SC Aquariums Owners Thread

start of the stand!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 3
Nice woodworking skills, my compliments. The rest is nice and sanitary as well. The 66 gal tank using the provided sump is space challanged underneath, I will probably hard glue the union ball valves and check valve but use silicone tubing to connect to the sump, this will allow some flexability in moving things around.

Bill

The tank is in the house and has been cycling for a month now. No issues with the bulk heads at all. The single 1/2 return is more then enough as I'm not trying to use the return for flow! But even with my pump only half way up you can feel the movement at the other end of the tank. I've use durso drains forever with no issues and I make the out of 1 1/2 inch and neck it down to 1 inch right at the bulkhead. This makes them nice and quiet!

The tank is in the house and has been cycling for a month now. No issues with the bulk heads at all. The single 1/2 return is more then enough as I'm not trying to use the return for flow! But even with my pump only half way up you can feel the movement at the other end of the tank. I've use durso drains forever with no issues and I make the out of 1 1/2 inch and neck it down to 1 inch right at the bulkhead. This makes them nice and quiet!

Can you take a picture or explain that last part a little better? I'm following along as this will likely be my next tank, I'v drilled tanks before but would rather not.

I read, i think on Dorso's site to make them out of 1-1/2" and neck them down to 1" to make them quiet -thanks for the confirmation. Did you use the provided bulkheads?

Bill

I read, i think on Dorso's site to make them out of 1-1/2" and neck them down to 1" to make them quiet -thanks for the confirmation.

Bill

Yep works great! Just start out with a small hole for air intake and make it larger as needed.. 1/8" hole is as big as I've ever needed.

It is going to be tight, they did not offset the bulkhead holes to compensate the provided 1" durso is below the return line where it tees to go to the lock lines. It looks like if I want to upsize it and raise it closer to the top of the weir I will need to put in a couple of 45 or try to heat the pipe and form it. Also Durso recommends using sc26 1-1/4" pipe, wonder who sells it.

Bill

The height of the drain is just fine. 1 1/4 would work just fine. it will do the same concept. if you are using sc26 it has a thinner wall to the tubing so the inner diamiter is about the same as a 1 1/2 schdule 40

OceanWolf forgive me if I am thread jacking, but I was thinking if we keep our SC builds in one thread it may be more helpful to others if you disagree let me know and I will start a new thread. Postie forgive my ignorance, by dropping the durso down lower does that determine the water level in the weir? Does this effect the amount of water that returns to the sump in the event of powerless? Lastly do you run a check valve on your return lines.

Thanks
Bill

Bill, I agree. My intention was not creating a personal build thread. I lime the way the thread is going, we are sharing our experiences.

Onur

OceanWolf forgive me if I am thread jacking, but I was thinking if we keep our SC builds in one thread it may be more helpful to others if you disagree let me know and I will start a new thread. Postie forgive my ignorance, by dropping the durso down lower does that determine the water level in the weir? Does this effect the amount of water that returns to the sump in the event of powerless? Lastly do you run a check valve on your return lines.

Thanks
Bill

actually if you want less water to return to the sumpif the power shuts off you would want the drain higher! also remember that the return line will also syphon water back if the power shut off. to fix this drill a small hole below the water line so it will suck air and break the syphon. and no ignorance everybody had these questions at one point. I miself do not run check valves they add unnessisary head pressure restricting flow

Back