Royal-Exclusiv / Vertex Cone Skimmer Club

Jeremy, I'm not seeing any of the Omega series on your site. Are they still available? I'm currently running an SWC 160 on an 90 Gallon SPS system. I was looking at the Omega 150. Its lightly stocked with 4 fish but plan on adding a few more. The 160 has been underwhelming with its production.

Unfortunately we are no longer carrying any of the Vertex line of skimmers, I'm sorry. Royal Exclusiv is no longer building any of the Alpha skimmers, and the only two Omega skimmers available (130 and 150) are built direct by Vertex.

I am using a Vertex Alpha 200 skimmer. The pump stopped running suddenly. The cleaning was long overdue so I figured it is just that. Got it out, let it soak in vinegar all day, gave a thorough cleaning and put it back. The pump is still not running. Can you help me find out what the issue is?

I am using a Vertex Alpha 200 skimmer. The pump stopped running suddenly. The cleaning was long overdue so I figured it is just that. Got it out, let it soak in vinegar all day, gave a thorough cleaning and put it back. The pump is still not running. Can you help me find out what the issue is?

actually if I tap the pump it seems to be run and then stops again.

Sounds like the motor block might be going. I have a 170 that gives me problems from time to time. Make sure the impeller spins freely and the bearing is seated properly in the block.

Sounds like the motor block might be going. I have a 170 that gives me problems from time to time. Make sure the impeller spins freely and the bearing is seated properly in the block.

When I spin the impeller, it rotates with what feels like a bump in between. Is this an issue?

That's normal for the impeller to feel like that, you're just feeling the magnet pull and resistance when spinning the impeller inside the block. I agree that it sounds like the block is going out. Shoot me an email and we can get you set up with a new block, jeremy@premiumaquatics.com.

Start it at 9" sump depth and the adjustable venturi at 2 full turns out from closed. This should get you really close on the setup.

I just hooked up my Alpha 170. Is there any point in running it on an aquarium that currently only has water in it (new setup in progress)? I knew there was a break-in period, so I thought I would get it started, but I'm wondering if it's not behaving correctly because there is nothing to skim. I have the water level correct, but the bubbles in the cone seem pretty large.

It also makes quite a pulsing noise as the air (I guess) enters the cone. Is this normal?

Thanks!

I just hooked up my Alpha 170. Is there any point in running it on an aquarium that currently only has water in it (new setup in progress)? I knew there was a break-in period, so I thought I would get it started, but I'm wondering if it's not behaving correctly because there is nothing to skim. I have the water level correct, but the bubbles in the cone seem pretty large.

It also makes quite a pulsing noise as the air (I guess) enters the cone. Is this normal?

Thanks!

I think I jumped the gun on my first concern about the bubbles. I had set it up to see how it worked before putting salt in the water. Now that I actually have saltwater, it looks right.

I am still hoping the pulsing noise will settle down. Does anyone have any experience with this?

^^^^ if you do not have any skimmate gets some and place it in your sump that will help with the break in, the skimmer only works correctly if they're is something to skim. The 170 is a powerful skimmer especially on a 75 gallon tank.

^^^^ if you do not have any skimmate gets some and place it in your sump that will help with the break in, the skimmer only works correctly if they're is something to skim. The 170 is a powerful skimmer especially on a 75 gallon tank.

Thanks for the advice. By the way, I do have another 25 or so gallons in the sump, so it should be sized about right. Live sand and rock should be going in next week :)

The pulsing will subside as it breaks in and slimes up.

Okay, thanks. So I guess it's also normal for the water level to suddenly rise and spill over on occasion during the break-in period? The pulsing sound has subsided, so this is all I'm dealing with now. I'm turning the wedge pipe a little before I go to bed or leave the house so that I don't end up with water splashing out on the floor. It will be fine for hours, and then all of a sudden I hear the top bouncing on the collection cup, and water is spilling out. (I don't really have anything to skim at the moment, but will change that within a week.)

It's because you're trying to dial the skimmer in to skim with no bioload right now. I'd suggest setting the water level really low in the skimmer, about 1" below the connection where the cup meets the body and just leave it there for now. The skimmer will continue to break-in, and any little bump in organics for the time being will result in the skimmer height somewhat increasing and maybe building a little bit of a foam head.

Back