RO Seditment Filter turning Orange

SPS911

My Sediment filter turns rust orange very quickly....2 weeks. Does this happen to you guys as well? Does Hillsborough county water have high levels of iron?

I have to change my sediment filter constantly. It starts turning color after about 60 gallons. Water in Port Richey is horrible

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

^+1 Mine runs about a month and I toss it in the trash. Lowes has the cheap spools of yarn. Been using that but my DI resin gets chewed up quicker...

open to thoughts.

I get a case of half sediment and half charcoal filters on ebay for a pretty low price. I think I've had to buy them twice in the 10 years that I've been doing this. You can get all sediment, or all charcoal too.

Mine turn orange as well but as stated, it's because it's working. It may look bad but changing them out often has not been nesessary for me. I run mine for many many months. I use a pressure gauge to help indicate timing. If my pressure drops, it's time. Looks alone is likely causing change out to be premature. I do change my chloromine filters more often which helps di last longer.
I run 5micron sediment, 2 chloromine blocks, 2 ro membranes (150gph) and dual di resin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

A water softener may seem extreme but I recommend it. Less water spots, including for washing car, and feels better (opinion). As far as the fish go... My filters last 12 months resin lasts about 3 months, and I get 3 tds out of a 2x75 gpd ro setup. I also get damn close to 1:1 water output. This is for a 300+ gal setup, drinking water, and ice.

Dual di canisters rotating 2nd phase to first phase when replacing resin seems to help quite a bit with resin life too.

Back