Royal-Exclusiv / Vertex Cone Skimmer Club

Based on what I've read, the current batch of Alpha 200's have 2 differences from the first batch:

1. Neck is white instead of gray
2. Different set of adjustment nozzles

Picture (left to right)
1. 56mm nozzle with small fitting (interior diameter 17mm), fitting not removable
2. 56mm nozzle with standard fitting (interior diameter 19mm), fitting removable
3. 59mm nozzle (interior diameter 19mm), use fitting from #2

4180568027_f24277bee4_o.jpg

Can someone post a picture of the nozzles that came with the first batch of Alpha 200's and the specs? I'm interested in what the differences are.

Based on what I've read, the current batch of Alpha 200's have 2 differences from the first batch:

1. Neck is white instead of gray
2. Different set of adjustment nozzles

Picture (left to right)
1. 56mm nozzle with small fitting (interior diameter 17mm), fitting not removable
2. 56mm nozzle with standard fitting (interior diameter 19mm), fitting removable
3. 59mm nozzle (interior diameter 19mm), use fitting from #2

4180568027_f24277bee4_o.jpg

Can someone post a picture of the nozzles that came with the first batch of Alpha 200's and the specs? I'm interested in what the differences are.

Dont have a picture or the sizes but included was the red insert on the far left (assuming it measures the same) ... and an insert with smaller ID that looks about the same as the one on the far left of your picture except it is all grey in color. ... Rough measurement is 59mm long with 16 or 17mm ID. The Red insert is currently operating in my pump but Im sure that Jeremy could confirm the measurements of the original two inserts included with the first 200's.

Hi, I'm new to the club with an Alpha 300.

As this forum seems to be the online manual, I have a few questions:

1 Baffle height in sump? Is 12" ok for the 300?

2. What is the third inlet at the bottom for? It only came with 2 pumps, can I hookup 3? or can I use one as a recirc?

3. What are the two small red pieces of pvc pipe for? they have 55 stamped on each.

Thanks much for the help

I ask everyone to help to start my alpha cone 200 just arrived.
I have the same set of Nozzles adjustment when using one (17mm) to be standard 19mm ?
to adjust the height of water in the body of the shimmer I rotate the exhaust?

with a level in the sump 9 "I ask you:
How high must the body of water in the skimmer?

thanks to all

2. What is the third inlet at the bottom for? It only came with 2 pumps, can I hookup 3? or can I use one as a recirc?

3. What are the two small red pieces of pvc pipe for? they have 55 stamped on each.

Thanks much for the help

I have the Alpha 300

I run my water level at 10". This seems to be max water level height for me. If I run it any higher it overflows the skimmer with the wedge pipe wide open. So 12" is to much IMO

The third hole is for moving one of the pumps to the other side. Relocate one of the pumps. Then you would just use the plug to plug the hole you took the pump off of.

These are the smaller volutes, there are already longer ones installed in the pumps. You can take the front of the pump off and replace the longer ones with the shorter ones. This will allow the pumps to pull more air. I find that my skimmer works better with the shorter ones.

Hope this helps
Scott

I ask everyone to help to start my alpha cone 200 just arrived.
I have the same set of Nozzles adjustment when using one (17mm) to be standard 19mm ?
to adjust the height of water in the body of the shimmer I rotate the exhaust?

with a level in the sump 9 "I ask you:
How high must the body of water in the skimmer?

thanks to all

I dont understand all of what you are asking relative to the different inserts (nozzles).
Anyway ... yes, you adjust the level in the skimmer and the skimmate (wet or drier) by rotating the wedgepipe/exhaust so it is either more open or more closed. The more it is closed, the higher the water/foam level in the skimmer and the wetter it will skim.

Jeremy has suggested allowing the skimmer to run for 2 or 3 days with the wedgepipe wide open to allow the pump to settle in and the skimmer to break in a little bit (a "slime" coat start to form on the acrylic ... etc). Whether you decide to do this or not is up to you.
Regardless ... the water level/bubble breaking point should be adjusted inside the neck at a level somewhere between the collar and the bottom of the collection cup. This is a good starting point but things can change a lot during the first few days so I would start with the level lower, closer to the collar. Then make very small adjustments from there. My 200 took 3 weeks to really start showing what it could do. It will skim well before that time but may keep improving for weeks.

