SCMAS Meeting June 15th (Speaker: Dr. Richard Pyle)

gcarroll

SCMAS Meeting*

When: Friday, June*15, 2018*@ 7:00 p.m.
Where: IHOP, 1001 E 17th St, Santa Ana CA 92701-2546

Speaker: Dr. Richard Pyle

Dr. Richard Pyle was born and raised in Hawaii, where his passion for "all things fish" began at a very early age. He set up his first aquarium when he was five years old, and started scuba diving when he was thirteen. By the time he was nineteen, he wound up living in Palau where his passion for discovering new fishes lured him into deep water, resulting in a crippling case of decompression sickness while diving with world-renown ichthyologist John "Jack" Randall. Jack then offered him a job in the fish collection of the Bernice P. Bishop Museum in Honolulu, where Richard continues to work nearly two decades later.*

Earning his PhD under Jack's tutelage, Richard's passion for undersea exploration never waned. Determined to continue exploring of the coral reef "Twilight Zone" (200-500 feet deep) in a safe and responsible way, he was among the pioneers of modern Technical Diving in the late 1980's. In 1994 he began as a test-diver for the prototype Cis-Lunar MK-4 closed-circuit rebreather, and has traveled the Pacific in search of new species of fishes on*
deep coral reefs - which he and his colleagues are discovering at a rate of eleven new species per hour of bottom time.*

Richard has authored over a hundred scientific, technical, and popular articles and has been featured in dozens of documentary films (including the IMAX film, Coral-Reef Adventure). He was a founding member and is currently on the Board of Directors for the Association for Marine Exploration - a non-profit organization dedicated to conducting innovative scientific exploration using advanced diving equipment and techniques. In 2004, he was selected by Esquire magazine for the "Best and Brightest" issue, and was also recipient of the "Genius Award" from General Electric to help support his research.

Also, we will discuss our pending July 21st*tank tour, exciting upcoming speakers, raffle items, and so much more!

Don't forget to bring your water samples to have them tested by Steve Garrett.*

Also, be sure to get your raffle tickets for another amazing raffle!*

Funny how in the video, there's narration that sounds like it's coming from the divers yet the divers don't have the type of mask/reg where you can talk.

I have been doing some reading about this months speaker. This man is truly a rock star in the aquarium world,the things he has accomplished are absolutely fascinating. Please just read some of the articles, here is just one http://www.alertdiver.com/Richard_Pyle. He discovered the Peppermint Angel,among others.
Please don't let this opportunity pass you by.

I have a bunch of RR Nauti Spiral Monti frags. $10 for a large chunk. I can bring to the meeting if anyone is interested.

I have some green branching hammer corals that I can bring $5.00 per head some big pieces. I also have a few 3to 5 inch yellow leathers for those doing a mixed reef. 20 each.

let me know and I can bring to the meeting.

I have some green branching hammer corals that I can bring $5.00 per head some big pieces. I also have a few 3to 5 inch yellow leathers for those doing a mixed reef. 20 each.

Do you have a picture of the hammer? I have so many different ones already and dont want more duplicates. Also ill take a yellow leather and can bring me your file fish.

bb2dca1b33c0114d44187fdc378e76d4.jpg

Do you have a picture of the hammer? I have so many different ones already and dont want more duplicates. Also ill take a yellow leather and can bring me your file fish.

bb2dca1b33c0114d44187fdc378e76d4.jpg

hello John the hammer I have looks very close to the upper left one you have.. green with purple.

I'll take some Richard. thanks!

btw do you mind pming me the brand name of your chiller? Summer is here again. I think I'll take the plunge and buy that AC unit. tank is running on 80 degrees

Back