Royal-Exclusiv / Vertex Cone Skimmer Club

How do i clean the red air stack?

I have soaked the pump in vinegar and not getting the results i was hoping for...how do i take apart or properly clean the air stack????

its an alpha 200

How do i clean the red air stack?

I have soaked the pump in vinegar and not getting the results i was hoping for...how do i take apart or properly clean the air stack????

its an alpha 200

I doubt it's necessary or going to gain you anything but the silencer just pulls off the air line. Remove the airline from the pump and pull up on the silencer while feeding the airline up through the tube until you can remove the airline tubing from the nipple on the bottom of the silencer. I dont know if the silencer comes apart or not but you should be able to tell if it is clogged or not with it removed.

Rather than just soaking the pump, you can remove the volute and clean the inside surfaces and the impeller. It is very easy to remove the volute. Just remove the screws and pull it off. Using a little non toxic lubricant on the O-ring makes it easier when putting it back together. The pins on the impeller can catch and hold some debris over time which can reduce air pull a little bit. I took mine apart and cleaned it a couple months ago. Use a toothbrush and/or tube cleaning brushes if you have any. It's a much more thorough cleaning than just soaking the pump in vinegar. Just takes a few minutes. Just make sure you use a properly sized, slotted screwdriver so you dont strip the screw heads. They are just snugged tight, they arent "torqued" tight.

It is normal for a skimmer to go through periods where it skims more or less depending on changing conditions in the system that increase or decrease the bioload and the substances that skimmers remove. ie ... increased bacterial populations either occuring naturally or due to adding supplements or even foods containing carbohydrate (gluconated calcium supplements for example). Or intentionally dosing with vodka, vinegar and/or sugar. Or simply feeding more ... or die off of clean up crews and probably 1000 other possible scenarios. In other words, it may not be the skimmer not working as well at all, simply less organics in the system to be skimmed out.

I need help! I had this skimmer since it came out, it skims very light yellow color. I have tried to lower the water level, but it then takes at least a week to see some darker product. It just seems to have two extremes skimming very wet or not skimming at all if the water level is lowered.

It sits in a 10" water level and its pretty stable. I don't have much room in sump, so the intake of the pump is almost against the wall of the sump but still has enough room. I've tried both of the attachments for the pump having the same result.

Do you guys just turn the tube left and right to adjust the water level? Or do you need to raise it up and down as well? ANY suggestions will be very appreciated!

I just put a euro reef just to see the difference and immediately I could see it pulling out more junk out of the water then the alpha 250, which indicated there has to be something wrong with the way I have it running.

I would say you need at least two inches between the pump intake and the wall of the sump from personal experience.

I agree, try giving it some more space from the sump wall to see if that helps. It could be restricting it too much.

Thanks, I figured it was not an ideal way to have it, but in order for me to give it more space, I will need to replace my whole sump, just want to make the best of what I have for the time being.

How did you guys get the 47mm nozzle? Do I just cut one of the two that came with it to 47mm?

hi there. I'm just wondering if anyone has an experience with other high end skimmers the ATB Cone and the Deltec recirculating skimmers come to mind. I'll be shopping for a skimmer in the next two days and it seems from reading this forum that these Alpha Kones are a little finicky. Is it all worth it or should I just get a regular vertex. The tank I will be setting up tonight is a DeepSea Aquatics 70gal SPS dominated.

hi there. I'm just wondering if anyone has an experience with other high end skimmers the ATB Cone and the Deltec recirculating skimmers come to mind. I'll be shopping for a skimmer in the next two days and it seems from reading this forum that these Alpha Kones are a little finicky. Is it all worth it or should I just get a regular vertex. The tank I will be setting up tonight is a DeepSea Aquatics 70gal SPS dominated.

