RO/DI waste water

JordanB8810

I just received my RO/DI unit and was curious if anyone put their waste water to practical/good use? I know I used to use water from water changes on my FW tank for watering plants. They seemed to enjoy the fish poop.

Fill the wash machine up before running a load of laundry....piped to a barrel outside for watering plants/yard....fill a big tank that would be plumbed to refill the toilet tanks after a flush.

There are lots of uses, it just depends on what it is going to cost in terms of water and labor.

You can use the waste water to do water changes on your FW tanks. It's cleaner than tap and shouldn't need any conditioner if your prefilters are good.

You can use the waste water to do water changes on your FW tanks. It's cleaner than tap and shouldn't need any conditioner if your prefilters are good.

Pleas explain!

If i have 1 liter of water with 10% rubbish in it..
I clean it with my RODI and now I have 2 buckets..
- 1 with 0.8 Liters off bad water
- 1 with 0.2 liters off good water

Then we know that the 0.8 Liters of bad water has 10% of rubbish..

So if I add 1 liter of tap water with 10% Rubbish
or
I ad 0.8 Liter with 10% Rubbish..

Where does that get better than before... In my opinion it gets worse....

Pleas explain!

If i have 1 liter of water with 10% rubbish in it..
I clean it with my RODI and now I have 2 buckets..
- 1 with 0.8 Liters off bad water
- 1 with 0.2 liters off good water

Then we know that the 0.8 Liters of bad water has 10% of rubbish..

No, because the pre-filters in the ro/di unit are usually 1 sediment and 2 carbon filters, then that goes to the ro/di where the waste water comes out of. The waste water has a ton less "rubbish" than tapwater.

No, because the pre-filters in the ro/di unit are usually 1 sediment and 2 carbon filters, then that goes to the ro/di where the waste water comes out of. The waste water has a ton less "rubbish" than tapwater.

Cleaner yes; softer no. Using waste RO for me in my FW tanks would mean using harder water for softwater (amazon) fish. Thus not always a good strategy.

I have mine mounted right next to the washing machine. Simple as can be and no waste!

I have mine mounted right next to the washing machine. Simple as can be and no waste!

I do the same. During the winter months, I've also used a few gallons of the waste line here and there to resurface my kids back yard ice rink.

Back