Salt Water Mixing Stations Let's See Them

e1f588debab450c00ddebfb5bf09f06f.jpg

I got 3 of these for $20 a piece from a guy that used them to store pickles and food- Try CL

Yea there is a place like 30min from me that has them for 25 a piece. Then I have to pic them up. Don't have a truck.
They ain't fitting in my car. These were delivered on my porch. Guess you have to pay for convenience.

Here's my setup. Top is fresh water which drains into bottom for mixing. Sure makes life much easier.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
It sure is. Nice pull. There worth every penny. Super quite. Can be controlled by a smart phone and very easy to install by yourself.

I have my RODI unit on order.
I bought extra parts and fittings to make this work for the house, tank and beer making.
I already own a 55gal pickle drum.
I was just planning on filling with RODI, dump in salt and let it sit until needed.
I really don't want to drill the tank.

Any reason I can't drop a pump down in the drum and push it up to recirc?
Or valve it to push it up over the top?

I dont understand the need for an RODI storage and salt storage.

Guess it depends on your needs. I make 55 gallons of Rodi and 55 gallons of salt at the same time.

Rodi used for top off and salt used for auto water change. Or before i went auto it was still used for water change using jugs

did u make that metal stand looks great, I need one of those!

Thanks. Yes I welded it up myself.

On a side note. I see people saying not to let mixed saltwater sit for long periods of time unless it is air tight. How about freshly filtered plain RO/DI water. Is it safe for that to sit around awhile before putting into a top off container. Generally I filter around 20 gallons to sit at the ready to be placed in a top off container. What is too long for that to be sitting around in a container that is not completely air tight?

Thanks. Yes I welded it up myself.

On a side note. I see people saying not to let mixed saltwater sit for long periods of time unless it is air tight. How about freshly filtered plain RO/DI water. Is it safe for that to sit around awhile before putting into a top off container. Generally I filter around 20 gallons to sit at the ready to be placed in a top off container. What is too long for that to be sitting around in a container that is not completely air tight?

Its water. As long as you arent introducing stuff (bacteria / food / organics) into the water it will be fine. RODI is as clean as you can get. A lid would suffice.

Im not convinced about the saltwater not being able to sit either. Id like to hear the reasoning behind this.

I make up 110 gallons of rodi water each time. 55gallons is transfered to my saltwater tank the other 55 stays in the rodi tank.

I then mix in my salt and i am good to go. With that said the two tanks run low about the same time which is about 3weeks time. I then start the process all over again. Now i do have a pump on the saltwater side that comes on for 10 minutes once an hour to mix. I do not do anything on the rodi side. Both have screw on lids so dont think i am getting anything in the water.

I have not found any issues with my setup but maybe i am wrong.

I make up 110 gallons of rodi water each time. 55gallons is transfered to my saltwater tank the other 55 stays in the rodi tank.

I then mix in my salt and i am good to go. With that said the two tanks run low about the same time which is about 3weeks time. I then start the process all over again. Now i do have a pump on the saltwater side that comes on for 10 minutes once an hour to mix. I do not do anything on the rodi side. Both have screw on lids so dont think i am getting anything in the water.

I have not found any issues with my setup but maybe i am wrong.

what are you using to make your pump come on hourly? Apex or timer?

ok thanks, was trying to do the same without apex but can't find a timer for 24hrs.

Not easy to find but I've found them at Lowes/Home Depot, also available online at hydroponics stores, etc....generally they are the more expensive digital timers if you wan't fine down to the minute control or some of the mechanical ones which have 15 min or 30 min increments.

Some salt mixes have organics in them so they are not good to let sit for long periods. Other than that, others can be stored as RHF has explained.

Some salt mixes have organics in them so they are not good to let sit for long periods. Other than that, others can be stored as RHF has explained.

Additionally many of the "Reef" mixes that have elevated levels of minerals, Calc, Alk, should be avoided for storage for more than a few days as the extra just settles out and it's a waste of money and more work cleaning the bin out.

Sorry to get a little off topic from this thread, but I am trying to set up a Water Mixing Station too.

Need help on how to clean a newly purchased water tank I bought off Craiglist. Seller said it was "never used" for his carpet cleaning business but I'm a little suspicious. Bought it anyways since it was a good deal.

Is there a cleaning method / reef safe cleaning additive (i.e. vinegar) that will clean the inside well enough to be aquarium safe?

And after cleaning, would a Reef Test Kit detect any "chemical residue"?

Don't know if I'm being too paranoid but wanted to see if anyone had more knowledge in this area. Thanks!

34b7ea2b5282e40f3f7a7e2030ce0096.jpg

e2a124214e89ebf483785a19120f753e.jpg

Additionally many of the "Reef" mixes that have elevated levels of minerals, Calc, Alk, should be avoided for storage for more than a few days as the extra just settles out and it's a waste of money and more work cleaning the bin out.

If it's dissolved at a normal specific gravity that we would use for our aquariums then the only way anything will settle out is if Alk is high and starts to precipitate out the calcium carbonate. Higher Mg will help reduce that chance as well as keeping the temperatures cooler (don't run a heater).

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/

Organics like in many Reef salts are not good to be stored for longer periods of time.

Back