RODI Help

Markk96

Premium Member
Hello everyone. I have been out of the hobby for almost 11 years now, getting back into i have some old stuff sitting around. My old RODI has not been used in that time period either. This is how i have it setup. Do i have it correct?

Attachments

• RODI.jpg
    RODI.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
I think the easiest way would be to just Google a diagram of an Rodi dual membrane

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I believe the waste line of the first RO membrane goes into the input of the second RO membrane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RODI Help

Never mind maybe the housing is different between the 2 that you have LOL .

I believe the waste line of the first RO membrane goes into the input of the second RO membrane

That's how it is. I cannot remember much about this hobby from the past lol.

RODI Help

I double checked the diagram for mine. Looks good :thumbsup:

Some good live rock, good light and good flow. Not much has changed, well except the newer gizmos.

I am slowly buying everything. It is starting to stack up. What is the debate on deep sand bed vs bare tank bottom these days.

I'm getting back into it after a shorter hiatus, but things have definitely changed.

One of the things that has changed is that St Louis area, (and I'm betting Belleville area as well), is now using Chloramines in the water instead of just chlorine. Chloramines are better at disinfecting water and helping to kill bacteria and viruses, but is also substantially harder to remove than chlorine. I really recommend spending time on the BRS youtube channel and watching their videos. ALOT of information there. I know you're not a newbie, (and neither am I), but there is still alot of good information there.

I would suggest looking at their RODI video's for more info regarding chloramine busters, (carbon filters can do it), and I really suggest looking at their WWC/BRS hybrid method video's for more info on keeping SPS with current methodology.

RODI videos:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/category/reverse-osmosis-deionization/

WWC/Hybrid method videos.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBaMLrfToJywe2mMKDKWoLi1Is-Ro3_xk

To answer your question (finally)....BB is being recommended for SPS for flow purposes. Sand can be used but is a giant nutrient sink that requires more maintenance than BB.
DSB is no longer recommended in most cases.

That is good advice.

I am taking my time setting this up. I am running a 7 stage RODI.
Two 75gpd membrane
.5 micron sediment
5 micron universal carbon
.5 micron carbon
Cation
Anion
Mixed bed

This setup should help getting the beat water I can.

I will be doing a bare bottom SPS tank with massive flow.

:celeb1::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Water was bad 10 years ago it's badically toxic now days for aquariums so as said chloramine and ammonia show up a lot so good idea to have some simple tests around for that stuff.

Good to see you back at it Mark!

:celeb1:[emoji106][emoji106]

Water was bad 10 years ago it's badically toxic now days for aquariums so as said chloramine and ammonia show up a lot so good idea to have some simple tests around for that stuff.

Good to see you back at it Mark!
Thanks Chad. I am sure I will be up sometime to see what kind of rock you have.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Spent a small fortune getting my RODI ready again after all this time. I added two more stages to it.
f06bd5f14277bca6a9b576711d70535f.jpg

I never had to before. I have not ran water through this yet.

When talking with buckeye hydro when redoing my system he said that too many pre stages can dramatically shorten membrane life. So I took 2 stages out and now my membrane last at least a year now.

Good info. I never heard that in all my research. I am not going to have a large volume of water. I just want to start with the best quality of water.

If I remember correctly because the water had to go through so many stages it was clogging the face of the membrane? I'm definitely not well educated so I turned to the pros.

I typically get 4-5 years on a membrane. I run a sediment prefilter and two .6 carbon blocks.

Back