Royal-Exclusiv / Vertex Cone Skimmer Club

Just received my Alpha 300 5 days ago... working ok.

I really enjoyed the quality and thos pumps... but makes no sense to me to receive a US$1.2K Skimmer with no instruction manual...

Don´t really know how to fine adjust the product....

Here is the picture....

PB030004.jpg

Hi all~

Could you tell me the right water level in sump of each nozzle in alpha 250?

Thanks in advance~

The Alpha 250 would work best in 9.5" - 10" of sump depth.

Thanks Jeremy.
I know the reefer who has alpha250 and he said he used the red nozzle in 10" sump depth and he felt the noise from the skimmer motor and he raised the sump depth to 8" (about 21cm) and the noise was gone.

He said when using the shorter nozzle in 25cm, the skimming was very good but has noise.

I am not sure shorter nozzle is red but Could you tell me proper water level (each of them)

Longer nozzle : ?cm
Shorter nozzle : ?cm

or Both would work in 9.5" - 10" of sump depth?
What is difference between them?

Thanks Jeremy.
I know the reefer who has alpha250 and he said he used the red nozzle in 10" sump depth and he felt the noise from the skimmer motor and he raised the sump depth to 8" (about 21cm) and the noise was gone.

He said when using the shorter nozzle in 25cm, the skimming was very good but has noise.

I am not sure shorter nozzle is red but Could you tell me proper water level (each of them)

Longer nozzle : ?cm
Shorter nozzle : ?cm

or Both would work in 9.5" - 10" of sump depth?
What is difference between them?

Jeremy

I am wondering the same thing. I have the alpha 300 and I just hooked the pumps up with whatever nozzle came in them and put the skimmer in 10" of water and turned it on.

So my question is for the 300 which nozzle does what?
What water depth should I be running and with which nozzle?
How far closed should the wedge pipe be with each nozzle?

I realize finally tuning will be up to me but a good starting point would be nice. I do feel a $1200 skimmer should come with some kind of manual, instructions, but since it doesnt you are the next best thing. lol probably better actually. hehe

Thanks
Scott

I have changed the nozzle and.... UAU... lot of bubble... My oppinion is that is far more than 20% increment.

The bad side was that even 100% open the wedge pipe, there is a tendency to overskimmer...

Anyway... it´s a completely different skimmer now... (for the best)

I have changed the nozzle and.... UAU... lot of bubble... My oppinion is that is far more than 20% increment.

The bad side was that even 100% open the wedge pipe, there is a tendency to overskimmer...

Anyway... it´s a completely different skimmer now... (for the best)

Sump water level is probably too high if it is overskimming with wide open wedge pipe. Not sure of your skimmer model or situation but that should apply generally to all of the Alphas.

thanks...

I really have to tell that before changing nozzle, It wasn´t really a greate deal comparing with my 9440 (tunze), but with the new nozzle... It´s something better than the BBK300 that My friend have...

Just received my Alpha 300 5 days ago... working ok.

I really enjoyed the quality and thos pumps... but makes no sense to me to receive a US$1.2K Skimmer with no instruction manual...

Don´t really know how to fine adjust the product....

Here is the picture....

PB030004.jpg

No manual?????thats make special about bk skimmer 2k skimmer still don't have manual so don't cry

I agree, it would be nice to have a manual for these skimmers, I would love to have one myself so I could send out to customers.

hey everyone...

my alpha is not skimming like it used to...

what is everyones recommendations on housekeeping.?

how often and how are you cleaning the pump?

do you do anything with the air intake stack??

Larry

hey everyone...

my alpha is not skimming like it used to...

what is everyones recommendations on housekeeping.?

how often and how are you cleaning the pump?

do you do anything with the air intake stack??

Larry

I had a little build up in the air intake stem at the pump. I went ahead and pulled the volute off and cleaned the impeller and inside of the volute and used a small brush and vinegar and cleaned that stem of the small amount of calcium/salt/hard water build up. It wasnt much build up by the way. Put everything back together and did have to re-adjust the wedgepipe a bit but I ended up readjusting it back to where it originally was within a few days.
But my skimmer was still skimming fine before the cleaning. I really havent had to adjust the wedgepipe at all since after initial break in other than after the cleaning as described. As I mentioned, the skimmer was still skimming great before hand. Just wanted to check the pump and give it a routine maint. cleaning. Im probably going to do the same maybe every 4 months or so just to keep up on it. It cant hurt.

So you could check that air intake stem just to make sure there isnt any buildup. If you do pull the entire volute to clean the needlewheel and inside ... I had a hard time getting it put back together. The dry o-ring hangs things up when reassembling. A very thin layer of non toxic lubricant on the o-ring and it slid right back into place. Wetting the O-ring may have worked as well but I used the lubricant.

As far as including a manual. Personally, the only reason why I was surprised it didnt include one was because it is a fairly expensive skimmer in the "high end" category. But as far as needing one, I dont think I would have looked at it anyway. Atleast not until after I had it up and running. But I have had a lot of different skimmers over the years. I can definitely see how some hobbyists could need one as this may be their first skimmer of this type or numerous other reasons. But, they really should come with some type of instruction and information sheet or small manual, all skimmers should. That said, many skimmers I have owned havent come with any paperworK. A few have come with one or two pages of decent documentation and some have come with a page or two of very poorly translated chinese to english. Only one that I can remember has come with very detailed instructions and that was a Lifereef skimmer.
It would be a very nice and logical detail for good documentation to be included with the Alphas or any of the higher end skimmers.

Good news, confirmed the skimmers for arrival on 11/23 - 11/24. This includes the 220v models as well.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Back