Royal-Exclusiv / Vertex Cone Skimmer Club

I dunno I am engaged, she didn't seem to mind/ I am trying to get my next setup before the wedding so she can't say to much now. My money is my money now, but when we are married it is "our" money.

She doesn't mind now,but I think you know what is coming next.Good luck to both of you. Anyway the 170 is running great,my nitrates are zero.I can tell when there is a load on the the skimmer and when there's not,having a lightly stocked 50 it isn't going to produce dark rich yum yum.I'm not experienced enough to know if I've found the sweet spot but it is doing what I want it to.Very happy with the skimmer!

Hi All

I hooked up my Alpha 200 in my sump and its making bubbles bellow the white neck piece. The widge pipe is fully open, but I am not to sure about the air valve, b/c there is no way for me to tell if I am giving more air into the skimmer or not.

Can someone please let me know what I should do now?, should I close the widge pipe a little so the bubbles will come above the neck and into the chamber, also how do I tell the skimmer is alredy broken or not?

I mean the break-in period for the skimmer is done or not

Thanks

Pran

Hi Jeremy

about 15 hrs

I hooked it up last night and I was skimming new salt water but there was like some dirt at the bottom of the sump with old water.

Before the foam came to the chmaber and came down, and when it came down its like pure water.

now the foam/bubbles are in the neck of the skimmer and not coming up

also what is the adjustment for this skimmer, only the red wedge pipe, that u use to open the "gate valve" type of thigy

but I dont know how I can increase or decrease the air intake

thx

Pran

Last edited:
Start closing the wedge pipe to bring the water level up into the neck of the skimmer. Set the actual water level of the skimmer between the collar and the bottom of the collection cup.

Thanks,
Jeremy

What size would I need to order for a Total water volume of 180ish medium stocked tank ? I also keep all SPS if that helps any. I know most skimmers advertise larger then they are. Thanks in advance :)

What size would I need to order for a Total water volume of 180ish medium stocked tank ? I also keep all SPS if that helps any. I know most skimmers advertise larger then they are. Thanks in advance :)

I think a 170 would be great. a 200 would work well as well, if you plan to upgrade.

Reefobsession,I didn't mean it to be quite that harsh.Just kidding about the "no you can't dear'" thing about what happens after marriage.I'm sure your new tank days aren't over yet.:D Anyway I finally have this skimmer figured out,I gave it a little more turn and backed off the wedge pipe like I was thinking and bingo sweet spot running at 9".Love this skimmer.:love1:

Last edited:
ThrulowR, I think I would lean towards the 200. The 170 would probably handle it, but the 200 would be the best fit in my opinion. We currently have 3 of the Alpha 200's left in stock. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,
Jeremy

ThrulowR, I think I would lean towards the 200. The 170 would probably handle it, but the 200 would be the best fit in my opinion. We currently have 3 of the Alpha 200's left in stock. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Would a 250 be over kill ? I need to measure my sump/fuge still to see what fits. I have a ADHI 45 and space seems limited.

anyone getting alpha 200, make sure u have enff room to take the collection cup outside for cleaning.

I only worried about the foot print of my sump and did not worry about the collection cup. Mine is a in wall tank and my sump is 21 inch high, and the space between my sump and dt tank stand is only 7.8 inch. As a result I can't take the collection up outside anymore, I have it in the sump, and I guess whenever I need to clean it I will keep it there and clean it w/o taking it to the wash room to wash.

b/c the collection up is 9+/- inch in diameter and around that in height too.

Pran

question for everyone:

I'm planning on a 120g display tank that will be heavily stocked. I'll probably have a 40g sump for a total of 160g. Do you think the 200 cone is too big for this setup or the new 170?

Thanks!

question for everyone:

I'm planning on a 120g display tank that will be heavily stocked. I'll probably have a 40g sump for a total of 160g. Do you think the 200 cone is too big for this setup or the new 170?

Thanks!

I don't think it would necessarily be "too big", however it's just not needed. The 170 is more than capable of handling that size system, and then some.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I don't think it would necessarily be "too big", however it's just not needed. The 170 is more than capable of handling that size system, and then some.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Thanks! I've always thought it would be necessary to get a skimmer that has a max rated tank volume that is double the system you have. Does that not apply with these skimmers because of the cone design and the efficiency of the red dragon pump?

thanks!

one more question for everyone:

What skimmer would everyone recommend for a 180g display tank, heavily stocked with maybe a 40-60g sump. The 200 cone or the 250 cone?

thanks!

Thanks! I've always thought it would be necessary to get a skimmer that has a max rated tank volume that is double the system you have. Does that not apply with these skimmers because of the cone design and the efficiency of the red dragon pump?

thanks!

It was a common recommendation in the past to get a skimmer rated to handle 2X the system volume. It didnt apply to all skimmers but it was a common recommendation. It still probably applies, to play it safe, with many of the cheap, budget skimmers. But probably most of the modern skimmers made by manufacturers with good reputations are either truly rated or even conservatively rated. The Alpha Kones are one of those as are all the Bubble King manufactured skimmers along with many other brands. They will easily handle what they are rated for and beyond.

For the record, I use an Alpha 200 on a 90 gallon display with 38 gallon sump with a 156 gallon display (and probably the 90 gallon as the sump) in the future plans. The 200 skims the 90 gallon extremely well, its amazing what it pulls out of my farily lightly loaded system, but I bought it knowing that I would be going to a 150 - 180 gallon display in the future. So, you can trust that Alphas will easily handle what they are rated for or you can upsize if you want to but as Jeremy stated, it isnt necessary.

Back