Salt Water Mixing Stations Let's See Them

Looks great!I just got my supplies in and am waiting on a few things in the mail.

Has anyone here used a bulkhead on the bottom of a brute can instead of a uniseal? I bought two bulkheads and didnt know if i should silicone around them on the inside to prevent water leakage?

[B said:
Has anyone here used a bulkhead on the bottom of a brute can instead of a uniseal? I bought two bulkheads and didnt know if i should silicone around them on the inside to prevent water leakage?[/B]

I used to use Brutes and both had bulkheads on the bottoms, no silicone and no leaks.

I used to use Brutes and both had bulkheads on the bottoms, no silicone and no leaks.

Great thanks.

Got the bulkheads put in tonight. One of the holes had a slight chunk taken out that was not in the circle. The gaskets cover it but i put some silicone on it anyway. I also initially overtightened the bulkhead. :lol They other container went really well and did not need to have the silicone. Looks like worst case I just have to get another bulkhead.

Working on a mixing station myself. Any recommendations for a pump? It will need to move water about 60-70ft from my saltwater holding tank to the sump. Was looking at the PanWorld pumps, but am willing to consider anything as long as it can make the distance. Most of the distance is horizontal, it will only need to go about 4-6ft vertical.

Working on a mixing station myself. Any recommendations for a pump? It will need to move water about 60-70ft from my saltwater holding tank to the sump. Was looking at the PanWorld pumps, but am willing to consider anything as long as it can make the distance. Most of the distance is horizontal, it will only need to go about 4-6ft vertical.

I use an Eheim 1260 and move water basically the same distance. Works well though my tank is small and only do a 5G WC at a time.

The danner pumps are what everyone here recommends.
Youre going to need to look at head height and such to figure out how far / high it would pump.

Nothing too fancy, but it gets the job done. I don't have a utility room or garage, so my setup needed to be simple and look neat...although it is looking pretty cluttered at the moment lol

image.jpg

All but the smallest couple models are internal or external.

Think I'm still leaning towards a PanWorld. The maximum head of the 200 PS is 39ft, so I don't have much worry of making the distance. I'm sure I'll end up with more elbows than I'd like also.

The inlet and outlet are 1". Is there any reason to make the pipe larger/smaller going from the pump to my display ~70ft away? Or just stick to 1" pvc?

Think I'm still leaning towards a PanWorld. The maximum head of the 200 PS is 39ft, so I don't have much worry of making the distance. I'm sure I'll end up with more elbows than I'd like also.

The inlet and outlet are 1". Is there any reason to make the pipe larger/smaller going from the pump to my display ~70ft away? Or just stick to 1" pvc?

I see no reason why you would change the pipe size.

You could go down to a smaller pipe diameter but that will increase the flow rate.

FWIW…I go from the 1” external pump outlet down to a 5/8” garden hose and pump about 35-40’ to my display. Just did a 25g change last night and it took about 5 to 6 minutes to replenish the water from the pump/reservoir . I use an old Little Giant 4MDQX I already had. I wish I could run a permanent line but I’m on a slab and too big to fit in the attic in the area of my display!

You could go down to a smaller pipe diameter but that will increase the flow rate.

No it won't! Smaller diameter means more resistance, measured in head. That will decrease flow.

If you want to increase flow make the pipe diameter larger than the pump fittings.

Yeah, PRESSURE would increase with smaller diameter, but not necessarily flow rate, depending on head height.

Salt Water Mixing Stations Let's See Them

Yeah, PRESSURE would increase with smaller diameter, but not necessarily flow rate, depending on head height.

I wish the people who designed the frac equipment i work on would understand this.

I am trying to figure out what pump to use on mine that has been setup and running now for a while. It has a sycra 5 silent on it and it leaks if I cut it off. So i have been running my mixing pump non stop for months and months.

I had it programmed to run once an hour for like 10 mins but as mentioned it leaks when its not running. I have tried everything with no luck so I gave up and just let it run all the time keeping the water mixed.

I dont want to spend a ton on a pump either but need to have something that I can let the APEX run.

couple of questions for this topic. i currently use 2 20 gallon brutes in my basement and carry water upstairs as needed for my 29g biocube. i am planning a 120g build and I want to automate things more so i can do daily small water changes. I was looking at those clear(ish) roto mold tanks but everywhere i see online is over $100 shipping. any ideas of where to get such tanks without shipping costs? i live in maryland so I am not sure if anyone knows of any stores where they can be purchased. I don't mind spending $200 on two tanks but I have a general rule of thumb never to buy something that costs even half as much as the item to ship it, let alone more than the item itself. so that was my first question.

second question. as i said, i live in maryland where we have hot summers and sometimes cold winters. i was hoping to store both RODI and NSW containers in my garage which is right on the other side of the wall from our mud room where my RODI system will be and also right next to where the new tank will be. i was hoping to be able to store the water in the garage and then pump NSW to the tank daily after draining from the sump to the laundry tub below my RODI system. would having heaters in both stoarge tanks be enough to keep things working when the garage gets below freezing? has anyone done this?

Back