Schedule 40 to Schedule 80 questions.

MondoBongo

Obligate Feeder Obsessed
has anyone converted to schedule 80 bulkheads in a schedule 40 hole by downsizing the bulkhead instead of re-drilling?

i have a new tank that has two corner overflows, each overflow is drilled for a 1" drain line, and a 3/4" return line.

i was thinking of replacing the bulkheads with a 3/4" and 1/2" schedule 80 respectively, instead of the normal schedule 40 ones, making them all drains, and running the return plumbing up the back and over the top.

looking at some measurements from BRS, a 1" sch40 fitting requires a 45mm hole, while the 3/4" sch80 needs only a 42mm hole. so i would essentially have an additional 3mm in the bulkhead hole diameter.

it looks like the 1/2" sch80 bulkhead uses a 35mm hole, which is the same as the 3/4" sch40 it would be replacing, so that should be OK.

anyone done this? i really despise schedule 40 bulkheads.

schedule 40 is junk, they're always hard to get a good seal on, and i don't want to deal with the aggravation.

if money were no object i would have had a custom tank made and drilled with schedule 80 to begin with, but sadly that's not an option right now.

also: because it's my tank and i want to. i've converted all the schedule 40 bulkheads in my acrylic overflows to schedule 80, and it makes life much better. so there is much to be gained. :)

You are welcomed to, a 3mm gap won't be an issue. Just the major downside to the significantly reduced flow that you'll get from schedule 80 1/2" bulkhead. it's about 1/3rd the flow of 3/4"

thanks SGT York.

i'm hoping that by utilizing all 4 drill holes as drains, and then running the return over the top, i can offset the drain amount enough to make it worthwhile. then that way i more or less have two primary drains with the 3/4" and two emergency drains with the 1/2".

sort of a ghetto bean animal setup.

the tank is a 150, so i'm considering running about 750GPH return pump (minus head loss) for my turnover.

You the smaller of your drains as the primarys. Use the bigger ones for the emergency. That way if you have a clog in the mains, the emergency can handle the flow.

Back