RODI question

jkobel

Hi everyone,

been out of the hobby for about 3 years and now getting back in with my kids. This is my first time having an RODI system at home (previously bought from the LFS = nightmare) and everything seems fine.

One thing that I have noticed is that making the RODI water is normal and it smells/tastes normal. I store it in a 32 gallon gray Rubbermaid barrel that has never been used for anything other then water and i Keep it in the basement with the lid on. When i go to get water to top off, there is a musty smell when i open the lid. seems strange, any ideas?

Should i be doing something to the water in there to keep it "fresh? I was expecting that nothing would grow in RODI (bacteria/mould) water so it wouldn't get stagnant.

any tips on how to properly store RODI water?

Thanks!

jkobel

thanks for the tip! didn't realize that was going to make that big of a difference. does the lid need to be open? figured it should be closed to keep dust and other stuff out.

Palting

I don't use a powerhead on my RODI bin. It is a 55 gallon Brute, emptied with use and refilled once every 2 weeks. Unless your bin is contaminated, the "musty smell" may just be humidity. I keep mine covered to hold evaporation in and keep out dust.