Ruby Red Dragonet Breeding Journal

Sounds hopeful. :) My green male Dragonet recently started eating frozen food. And now he is eating live black worms. Silly guy. I never thought he would. And never encouraged him either. He has plenty of pods and I feed newly hatched brine shrimp daily also.

I sure hope these ones make it for you! :)

Shelley

Well they made it to last night but this morning I didn't see any in there. I'll look again this evening but looks like back to day 1 as I have eggs hatching this evening.

Updates.

Starvation looks like just under 2 days.

They are spawning regular and being very busy trying to reestablish my phyto and copepod cultures just been putting the larva anyplace that looks good. I have nanno in all my cultures and just when I think I have tetra or iso re-established the damn nanno shows back up.

I have a tisbe culture, apocyclops and some euterpina. I have a small tisbe tank and it has lots of other things showing up in there like euclids, eupolotes, and some things not even sure of. One thing looks like a very small rotifer.

I threw yesterdays larva in there didn't bother to acclimate so I thought they would probably die of shock (and I think the adults tisbe's sometimes attack the larva). But today they are still alive so we are at 24 hours post hatch. I'm going to try to get some iso in with the nanno and up the tisbe count. Hopefully this won't bother them and they'll make it past day 7 (my current record).

If not there is more eggs in a cup as we speak..........

These multitude of larva are soon going to be seahorse food. So at least then I should get some babies.

OMG:bounce2: OMG:bounce2: OMG:bounce2:

I didn't see any larva so I thought they had died. Tonight I saw three. I don't know for sure but I think they are 8 days post hatch and they are starting to turn red/orange. have black eyes which I know is a little older based on previous experience and the tank still has tons of pods in there.

Now the conundrum, I was looking at the tank because I felt it was getting too green (nanno) and I was going to check the salinty (which I do each weekend and adjust). Do I touch anything? do I thin it out a little by adding water? it has a really weak light on it seems like they'd need alittle more to hunt with it being so dark green.

:bounce2:

My hubby took about 100 pictures to try and get a good one.

fantastic...... i seriously got goosebumps.....
well done kiz.... there's gotta be an rc award for this.. hard work and perseverance pays off.
you're an inspiration.

fantastic...... i seriously got goosebumps.....
well done kiz.... there's gotta be an rc award for this.. hard work and perseverance pays off.
you're an inspiration.

LOL I don't think RC does awards except Tank of the month (which I'll never get)

But seeing them when I didn't know they were in there (I had actually just hoped as a wish never expected it.) It was an early Christmas present.

Of course today I couldn't see them again.

I so hope they are there still. And if the salinity is to high I think the right attitude would be to adjust it more than once a week in the future. So you do not get to this point again. Because you will, and even longer next time! :celeb3: They are so cool looking!

So exciting. Now I wish I could breed my female spotted mandarin with my green one. They are always courting! :spin3:

But no, I will just live it through your post! :beer:

Shelley

I so hope they are there still. And if the salinity is to high I think the right attitude would be to adjust it more than once a week in the future. So you do not get to this point again. Because you will, and even longer next time! :celeb3: They are so cool looking!

That would be the right attitude to get it done. Had I known I they were in there I might have done that. But really I'm just too busy with too many small containers of crap laying around.

In addition to the 3 regular tanks. I have a bucket of pods, a square container with amphipods, 3 gallon containers of apocyclops, 2 of euterpine, 1 of tisbe/mixed. 8 bottles of phyto. a 1 1/2 gallon quarantine container for my seahorse.

and a daughter in school and looking at colleges (but not organized so needs attention). 20 chickens. a dog. 3 cats. a butterfly garden. a hubby and I teach school so I have night phone calls, grading, planning, test making. Normal chores like occasionally making dinner, mowing the lawn and I tend to be on the lazy side. so..... I usually adjust the not ATO stuff once a week.

Can't wait til I can quit and do this full time in like a hundred years. Right now it is just a hobby. I couldn't see any yesterday or this morning so I added eggs to the tisbe tank (now salinity adjusted) and I'll keep an eye on the salinity every 2 days since I know there are eggs in there.

On another forum the starvation is pegged at 6-7 days so maybe I'm not making it out of starvation. Maybe mine are being killed by bacteria or something. Next batch of eggs I'm going to do another run at starvation but I"m going to put some hydrogen peroxide in the water that is first collect and then use the microscope to check development and see if I can pin starvation at 2 days or come up with a different reason why they are making it to 7 days. That batch should be tonight. Kathy has made it to like 17 days so now I have a goal. She used Parvo's I really need to figure out how to keep my iso from getting contaminated though that will have to wait til after I get my Barbouri's out of quarantine and into their new tank.

Funny how you and I seem to have so many things keep us busy. I so understand. I hatch live brine shrimp daily, keep black worms in my laundry room and numerous other things for this addiction. :spin1: Good luck with the new batch. I really was hoping the others were still alive.

Shelley

Keep it up! The color of those looks just like Kathy's. Can't wait to see someone get them to settlement. And the set & forget technique (even if by accident) may be the way to get there. I sometimes think I do more harm by trying to fiddle with things too much.

Well I have just haven't had time to fool with them. My girls are still very gravid and spawn regular. My pods crashed and all my algae is contaminated with nanno so when I get the chance I have to restart the pods and the algae.

Back