Rod's Food

nebraskareef

MFCEO
Premium Member
I stopped into the fish store today on a whim (Off-Topic;I don't do much business here, but the quality of livestock seems to have improved, so I'll be checking things out more frequently)

Anyways, I was pleased to see they carry the 3 "original" varieties of Rod's Food - Reef, Herb, Predator, and picked up the reef blend. $20 on the flatpack.

I've read alot of good things about this stuff, but the overnight shipping really made it too expensive to mail order for me. I put a little in the tank this evening and my yellow coris seemed to enjoy the larger bits. An aiptasia managed to grab a big chunk but I quickly dispersed that with a long stick! (Pro Tip: ALWAYS have something long, preferably with a sharp end on one side to make quick, effortless saves!)

Anyways, we'll see how it goes. If you guys are already using it, let me know what you think!

I realize this is probably old news, but hey - not alot to get excited about around here.

i've always wanted to get some, but like you said i never wanted to pay shipping for it. i might hafta make a trip to lincoln and get some.

If you do come down, I think they get shipments on wed or thurs - you might want to check that out before you drive all the way down here for some food. Maybe something could be worked out and I can bring some up for you the next time I go up to Omaha - not sure when that will be though.

I got some in a raffle deal, and it seems to be a big hit in my tank. Most of my fish get primarily pellets to keep overfeeding down, but this now gets feed once a week to spoil them.

i'd for sure take you up on that. let me know the next time you are coming down. if i dont make it up there before then, it would be much apreciated.

or i got a friend who lives in lincoln i might have pick me up some. he doesn't have any clue when it come to fish tanks but i think he can manage "get me some fish food".

i'm sure i'll be ranting and raving about it when i get some so you'll know

Re: Rod's Food

I'm kind of lucky right now that all my fish are eating well but I wonder if I supplemented my normal pellets with this stuff a couple times a week if it would be better. Besides general health does rods help with color or anything like that? Also I have noticed that some pellets end up in the sump where they float around until they dissolve so my next question would be does the rods food clean up well? I've used frozen before that kill my skimmer for some length of time, does rods food stop your skimmer for a while?

Brad,

There is a list of ingredients on the site, http://www.rodsfood.com - I perused the package and pamphlet that they had at the store but didn't notice anything specifically relating to color change. The list of ingredients is staggering - there is just about everything in this blend. Since I got the "reef" version, the majority of the food is very, very small (kind of like cyclopeeze) but there are larger bits in it as well.

I put half a dime size piece in my tank (they expressly say DO NOT RINSE THIS FOOD) and the fish and my lps were going nuts. With that being said, the other 2 varieties still have some of the reef stuff in them, but larger bits of vegetable or meat matter. It would be fun to mix some together.

I had just cleaned my skimmers so I couldn't tell/notice any issue with the food. It's usually the oils in the frozen food that cause the skimmer issue - I'll try to get a baseline on that the next time I feed.

-Daniel

Brad,

I just noticed this on the site

Why are there land based vegetables in Rod's Food?

Broccoli is high in vitamin C content and vitamin C has been proven to help with HLLE. Carrots have carotenoids that aid in coloration.

I would highly suggest checking out the site, they provide some good info.

I feed our fish at the shop Romaine Lettuce and Cilantro. The tangs go batty over it, and it's good for them.

I've gone through two flat packs so far. There is a lot of positive feedback on the Rod's Food products and I would add another positive review to that. I don't really have any finicky eaters, so hard to tell if they like it better or not compared to the frozen mysis based mix that I usually use. I know they like both :)

Nice to the the fish store is carrying it.

Alan,

What varieties have you used? Have your found the original to meet your needs as far as feeding the fish?

Just two packs of the original blend. I think it met the needs of the fish, but I still like to mix it up with mysis and nori only feedings. I still use a variety of the Ocean Nutrition frozen and dry foods too. I think the Rod's Original would be a great option if you were looking for just a single reef food product.

I feed our fish at the shop Romaine Lettuce and Cilantro. The tangs go batty over it, and it's good for them.

all "people" greens need to be blanched, and preferably from an organic store. fish have a hard time digesting the cellulose, and non-organic stuff is loaded with phosphorous. they are great for enrichment, but not very nutritious (nori is much better).

Thats great news, they mentioned something about that the last time I was in looking for cyclopeeze.

oh lol. I don't know The Fish Store was a proper noun since it was typed lower case. Thought it was a hint at something else :lol: Thanks guys :)

Back