Rock questions

Pawley

Soooo… I’m newer in the hobby but I’ve run a pretty successful 55 gallon mixed reef tank for the last 6 months. I decided to upgrade and purchased a Red Sea xxl 750 160 gallon display 40 gallon sump. I have my LFS coming to put sand rock and water in tommorow BUT I am concerned about the rock formation. The expert at the lfs says I need to have 150-200 lbs of rock which is fine but I think that’s gonna just make a wall of rock in my tank, I’ve been watching Ryan from brs tv on you tube make the negative aqua scapes and I’m really into that look. My question is. If I allow the lfs store to do the rick the way they want to help cycle the tank faster ect. How soon can I remove all of that rock and replace with my own aqua scape ? Does my own build need to meet a certain weight requirement? And will I mess my water up doing so?

Well, live rock is expensive, so adding "too much" now, only to remove later makes no sense. IMO, get less live rock to start (are they putting in live rock, or just dry rock?), which would make aquascaping easier, and you can always add more later.

It also matters what kind of rock. Some rock is very dense, and 150 lbs wouldn't be a overbearing pile; other rock is more porous and lighter, and could use up a LOT more tank space.

Personally, I'd tell the LFS to keep their rock (unless they are going to use real live rock), and order 100 lbs or so of real ocean liverock from Tampa Bay Saltwater (Tampa Bay Saltwater – America's #1 Live Rock for Reef Aquariums). Then once that has cycled your tank, you can decide if you want to add more dry rock to create the look you want.

Kevin

I have to agree with Kevin. If you’re going to likely be removing some, might as well order less and then buy more as needed. You also want to think of the bigger picture, if you’re going reef, coral will fill in a lot of space

Well, live rock is expensive, so adding "too much" now, only to remove later makes no sense. IMO, get less live rock to start (are they putting in live rock, or just dry rock?), which would make aquascaping easier, and you can always add more later.

It also matters what kind of rock. Some rock is very dense, and 150 lbs wouldn't be a overbearing pile; other rock is more porous and lighter, and could use up a LOT more tank space.

Personally, I'd tell the LFS to keep their rock (unless they are going to use real live rock), and order 100 lbs or so of real ocean liverock from Tampa Bay Saltwater (Tampa Bay Saltwater – America's #1 Live Rock for Reef Aquariums). Then once that has cycled your tank, you can decide if you want to add more dry rock to create the look you want.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin. It is dry rock he said “what your internet people call Marco rock” I purchased the tank used and the lfs set it up for previous owners I asked for a picture and it’s a pretty tank but not really what I like. Below is the tank previously set up. I’ve already paid ($1600) for the sand rock and water and set up is tommorow I’m just really rethinking the look. It’s already paid for and I don’t wanna come off as too picky I just want to be happy with the look as it will be in my living room .

Attachments

• 6ACC6910-DB7E-493E-8514-208E49B6B74E.jpeg
    6ACC6910-DB7E-493E-8514-208E49B6B74E.jpeg
    872.5 KB · Views: 21
Hmm that’s definitely a wall of rock, however with some planning could easily be a nice aquascape with lots of caves. Not sure about going negative with that but I think it’s definitely doable to do a nice non-wall look

Yeah, with dry rock like that, I'd rearrange it as soon as the setup guys left. I'd set up a nice couple of valleys in the rock going to the back wall, with caves and overhangs, then sell the extra rock online. I'd also try to find some real live rock to add some micro diversity ( 10-15 lbs would be plenty).

Good luck!
Kevin

I agree 100% with whats already been said. I'd move much of the rock to the sump to allow more freedom in creating a reefscape you like. Caves/tunnels, overhangs, etc will add much more visual interest for you and make the livestock that much more comfortable as well.

I actually kept the rocks the way they did it I’m gonna let the tank do it’s thing for a few months the redesign

I arranged mine similarly, but used some as pillars to make caves, for circulation and refuge. I do store spare pieces in my sump, where they're also bioactive.

Back