Schedule 40 vs Schedule 80

sleepydoc

Team RC
I've seen many people who say they want to use schedule 80 plumbing because it's 'beefier' or stronger.

I just got back from a family vacation and while in line to ride a water slide with the kids I noticed the plumbing - 12" schedule 40 PVC. This was a pipe that ran 4 stories vertical, carrying thousands of gallons per minute. It was, of course, properly constructed and properly supported, but none the less the pressures on this system easily dwarf anything we deal with.

Most people know this already, but this struck me as a very clear example of how schedule 80 PVC is completely unnecessary in our hobby (unless you are buying it for appearance/color)

For what we do Thin wall is fine . I have used it a lot.. and that 12inch 4 story vertical run prob has less pressure then one might think as its more then likely not Restricted at the top.

I used 80 in my Garage for Air tools only because things tend to get leaned against it as there is not enough room out there.

You can buy sch40 in any color you want... you only need sch20 though...sch80 is completely unnecessary though... the inner diameter of sch80 is very restrictive

Although the difference may be minimal, the thicker Sch80 walls also means reduced ID and lower flow. I can also say from personal experience that Sch80 fittings are no better at resisting cracking (from using too much tape) than Sch40. And yes I am aware not to use tape now, just didn't know that back then :lol:

For what we do Thin wall is fine . I have used it a lot.. and that 12inch 4 story vertical run prob has less pressure then one might think as its more then likely not Restricted at the top.

I used 80 in my Garage for Air tools only because things tend to get leaned against it as there is not enough room out there.

Yes, it's essentially a reverse drain, and the top is open, so the pressure is quite low there, but there's still 60 feet of head pressure at the bottom.

Curious as to why you used PVC instead of metal pipe for compressed air?

the inner diameter of sch80 is very restrictive

That's the kicker - not only is it unnecessary, it's more expensive and gives you less flow. It is a pretty grey, though...

Whatever helps you sleep at night..

A rocket engineer stand and sch80... Sure.. Go for it.. :)

Yes, it's essentially a reverse drain, and the top is open, so the pressure is quite low there, but there's still 60 feet of head pressure at the bottom.

Curious as to why you used PVC instead of metal pipe for compressed air?

That's the kicker - not only is it unnecessary, it's more expensive and gives you less flow. It is a pretty grey, though...

Pvc Is much cleaner and will NOT Rust .

I do not find GRAY PRETTY .... I am ore of pastel color kinda chic..

Haven't you heard? Grey is the new pink! Maybe we can get BRS to start stocking PVC in a light mauve, ya think?

Back