Ive had my Alpha 200 for several months now.
After break in I havent found it to be finicky at all. It's on a 90 gallon with a fairly light bioload, 38 gallon sump. I havent adjusted the wedgepipe since after the first months break-in. It just skims. Ive cleaned the pump once since its been set up. Sometimes it skims lighter, sometimes darker, just depends on whats going on with the tank at the time or what Im feeding or how heavy im feeding etc. But I never have to mess with it besides cleaning the neck and cup. It just skims. No issues, still running silent and just as strong as when new. I have owned a lot of different skimmer types and brands over the years. The Alpha is definitely my favorite and the best skimmer I have used. I cant say it's the best performing skimmer on the market, I havent owned them all. So do your research and hopefully my post helps in some small way, no matter what skimmer you decide on.

This picture is 3 or 4 days of skimmate. Ive been lazy and havent cleaned the neck or cup for probably ten days. But, I drained the cup last friday or saturday. There is another picture of my 200 back in this thread that I took after break in. You'd have to search back to find it but it's there if interested.

alpha200nov24-09.jpg

I appreciate it DarG I've been doing a ton of research over the last week or so and I made my decision. I joined the club!! Thanks Jeremy @ Premium Aquatics :bounce1:

Jeremy

I have the alpha 300 and I just hooked the pumps up with whatever nozzle came in them and put the skimmer in 10" of water and turned it on.

So my question is for the 300 which nozzle does what?
What water depth should I be running and with which nozzle?
How far closed should the wedge pipe be with each nozzle?

I realize finally tuning will be up to me but a good starting point would be nice.

Thanks

Hi,

The longer nozzles will pull around 1900-2000LPH for each pump, while the shorter nozzles will pull 2200-2300LPH per pump. I would recommend starting with the shorter nozzles that have more air draw. As far as the wedge pipe goes, it's hard to say, however set your water level in the skimme about 1.5" - 2" under the bottom of the collection cup, in the neck. You can then adjust from there.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Jeremy,
After changing the nozzles for the short ones, and with 9´deep, even opening 100% of the water out pipe, the water level stays above the collection cup...

is there any way to down the water level ?

Best regards.

Hello I looked through several pages of this thread and did not see either of my questions discussed. I think they're easy ones :)

1) I'm planning a 200 g display with 40-60 g frag tank plumbed in and with 80 gal sump/fuge. For a mostly SPS tank well stocked should I be looking at the 250 or
the 200?

2) Can you run these external? All the pix I saw were internal

3) I would like to plumb directly from display tank downspouts to the skimmer, would be limited to 1000 gpm intake, 1200 at the outside. Is this too low for optimum performance? Is this a bad set up for this skimmer?

4) Realize this is an alpha cone forum, they look awesome but would take an
alternative rec if I'd be headed in the wrong direction with this set up.

Hello I looked through several pages of this thread and did not see either of my questions discussed. I think they're easy ones :)

1) I'm planning a 200 g display with 40-60 g frag tank plumbed in and with 80 gal sump/fuge. For a mostly SPS tank well stocked should I be looking at the 250 or
the 200?

2) Can you run these external? All the pix I saw were internal

3) I would like to plumb directly from display tank downspouts to the skimmer, would be limited to 1000 gpm intake, 1200 at the outside. Is this too low for optimum performance? Is this a bad set up for this skimmer?

4) Realize this is an alpha cone forum, they look awesome but would take an
alternative rec if I'd be headed in the wrong direction with this set up.

These are internal, in sump skimmers.

Not being recirc skimmer, you cannot feed them direct from the drains. They use a pump to pump water and air into the skimmer.

With that much water voume, I'd go with the 250.

The reasonging for you only seeing internal skimmers is the external versions haven't been released yet, but they are in work.

As Darg mentioned, with them not being recirc style skimmers, you can't really feed directly from your overflow.

As far as other recommendations, I'd reccomend you wait for the externals to come out or reconfigure to be able to use one of the internal models. These really are great skimmers at a great price, especially if you order from PA this weekend.

D

Back