Scandinavian / Japanese Style Reef Tank

I love the design, but what I love about reef tanks is how different they look once they have a bunch of corals growing in there. It will be interesting to see how yours grows out.

The design is breathtaking. Absolute perfectionism and eye candy, even with no water in. Greetings from slovakia, thumbs up. :)

Looks amazing!! Very sleek aquascape.

I love the design, but what I love about reef tanks is how different they look once they have a bunch of corals growing in there. It will be interesting to see how yours grows out.

Thank you Kolakao, Supporeefer and Anbosu for your feedback. I really appreciate your comments.

So here comes a small update on the progress:

PILLAR
In order not to scratch the bottom of the tank by the existing rocks we put silicon at the bottom and let it sit on newspaper. Once the silicon will dry we will pull the newspapers out and the columns will have a steady rubber foot to sit on. This way if we want to move around the rocks once the tank is set up we dont risk scratching the bottom surface.

IMG_5056.jpg

IMG_5058-1.jpg

CIRCULATION
- On the backside of the overflow there are 8 exit tubes for the Ocean Motion circulation system:

a. Two will be glued to the bottom of the tank and will go left from the overflow
b. two will be glued on the bottom of the tank and will go right from the overflow and the remaining
IMG_5065.jpg

c. 4 will have various angles approximately in the mid height of the overflow.

a & b are connected with PVC tubing and the exits will be cascaded into rocks (one of our requirements is no visible pumps)

IMG_5061.jpg

All piping up from the back of the overflow will be covered by stones

The 4 pipes that sit up in the middle of will be covered in silicone and rolled in crushed stone so they fall right into the stones around.
IMG_5071.jpg

IMG_5069.jpg

IMG_5072.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

- Ocean Motions main body will sit outside the aquarium.

We also received the wire for hanging the Radion lights.

IMG_5052.jpg

Thank you for reading the update and wishing you all a great evening from Denmark

Warm regards,
Dino

You are doing beautiful work here:thumbsup:

Thanks Todd Rose :)

Today we were killing some time so my partner did a few more illustrations of how the tank would look ready and full of fishes and corals. Guess we start becoming a bit impatient :bounce3:

reef20tank20with20corals.jpg

Reef20tank20in20living20room.jpg

Thanks DBlite :)

And here comes an update on the progress:

Last night:

- There were brackets installed in the upper cabinet for the Radio Lights
- The white glossy cabinets arrived
- PVC hoses in the bottoms of the aquarium were glued firmly.
- A few more stones were placed on the overflow back to hide the visible piping.

Here are some photos of the progress. Tried just for fun to throw one of the plates in front of the aquarium (it is the mat one and not glossy which really should sit at the back), but just wanted to get a feeling and so far so good

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

I also think that the tank sitting directly on wood isn´t a good idea !!

Cross your finger, beside that nice setup.

I also think that the tank sitting directly on wood isn´t a good idea !!

Cross your finger, beside that nice setup.

Hola sajon!

Thanks for your message. What are your main worries with the tank sitting directly on wood?

Best regards from Denmark
Dino

The smallest flex of that wooden sheet due to accidental spills or humdid absorption may cause the bottom to crack.

Hello Dino, very nice results! The project continue to be neat and stylish.
And for the bottom like sajon says may occur in some crack at the bottom due to difference material's elasticity, but i see a sheet of white foam at the bottom or am i wrong?

The smallest flex of that wooden sheet due to accidental spills or humdid absorption may cause the bottom to crack.

Hello Dino, very nice results! The project continue to be neat and stylish.
And for the bottom like sajon says may occur in some crack at the bottom due to difference material's elasticity, but i see a sheet of white foam at the bottom or am i wrong?

Hello Sajon and Octoreef,

Now I got it and totally see your point. Octoreef you are right there is an isolation styrofoam sheet placed between the tank and the wood and is approximately 0.7cm thick.

Octoreef thank you for your positive feedback. It is nice to see it coming together slowly but steadily. By the end of this week we will have everything finished and early next week water gets in.

Thank you for reading my update and wishes for a goodnight from the heart of Scandinavia.

:wavehand:
Dino

Keeping an eye on this thread, so far it looks really promising. I cant wait to see the tank filled with water and livestock:)

Last edited:
have to subscribe to see where this is going! great build - really like your plan, thanks for the detailed documentation!

greetings martin

Keeping an eye on this thread, so far it looks really promising. I cant wait to see the tank filled with water and livestock:)

Thanks fellow Scandinavian Rogerh for your positive comments.
Hopefully in 2 weeks time we will have some action going :thumbsup:

All the best!
Dino

have to subscribe to see where this is going! great build - really like your plan, thanks for the detailed documentation!

greetings martin

Thanks Martin for taking your time and giving me feedback. Reef Central is a place of people sharing the same passion and if i can be of any help by being descriptive, then thats what I should do :beer:

Greetings to Austria from Denmark and stay tuned for more updates

You did an amazing job hiding your spa tubing! very nice :)

Thanks Pushwood - It has not been an easy task but at the end - we are very happy with the result. It has proven to be an asset to have the fishtank for the aquascaping for at least a week without water. It takes time to plan, execute take a break come back, build all over again, destroy, get frustrated, and get back to work but the end destination worths the trip.

During this process we learned to be very patient. In theory aquascaping can finish in one day but you have to live with those choices you made that day for maybe the next 5 years. On the other hand if you take your time you can make the right choices without stress and pressure, sleep on it and then come back with new and better idea. Time is an investment when planning the aquascaping.

Warm regards,
:fish2:
Dino

Back