Sand starting to "clump"

TracyZeuner

I dont know if this is the right forum but I just noticed today that some of my sand is "climping", kinda like cat litter. I did raise my alk in the past 2 weeks from 9.0 to about 10.0. is this the problem? Is it bad that my sand is doing this?

In some tanks, the sand does tend to clump. I'd pull out the clumped portions and work from there. The exact cause of clumping isn't known, at least to me. I'd just replace the sand.

Maybe this?

Some bacteria also secrete a exterior covering called a "glycocalyx." These glycocalices are made of a hard sugar-like material similar in consistency to rock candy. Rapid bacterial growth may produce so enough of this material to glue sediments together. These sediment lumps may be glued so tightly together that hammering is needed to break them apart. In much reef literature, these lumps are said to be caused by calcium carbonate or calcium phosphate precipitation. Such mineral precipitation is rare; if a small sediment lump is placed in a weak solution of household chlorine bleach, it breaks down to the component sediment grains in a short time. If the lumps were formed from the calcium salts, they would not dissociate in the bleach.

Source: http://www.ronshimek.com/Deep Sand Beds.htm

Same thing happend to me when I had a sand bed. If you take the sand out, don't replace it! Seriously I went BB due to problems with my sand bed and have had zero problems since.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9825747#post9825747 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TracyZeuner
So its not a chemical reaction to raising the alk?

I can't argue one way or the other. I noticed mine turned into a brick shortly after I increased the amount of Kalk I was dosing.

My sand use to do that, but it no longer does. I don't know why it stopped but it did. Might want give it some time and see if it stops.

I had the same problem in my fuge. I don't know if this solves the problem but I put both my Ca reactor and kalk outputs to the return side of the fuge and added more sand.

Back