Rusting Probe

fishkeeprian

Hi,

I have an external temp control for my heater, I have noticed that the end of the probe has started rusting. I think it is stainless steel on the end, will this cause any issues in my tank?

Thanks Ian

Last edited:
Hi,

I have an external temp control for my heater, I have noticed that the end of the probe has started rusting. I think it is stainless steel on the end, will this cause any issues in my tank?

Thanks Ian

Not all stainless is created equal. Some stainless isn't suitable for salt water and will rust. If you are using a cheap heater controller, that likely explains it. Most of the cheap controllers aren't designed for salt water.

Temp probes are not magnetic and will not attract GFO like a pump motor will. As has been said, not all stainless is saltwater safe.

Think he meant GFO is basically rust..
Other member stated you don't want rust in your tank..
But GFO = rust

Not all stainless is created equal. Some stainless isn't suitable for salt water and will rust. If you are using a cheap heater controller, that likely explains it. Most of the cheap controllers aren't designed for salt water.
Hi its this one what do you think, i have read people dipping the probe in silicone.www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B018K82UQU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479159427&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=inkbird+itc-308&dpPl=1&dpID=41DDkOS9WHL&ref=plSrch

Its fine.. the stainless they use on those lasts a LONG time before any signs of rust..
Mine is 8+ years old now with no visible rust at all.. looks as clean as the day I got it..

No worries..

I have broken glass thermometers and had the steal shot that weighs them down fall into my sand, only to find them years later later with sand stuck to them all rusty. No worries

Back