO2 is heavier than air it must have been dropping into the tube anyway.

Awesome! This hobby keeps us on our toes. I’ve been spinning my wheels on different problems, but empathize with yours:D

I’m happy to be back in a more normal range. I get it about chasing numbers, but dropping under 7.6 at night seemed waaaaay too acidic for me, and seems to be causing weird problems.

I knew CA reactors do in general (my previous 240G had a large one and always ran low, between 7.8 and 8.0), but the dastaco in particular vents CO2 gas through the effluent tube. They tell you to drip the effluent down a larger tube or pipe into the sump to avoid CO2 going in, which I was doing, but apparently without blowing a fan across that drip point, CO2 gas is still sliding down the tube into the sump.

Back