Royal-Exclusiv / Vertex Cone Skimmer Club

joined the vertex club i guess got a in 250 hope it work good, any trouble with them anyone

Last edited:
i built an acrylic stand to run this 200 at 8.25" water level.

4 turns from closed on the venturi
60% closed on the wedge pipe

skimming like a beast again

A little concerned, I have to have the wedge pipe almost closed to get the skimmate into the collection cup. I did speak with Albert on Friday, he had me check the pinwheel assembly. It appears my pinwheel needs to be replaced. He had me check to see if the pinwheel turns turns on the magnet, as it should not. It does, but very stiff. He's sending me a new impeller assembly. Hopefully that will fix the issues.

I have been running my 250 for a couple of weeks now. It seems to be working but there is always water being drawn into the silicone airline no matter what adjustments I make. Is this supposed to happen?

I have an alpha 170 on my 120 now and it doing awesome. Will be upgrading to a 185 with 55 sump. Can the 170 handle the volume with a medium to heavy bioload??

nope and I know it wont I had a 150 wit ha 35 gal sump and it was heavy bioload and it couldnt skim worth a crap.. after the place told me that it would. go with the 200

I would keep what you have and see how it does. I have a 200 with a 155 display and wish I would have gone with the 170. the 200 is just to much for it. Its pretty well stocked as well.

Everything is dependent upon stock load. What doesn't work for one person's setup, may work wonderfully on someone elses setup. I would trust the 170 up to about 200g, maybe a little more if it's a light stock load.

We have to get out of the frame of mind with protein skimmers that bigger is better. This doesn't pertain to just the Alpha's either, we see it almost everyday with just about every skimmer brand out there. Hobbyists oversize their skimmer, then get poor results and blame it on the skimmer design itself. Size the skimmer appropriately to where you get consistent results all of the time.

So I have had this thing for over a year, and just noticed the screw that tightens down the water height adjustment pipe.....Haha.....

Jeremy,
The Red Dragon pump on Alpha200 and 250 is the same, but nozzle on the pump is different? Or totally different Red Dragon pump?

@ money kirk, I would stick with it. The 170 really is a strong skimmer, I think you would be just fine.

@ takayan, they are the exact same pump and impeller assembly, just two different lengths of internal nozzles.

Need some help to many pages to read . I have the 250 cone on a 400 gallon anemone system. I feed heavy. I cannot get skimmer to function proprely. Skimmer is in 10 " of water have had nozzle at 2 4 6 turns out results not good. Today running 1 turn out going to run for 24 hrs and check results.

Back