Thanks much for the help

Blue Ribbon

This morning I raised my skimmer in my sump so it is now setting in 9" of water and now I have much more control over the foam head. I can close the wedge pipe more and skim wet or leave it wide open and skim dry. Before I could only skim wet and had to leave the wedge pipe wide open when the skimmer was in 10" of water. So I would shot for 9" and you will have better adjustment control over the skimmer. It seems that in 9" it is creating a thicker foam head also.

I dont understand all of what you are asking relative to the different inserts (nozzles).
Anyway ... yes, you adjust the level in the skimmer and the skimmate (wet or drier) by rotating the wedgepipe/exhaust so it is either more open or more closed. The more it is closed, the higher the water/foam level in the skimmer and the wetter it will skim.

Jeremy has suggested allowing the skimmer to run for 2 or 3 days with the wedgepipe wide open to allow the pump to settle in and the skimmer to break in a little bit (a "slime" coat start to form on the acrylic ... etc). Whether you decide to do this or not is up to you.
Regardless ... the water level/bubble breaking point should be adjusted inside the neck at a level somewhere between the collar and the bottom of the collection cup. This is a good starting point but things can change a lot during the first few days so I would start with the level lower, closer to the collar. Then make very small adjustments from there. My 200 took 3 weeks to really start showing what it could do. It will skim well before that time but may keep improving for weeks.

thanks for the tips I will do as indicated also by Jeremy.
demand on nozzels 17 or 19 mm is to understand when to use one rather than another.
for example 17 mm inserts less water / air to the skimmer to obtain skimming to slower and deeper?

ths

Finally installed my Alpha 200 in my sump a couple of days ago. My tank is 200g with a 45g sump. ~9 fish and light coral load (mostly small frags). Actual water volume is probably in the 180-200 range. Feed one cube of mysis and one cube of spirulina brine shrimp each day. I ran my skimmer in exactly 8" of water.

Initial impression. WOW, this thing is quiet. I was surprised when I plugged it in, I couldn't hear a thing.

I'm a little surprised a few people had problems with setting up this skimmer and getting it to perform. To be honest, I was a little hesitant after reading some of the comments on this thread. I threw the skimmer in my sump, plugged it in, adjusted the wedge pipe, and the skimmer started forming a dry foam head in less than 5 minutes. Maybe I got lucky, but I have 0 microbubbles, no water dribbling, no turbulence, and it is performing well right out of the box. I filled my collection cup within 48 hours with a medium colored tea skimmate.

I am using the 59mm nozzle with 19mm ID. I'll probably try the other nozzles one of these days, but don't see any reason to.

To all of you on the fence about this skimmer, it's a no brainer in my opinion: truly silent, plug & play, great performance, excellent build quality, and looks sexy.

thanks for the tips I will do as indicated also by Jeremy.
demand on nozzels 17 or 19 mm is to understand when to use one rather than another.
for example 17 mm inserts less water / air to the skimmer to obtain skimming to slower and deeper?

ths

Yes, the 17mm ID should restrict the intake more meaning less air. I believe that Jeremy has the actual air performance numbers for both intake "nozzles". If im not mistaken, I think that Jeremy recently wrote that he doesnt recommend the grey "nozzle" for most systems but I could be mistaken and dont want to speak for him. So shoot him a PM to get the details. But if I have it right and that is his opinion, I would agree. The red nozzle is the only one I would personally use.

I'd like to thank Jeremy for his help.This is my first real skimmer,I tried the Red Sea C-Skim 1200 and sent it back.This one I'll keep.I'm new so hello.

I'm new to cone skimmers and good skimmers in general.I have a new 170,with updated pump.Some of the info I'm about to give you might be a little vague,my
sump is cramped and the skimmer faces away.I'm running in 9" with almost two turns out,the water level in the skimmer is just visible above the collar,the hose in the wedge pipe is about 10 degrees off the tee.The foam is stable about an inch from the top,it has been running wet but its only a 50gal.with a light load.
How far from being right am I?Here is a photo.Thank you.

Attachments

• Equipment 008.jpg
    Equipment 008.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1
I was thinking maybe,a little more turn for more water,air and opening wedge just a little to drop water level to just below collar.

I think you're right on the money now. If you do make any changes, I would wait for a few days. See how the skimmer performs where it's at for a little while (meaning 3-5 days), then make the change. When you make the change, make it small, and don't adjust more than 1 thing at a time. Wait a few more days to see your results.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Back