SC Aquariums Owners Thread

The reason I don't want T5 is because I want the shimmer effect, and you are right with regards to not wanting Metal halide due to the heat.

So basically I'm down to LED's I guess, so what are the main brands I should be looking into that are price efficient, but still effective?

What about the ReefBrite MH/LED dimmable hybrid? Heat and energy reduction, shimmer, and led/actinic benefit. Fit it with the Twinarc bulb, you get to prolong bulb life, with two firing elements per bulb.

Calling all 66 gallon owners, what lighting you running? Trying to decide on a 66 gallon or 36" length and lighting for each. One Radion work?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Well, I've completed my stand for $156.51 from Mernards, and I'd be happy to provide my receipt for Soulpatch. The stand was built 24" W x 24" D x 36" T using one 4'x8' sheet of .75" oak plywood and one 1" x 3" x 6' solid oak board for a cross member and toe kick. Used recessed, anti-slam hinges, cherry outdoor stain and sealer, and coated the inside with white appliance epoxy for waterproofing. After building this cabinet, I can without a doubt say one could easily build what is shipped from SCA for $100 and with ONE sheet of plywood. Happy building!

I snapped a quick picture on the way out of the house, I can take better ones if anyone would like.
52c20427-67dd-44a6-9cac-640b2123eaf3_zpswo3lxsir.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, that's assuming you can actually build something. Not everyone can color inside the lines, no matter how hard they try.

Of course, that's assuming you can actually build something. Not everyone can color inside the lines, no matter how hard they try.

I was always an eat the crayon kind of guy....:lolspin:

I will say though, I was inspired by some others like JayVIP and CafeReef, and if you're thinking about using the cable raceways in the stand, I highly recommend getting the 2" inch deep model. There's a lot of excess cable that I struggled with jamming in the 1" inch deep model.

Well, I've completed my stand for $156.51 from Mernards, and I'd be happy to provide my receipt for Soulpatch. The stand was built 24" W x 24" D x 36" T using one 4'x8' sheet of .75" oak plywood and one 1" x 3" x 6' solid oak board for a cross member and toe kick. Used recessed, anti-slam hinges, cherry outdoor stain and sealer, and coated the inside with white appliance epoxy for waterproofing. After building this cabinet, I can without a doubt say one could easily build what is shipped from SCA for $100 and with ONE sheet of plywood. Happy building!

I snapped a quick picture on the way out of the house, I can take better ones if anyone would like.
Um my last post was 150 to 200 for materials alone which is exactly where you are. You were slamming a 400 stand when that left 200 for time, labor, and shipping.

Congrats tou spent 150. How many hours and what was that worth to you? I would have used a smaller grain wood like a maple ir such personally but to each their own.

If you are going to call me out at least make sure what i said before hand. It looks decent so well done but you are exactly on the money for the material costs stated...

As for the cable track yes 2 to 3 inch units is where you want to be.

For my side project this weekend this was apex cabinet and calcium reactor setup finally.

d2420efe5bc9cb93772d069187e4ce68.jpg
eac2f788f446f6faac31b419f0292e7c.jpg
5480b014a53ee15012c97ae7db8bc4a0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Stand looks great man, good work

Soulpatch, that cabinet looks great. I want to do something similar but my setup is in my living room and live with a wife who has been very forgiving so far, I wonder if she'd let me do something similar haha. Calcium reactor is a beast.

All that pretty equipment and Jebao powerheads. The suckers push some water, but I can't stand the wires in the tank.

My wife would kill me with all that on the wall. Pretty easy to build that inside the side of the stand.

Soulpatch, that cabinet looks great. I want to do something similar but my setup is in my living room and live with a wife who has been very forgiving so far, I wonder if she'd let me do something similar haha. Calcium reactor is a beast.
It was going to be on cabinet sliders to slide behind the tank but its in my man cave and I didnt care once I got into it.

All that pretty equipment and Jebao powerheads. The suckers push some water, but I can't stand the wires in the tank.

My wife would kill me with all that on the wall. Pretty easy to build that inside the side of the stand.
It was inside the stand ona custom slide out panel but i needed more room for my calcium reactor and as such out it went. I really like it outside the stand as its easier to mess with things and connext the qt setups.

The jabeos are supplimental to the WAVS and a skimmer pump. I dont notice them in the tank as they are on back wall but then again the wavs have power cords as well. Id rather have the wores in the tank then outside like mps personally. Mever liled the looks of mps in that regard

Reading it now, sounds rude, didn't mean it like that, my bad. Looks nice and clean for being outside tank.

I didnt read it as such so all good. Plus we are on a forum of tens of thousands. We cant all agree all the time or else we would all do things the same way with the same gear. What fun is that???

Not to mention people saying WTH are you thinking has steered me in better directions over the past few years. Even with the calcium reactor setup Alanle and Slief both steered me to other gear then I was expecting to use and both were great recomendations...

Depends on what functions you want. There are some cheaper leds often referred to as "Chinese black boxes" that are eBay. You can also look at rapidled and Steveleds are another cheaper option. You might find some eco tech gen3s used as well. Just read up and ask questions and you'll be good to go.

I LOVE my RapidLED Corona units...growing some SPS on my frag rack and my output percentages are only in the 30's right now.

Just got my 24 inch 50G starfire cube in today. Looking at water movement, what is everyone using? I'm thinking about 2 Tunze 6040s with the controllers linked. Thoughts?

looks great!

TIME IS MONEY!!! I'm haveing my custem cherry finish cabinet built by SCA for $100, can't beat that they are experts at this, they do this all day long.

Back