Scandinavian / Japanese Style Reef Tank

Could you please describe the frame you are using for the base? It appears from the pictures to be a type of light aluminum with plastic connectors. I am concerned that this would not have the strength or lateral stability to hold up a filled tank.

Dave.M

Hi Dave,

This is correct. The stand is made of light aluminium with plastic connectors. You are also correct with your worries - have had the same as well but what will happen is that the back wall of the cabinet will be built into the cabinet and it will be part of the stand itself. This way the structure will be reenforced against any structural twisting. Once it will be built I will take pictures and post them.

Best regards,
Dino

Dino,
Why did you put the overflow in the position you chose? Why not in a corner or along the back for example.

Hi Stacie,

The thinking points behind this decision were:

"Open" aquascaping

No physical obstacled between the reef and the aquarium walls.Free standing column and nothing attached to the aquarium walls

Explore

By designing the overflow in this rectangular shape and positioning it also 2/3 from left side we want to achieve the need of exploring. There are some beautiful aquariums where the viewer gets the picture with a glance from the front. In our fish tank with 3 visible sides we want the viewer to go closer to it and by changing viewing ankle then something new reveals. There will be rocks glued on the overflow to give even further a 3D feeling.

To be honest above sounds good on a planning phase but need to wait until everything is in place and then we will know if we achieved the desired goals.

Warm regards,
Dino

:smurf:

Dino,
Excellent explanation! I love to look at my tank from the side to get a "long" look down the length of tank. I look forward to your next update.

Beautiful, detailed build so far. I love the minimalist aquascaping plan. Look forward to seeing it come together.

Dino,
Excellent explanation! I love to look at my tank from the side to get a "long" look down the length of tank. I look forward to your next update.

Great looking build! This is an inspiration to many of us.

Thanks for sharing :)

Thank you all for your nice words. I slowly started the aquascaping of the overflow box ... but there is longgggg way to go.
Started to cover the cracks where the decorative plates meet. The idea was to "disturb" the eveness of the surface creating hidden areas and interesting for the viewer eyes scenery

And respecting the saying "one picture equals 1000 words" here you go:

IMG_4981-1.jpg

IMG_4988.jpg

IMG_4995.jpg

IMG_5002-2.jpg

IMG_5003.jpg

IMG_5004.jpg

IMG_5006-2.jpg

IMG_5007.jpg

Side view (from right hand side looking the left hand side)
IMG_5008.jpg

Tomorrow will finish with the overflow and start with the columns.

Thank you for reading the update and best wishes from the heart of Scandinavia

Dino

Last edited:
I like you design inspiration. It is nice to see people doing something "outside the box"!

That looks GREAT! Your overflow is going to simply "vanish" into the scape. Outstanding work :)

Neat "eurostyle" mate, tagging along!

Your support makes me want to invest even more time in the project and has contributed to a happy Dino :bounce3:

Today I worked a bit more with the aquascaping, finished the "cover up" of the overflow and some of the free standing columns. One thing that we had in mind while putting up the columns is that parts of it would easily be removed in the case of us wanting to place a coral instead of a rock without adding up "volume" in the tank

So here is the result of todays work:

IMG_5017.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

IMG_5025.jpg

I am not 100% sure concerning the farmost right column - there is something that bothers me and I will work more tomorrow with it. However seeing the initial design and the aquascaping of today we are pretty satisfied with the result and that we keep on being on the original track.

Tank20with20rocks20new.jpg

IMG_5025.jpg

Thank you for reading the update and wishing you all a wonderful evening wherever you are around the world.

Warm regards,
Dino
:beer:

Loving that overflow. I was doubtful at first but now that I see the rock on it, it looks great! Very clean aquascape. :beer:

Looking great. I was worried about the overflow looking unnatural, but you have tied it into the rock scape very well.

This is the flimsiest tank stand by far that I've ever seen.
I hope your reinforcements plans are something spectacular because from where I'm sitting this tank is going down for sure.
There is also a very high risk of the bottom cracking because the bottom plate is to thin and will bend as well as the support.

I'd hate to see your floors and tank get ruined because of something that looks like an awful stand.

This is the flimsiest tank stand by far that I've ever seen.
I hope your reinforcements plans are something spectacular because from where I'm sitting this tank is going down for sure.
There is also a very high risk of the bottom cracking because the bottom plate is to thin and will bend as well as the support.

I'd hate to see your floors and tank get ruined because of something that looks like an awful stand.

Godan daginn DNA,

I am actually in your wonderful country tonight in the city of Kopavogur :wavehand:

Thank you very much for your reply. I did have similar concerns to yours and have been maybe making myself unpopular at times with the guy who is building it, by constantly asking about the stability. He has 30 years of experience building fish tanks in Denmark and has been using the same technic without anyone colapsing (hopefully I wont be the first :sad2:)

I am attaching some other tanks he has built which are similar or bigger than mine and have been having no problems.

500L
500L.jpg

IMG_5058.jpg

760L
760L.jpg

1200L
1200L.jpg

Warm regards from the Motherland (Iceland)
:rolleyes:
Dino

Last edited:
Loving that overflow. I was doubtful at first but now that I see the rock on it, it looks great! Very clean aquascape. :beer:

Wow, Very nice setup! Excited for what is to come :p

Wow, looking great. Love the aquascape.

Looking great. I was worried about the overflow looking unnatural, but you have tied it into the rock scape very well.

Thank you all for taking your time and replying to the update.

Update:

Then return pump has been connected and a couple of more equipment arrived:

Tunze RETURN PUMP 1073.02
IMG_5032.jpg

TEC DOSING PUMP
IMG_5035.jpg

Aquascaping if nearly completed. We decided that the right hand side column should be changed and came up with a design that fulfils our vision. Although the stand for the RADION lamps is not yet here, I placed the 3 set of RADION on top to get a feeling of how the aquascaping looks when lit.

IMG_5040.jpg

IMG_5041.jpg

IMG_5044.jpg

IMG_5045.jpg

IMG_5046.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

IMG_5049.jpg

Thank you for reading the update and wishing you all a wonderful Saturday night

Warm regards from Copenhagen,
Dino

The design is breathtaking. Absolute perfectionism and eye candy, even with no water in. Greetings from slovakia, thumbs up. :)

Back