Royal-Exclusiv / Vertex Cone Skimmer Club

I did some more adjustments today, but the microbubbles keep coming out of exhaust. Here are the latest pictures:

Wedge pipe's current position:

img00054-20100926-0936.jpg

Water level inside the collection cup:

IMG00056-20100926-0937.jpg

Bubbles still an issue:

IMG00053-20100925-2046.jpg

I reduced the water level in the sump to 1" less what it was before.

The water level in the sump is 11.5" and the skimmer sits on a 4" platform. So the net water depth for the skimmer is 7.5". I decreased the water level one more inch (to 6.5") and saw the microbubbles reduce. The intensity of microbubbles are reduced but still some present at that level. I put it back at 7.5" for now.

The sump is in the basement. Is it possible that the force of water falling from a floor above could be a reason why the skimmer behaves this way?

Also the skimmer pump is close to the output of the sump which is hooked up to an external pump to push the water back to the first floor. Is it because of the suction power of the external pump that causes this?

I had a local customer who was having the same issue just over the weekend with an Alpha 200. I had him bring it by so I could take a look at it. After I messed around with it some, I came to the conclusion that 2 turns out, wtih the skimmer setting in 8" of sump depth was perfect for it. The wedge pipe was right about where you're running now, maybe slightly more closed.

Thanks Jeremy. It is now at 8" depth with 2 turns out and the wedge pipe is little bit closer. I have to wait and see how things turn out.

At that setting, what it is the height of the water within the collection cup? Mine is about 1.5-2" below the top edge.

In other words, what is the optimal height? In many pictures posted in this thread, I see that the water is right at the top edge. Is that what I should try to achieve?

The water inside the skimmer could be as low as the connection of the cup to the body, or as high as a few inches from the top edge. Anything higher and you're most likely going to overflow eventually.

Thanks! I thought it has to be closer to the top edge based on the pictures and have been battling with the overflow issue. I was also under the (wrong) assumption that the gunk collected in the cup need to be lifted as high as possible. I stand corrected now. Thank you for your response.

Is 8" the preferred depth of the skimmer? Mine is in 9" and am having a heck of a time getting it adjusted. Its overflowed the cup twice today. If i go less than 2 turns out i get surging, if i go more than 2" out it will overflow the cup. What I find really amusing I can make a small adjustment and wait for a short time (30mn) and nothing changes. I come back a few hours later to check on things and the collection cup is full. Just curious why new housing weren't created to solve this issue? Just getting very frustrating. Thanks for the help.

Looking for help with ozone. Using the Alpha skimmers. Does anyone use ozone thru the port on the skimmer? If so are you using pumped ozone or is the vacuum thru the red dragon pump enough? I want to purchase an ozone generator and there are 2 main types either they have an airpump built in or they don't. Which do I need? Thanks for the help.

Is 8" the preferred depth of the skimmer? Mine is in 9" and am having a heck of a time getting it adjusted. Its overflowed the cup twice today. If i go less than 2 turns out i get surging, if i go more than 2" out it will overflow the cup. What I find really amusing I can make a small adjustment and wait for a short time (30mn) and nothing changes. I come back a few hours later to check on things and the collection cup is full. Just curious why new housing weren't created to solve this issue? Just getting very frustrating. Thanks for the help.

Which model? If you're speaking of the 200, it doesn't need a new housing, it's perfect the way it is. If it's surging then something else is at play causing it. The 200's never had a surge issue, it was only the 170. Try it at 8" and see what happens. I always ran my 200 at 9" and 9.5", but it's no longer up and going, and the 200 I just ran for another guy was best at 8".

Which model? If you're speaking of the 200, it doesn't need a new housing, it's perfect the way it is. If it's surging then something else is at play causing it. The 200's never had a surge issue, it was only the 170. Try it at 8" and see what happens. I always ran my 200 at 9" and 9.5", but it's no longer up and going, and the 200 I just ran for another guy was best at 8".

This is the 170. When I left for work last night the water level was at 8.5" after a made an adjustment ti the sump. The flow control valve was 100% wide open, the bubbles were right at the top of the collection cup. When I got home the water level was at 8" and the bubbles were just above were the collection cup connects. I'm not going to touch anything and see what happens.

