Sand Sifting Star Question

emcmilla

So, I just bought 2 sandsifting stars from my LFS. They suggested them because I am having an outbreak of cyano or dino and figured they would help move the sandbed to prevent dead areas. In any event, I've read about how they eat things in the LS. What else can I feed them??

Sand sifting stars eat nothing but the things in the live sand. They'll strip your sandbed bare and then starve. Not good tank residents. Return them and add nassarius snails instead, the snails move sand but will eat gunk and leftovers.

:headwally:we also got some of those snails too. Should I just return the starfish and get a few more of the snails then? I was wondering about it but they said it would help with move sand around....

Sand sifting stars eat nothing but the things in the live sand. They'll strip your sandbed bare and then starve. Not good tank residents. Return them and add nassarius snails instead, the snails move sand but will eat gunk and leftovers.

This.

Return the starfish, don't take any more advice from that LFS, get more of those snails, and just wait for the algae to pass. New tanks usually have outbreaks like that. If it's not a new tank, you may have nutrient issues.

Back