SCMAS Meeting February 16th -*Nuisance Algae

SCMAS Meeting

When: Friday, February 16, 2018 @ 7:00 p.m.
Where: IHOP, 1001 E 17th St, Santa Ana CA 92701-2546

Topic: Nuisance Algae
This months meeting we will discuss Nuisance Algae. This month will be a round table discussion about the topic that plages us all at one point or another. Even the most advanced reefers have issues with these algae from time to time. Steve Garrett has volunteered to bring his microscope in to help identify your Nuisance Algae issues. Please bring samples of any Nuisance Algae that you are having issues with.

Also don't forget, February 17th is the first SCMAS field trip! See email for more details.

My daughter Mia wanted me to advise you all that she will be bringing Girl Scout cookies to sell at the meeting. If you know what you want, shoot me a email and I will make sure she has it ready for you. She can also bring to the Field trip as well.

Don't forget to bring your water samples to have them tested by Steve Garrett. (He may not be able to test depending on how many algae samples there are.)

Also, be sure to get your raffle tickets for another amazing raffle!

I didn't received any email regarding field trip. I paid my membership in the first meeting
Anthony

I haven't killed anything yet which is something you can't say. Lol

Very True. Then again I have never had more issues with any tank i have had my hands on. some of this was due to equipment the other is starting a tank with dry rock. The end of the day huge set backs. Lessons learned.

you young grasshopper have a long way to go on the big tank. Cody's on his way. lets see how his tank thrives then again he is a polyp guy.

Richard I could not agree with you more about the rock. I also used dry rock,made rockscaping easier but caused all kinds of other issues. Fortunately for me tank is looking great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What specific issues did you guys encounter with the dry rock? Was it new or previously used? Did you seed bacteria and introduce a source of ammonia? What specific problems did you have with water quality? Elevated nitrates and phosphates? Algae issues?

What specific issues did you guys encounter with the dry rock? Was it new or previously used? Did you seed bacteria and introduce a source of ammonia? What specific problems did you have with water quality? Elevated nitrates and phosphates? Algae issues?

Dry rock takes a lot longer to mature so don't be in a hurry to add SPS to your tank

Dry rock takes a lot longer to mature so don't be in a hurry to add SPS to your tank

I don't plan on it. Its not freshly mined dry rock though. It was running in a tank for quite some time. Sure they'll be some die off but IMO not the same as dry rock that was just pulled from the ground.

I'm into softies anyway LOL @wishntobeoutside. I think there were sticks in "Cody's 120 Gallon". Its been so long I don't remember.

Cody its been a while as I recall polyps and chalices. i am hoping you still have that one from Jake.. Dry rock is missing fauna or something as it took a long time for my tank to mature. I have discussed this with many other reefers so I am no longer discouraged at I know these tanks require patience

Raffle donation. Thanks Reef HD
48744b341d82ec8b8d9a55330a128495.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Dry Rock took 2 years to establish in my large system and I went through several different algae and bacterial bloom cycles I do not see with Live Rock. I do not think we understand the roll of Micro-fauna in the reef and that while we add several strains of bacteria to help kick start Dry Rock, it is nothing compared to the thousands found in nature.

I will never start a tank dry again! I would rather have to deal with a few pests than have to go through the years of scratching my head not understanding why my results were nothing compared to my first tank off Craigs list that came well established.

I started my 90 Coral Quarantine with dry rock and it grew this crazy thick Matt type hair algae that covered anything I put in tank. About 6 weeks ago I bought 60lbs of 5 year old established live rock and with no other changes the algae is gone. The Nitrates are almost undetectable as well and I was always having Nitrate issues before because of dry rock.

Live Rocks importance can not be underrated! I will never Cook, Bleach, or let my rock dry out again!

Email List and Membership cards: I apologize, but I have not processed any new membership cards yet from first meeting or Online entries. I usually process when I print the cards out, and the card printer has been misplaced from being used at the Reefapalooza Show. We are hoping that Phil can find in the morning at SCMAS storage in Orange and Kelly can help me get cards printed tomorrow. If not I do have a list of members that I will check off at Field Trip. PM me for details if you do not plan on making tomorrows meeting. The Field trip is for Saturday morning at 10am and you do have to be a member to attend. If for some reason Card Machine is MIA from storage the cards will have to wait until the next meeting. Sorry Guys!

Scott I could not agree with you more. I have not had all the issues that you have experienced but what I have had is enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have a fish trap that I can borrow? Need to catch one fish. Let me know, see everyone at the meeting tomorrow.

Anyone have glass suction cups they would be willing to let me use? I plan on attending the meeting tomorrow and would be very grateful.

Back