If I go 2 turns out from closed on the volute it overflows the collection cup, more turn out does the same thing. Closing the volute a little still has surging issues, bubble column never stays stable.

So I have had my Alpha Vertex 200 for about 3 months now. I had it dialed it pretty well. Strange thing is the wedge pipe never made much of a difference in water height, fully opened or closed (if I was doing it right?). But I was able to get proper skimmate from adjusting the white turn-able pump intake. After reading through a bit of this thread, it seems as though 2 full turns is the maximum you should go. Is this the case? If so, why? I had mine unscrewed multiple turns, 6+, before I got it dialed in. Is there something I am missing?

Also, on another note, I can now not get it to produce any skimmate (low water level), regardless of the open or closed wedge pipe or closed or multiple turns of the intake. I recently (2 weeks ago) added EcoBak biopellets. Could it be that there are just few nutrients in the tank now, that the skimmer is just under-performing? Or do I just need to clean my pump? (if so, what do you recommend? vinegar solution, etc?) I heard that biopellets may cause it to overflow, and it seems I am getting the opposite reaction. Sorry for all the questions, but like most folks, without a manual, I am kind of lost on all the ins and outs of this very expensive skimmer. Thanks in advance for any help.

*180 gal, moderately stocked, just added EcoBak and MicroBacter7, skimmer is operating in 9 inches of water, no ther additives other than 2 part Alk and Cal

Last edited:
If I go 2 turns out from closed on the volute it overflows the collection cup...

This means your wedge pipe is too far closed, or the skimmer is too deep in the sump. Take the skimmer to 8", and adjust the wedge pipe to get the operating water level in the skimmer inbetween the collar where the cup sits on the body, and the bottom of the collection cup. This is where you should see the transition of tiny bubbles to larger bubbles.

...more turn out does the same thing

The more you turn it out, the more air you get, the less water. Set the venturi at 2 full turns open, and don't touch it. See the above setting I mentioned first, and use that to adjust, then later down the road = a few weeks, you can start adjusting the venturi.

Closing the volute a little still has surging issues, bubble column never stays stable.

Any less than 2 turns closed, then you're starving the pump for air. This means the impeller is no longer mixing air and water and pushing that mixture, but rather turning into a "water pump" only. A pinwheel impeller is not designed to push water only, and the pump starts to surge. Keep it 2 full turns out.

This means your wedge pipe is too far closed, or the skimmer is too deep in the sump. Take the skimmer to 8", and adjust the wedge pipe to get the operating water level in the skimmer inbetween the collar where the cup sits on the body, and the bottom of the collection cup. This is where you should see the transition of tiny bubbles to larger bubbles.

The wedge pipe was fully open and it still overflowed. I have the skimmer in 8" of water now. Also I dont know if its a typo, my skimmer has the red dragon 1000, i see the skimmers for sale now have the 1500 for the alpha 170?

Thanks again for the help.

Well, getting the manual from Albert has helped a lot. I'm running the skimmer in 10" of water about 3 1/2 turns out on the volute. The skimmer seems stable for now, will make adjustments over the next few days.

Well, getting the manual from Albert has helped a lot. I'm running the skimmer in 10" of water about 3 1/2 turns out on the volute. The skimmer seems stable for now, will make adjustments over the next few days.

Is the manual for all models or only for the 170. I have been waiting for a manual for my 200 from the store I bought it from, but they have still yet to get it. If someone has the manual for the alpha 200 cone I would greatly appreciate a link or copy. Thanks

I've been using this skimmer (the alpha 200) for about a year now and it is still performing like a beast. Keeps my tank absolutely spotless and all the inhabitants happy! :) I would highly recommend purchasing one immediately. The only reason I would change skimmers is to actually get a smaller version as the one I have is so efficient and powerful, I need to turn it off at times to allow my corals some nutrients. Oh, I would also purchase a recirculating model as well if if became available. :)

Cheers,
John

Is the manual for all models or only for the 170. I have been waiting for a manual for my 200 from the store I bought it from, but they have still yet to get it. If someone has the manual for the alpha 200 cone I would greatly appreciate a link or copy. Thanks

There is a manual floating around? Anyone have a link?

If you pm me your email i can send it to you. It appears to cover all models of Alpha 170-300.

Back