Scarus Quoyi Parrotfish

ca1ore

Grizzled & Cynical
My LFS has stunning 5" terminal male - sorely tempted.

Would appreciate input from folks who HAVE KEPT this fish in a mixed reef tank. I am aware of how big this fish can get, but unsure of its reef safeness. LA has it's as 'with caution', though that's not terribly helpful.

Diver's Den also had one recently and I saw one on a Facebook selling page last night. I too am sorely tempted. Do you know how they do with wrasses? Are they aggressive at all?

my lfs has some. he said they only eat nori or won't eat.
People on the forum say they eat pellets.

Lfs has one in his reef. No problems

calore,
Mine is in with a female bird wrasse and a much smaller mystery wrasse. No aggression at all but I only added the parrot a month ago. The parrot seems to be the dominant fish.
Myles

Simon, Mine didn't touch any corals when I had one in my old 220g. No Sps,Lps or softies were "picked" at ever. They are great fish, all seem to prefer pellets over any other foods

I have had 2 zero issues with any corals. They are very busy fish that for the most part ignore the other tank inhabitants and graze on live rock nonstop.

Those seem to be hard to keep in stock lately ... or maybe always! Divers Den had one pop up just about every day last week (two on Friday!) and they never lasted more than an hour or three. Some were gone pretty much instantly!

I've never kept them, (I've only ever seen one, at Michael's NYAquatic) but love the coloration, the fact that it's a _parrotfish_ in a _reef tank_!, and have heard overwhelmingly good things about them. DMorty started a thread in 2013 that ran a few years, (I think the last posts are earlier this year) and contains just about everything you could want to know about experiences with the fish.

Once I put this 220 project together, I'll likely be looking for one as well. I hope you find one right quickly, in good health and at a reasonable price!

~Bruce

My bad, totally missed that thread - understandable, it's only 15 pages .... oy

Guess I know what you're going to be doing with some of your spare time!

I'm going to be playing with silicone, baffles, and PVC piping. (>_<)

The only parrotfish I've seen locally lately was a princess parrot (grey with stripes, and a tad sad-looking) at the place up in Branford. I figure you're lucky to even _see_ one of these guys!

I've asked about S. quoyi at a couple of LFS, they either looked at me like I had two heads (and all three were purple...) or ran straight to their internet-capable device.

~Bruce

Simon, Mine didn't touch any corals when I had one in my old 220g. No Sps,Lps or softies were "picked" at ever. They are great fish, all seem to prefer pellets over any other foods

Do you still have yours? I know one of you guys were discussing the loss of color after some time in captivity.

Back